GET IN! Droplet collisions a-gogo!

Edit My Images
Yes
These are some of the nicest ones I got :)

My absolute favourite:

#1.

15.jpg

And others:

#2.
14.jpg

#3.
MidAir11.jpg

#4.
MidAir9.jpg

#5.
MidAir1.jpg

Oh... and the set up :)

SetUp.jpg

:LOL:

nice captures mate!

can you describe how the bottle/drip system works?

nice captures mate!

can you describe how the bottle/drip system works?

Thanks Robbo! Sure thing.

It's airline tubing, syphoning milk/water/dye out of the bottle. On the end is a changeable valve thingy to change the flow rate:

Valve.jpg

So I can adjust that until I have the rate at which two drops will hit each other :)

Bought them from my local pet shop yesterday for £3.99!

Thanks Robbo! Sure thing.

It's airline tubing, syphoning milk/water/dye out of the bottle. On the end is a changeable valve thingy to change the flow rate:

Valve.jpg

So I can adjust that until I have the rate at which two drops will hit each other :)

Bought them from my local pet shop yesterday for £3.99!

Nice shots, and thanks for sharing the technique

Love the first one.
Number 4 is great too, looks like a UFO!

Interesting and effective set up you have aswell!

Excellent, well done.

Thanks!

Nice setup and result... I really should have another go at this!

Do, do!

Nice shots, and thanks for sharing the technique

No worries :) Thanks.

Love the first one.
Number 4 is great too, looks like a UFO!

Interesting and effective set up you have aswell!

Haha, it does. And yes, thanks. Just had another go... got these couple. Shame the quality isn't as good, there is far too much background light during the day that I can't get rid of! :(

Yellow1.jpg

Yellow6.jpg

Interestingly, they both have 26 blobs on the outside... coincidence?

Interestingly, they both have 26 blobs on the outside... coincidence?

I would say that if the droplets are exactly the same size dropping from the same height it wouldn't be a coincidence as the law of physics would be the same ?
Great interesting shots, it's an art in itself (y)

Stunning, well done

I would say that if the droplets are exactly the same size dropping from the same height it wouldn't be a coincidence as the law of physics would be the same ?
Great interesting shots, it's an art in itself (y)

Yeh, this is what I thought. All the drops aren't that consistent, despite how I'd like them to be, but there will indeed be a range at which they will be in I guess :)

And yes, I agree... I love taking photos of things we might not see otherwise, such as these!

Excellent shots and I like the syphon tubing use. I must admit, as I like to do a little vinting from time to time I have a couple of syphon tubes with a flow tap on the end and was also thinking of employing a spare demi-john and tube :)

Excellent shots and I like the syphon tubing use. I must admit, as I like to do a little vinting from time to time I have a couple of syphon tubes with a flow tap on the end and was also thinking of employing a spare demi-john and tube :)

Reckon get xmas out of the way and you're inspiring me :)

Reckon get xmas out of the way and you're inspiring me :)

I'll look forward to the hoards of pictures after xmas :LOL: I'm a loser and carry on taking these xmas eve :|

I realise now I maybe should have asked for an external flash for xmas :(

Great captures, they're certainly more interesting than your average droplet pics!
Is it just me or do they seem a little underexposed though? They're quite abstract material and don't think they suit the darker tones/colours.
Really like the last one you posted, looks like a squid or some bizarre sea creature :)

Great captures, they're certainly more interesting than your average droplet pics!
Is it just me or do they seem a little underexposed though? They're quite abstract material and don't think they suit the darker tones/colours.
Really like the last one you posted, looks like a squid or some bizarre sea creature :)

But yes, specially the yellow background ones, are under exposed. It's due to the fact that I don't have an external flash, and so am relying on reducing the (effective) shutter speed by reducing the in built flash down, which makes them darker.

Add extra light, and the shutter speed is as set at 1/200 (min speed with the flash on), and the pictures will be blurred. Tis annoying...

I'll look forward to the hoards of pictures after xmas :LOL: I'm a loser and carry on taking these xmas eve :|

I realise now I maybe should have asked for an external flash for xmas :(

hehe, I would myself but with the little'un barrelling round very excited there's little time hehe :)

I'd definitely recommend an ext. flash when you can and get some Jianisi PT04-TM wireless triggers. £10 for a sender/receiver set off Ebay :)

hehe, I would myself but with the little'un barrelling round very excited there's little time hehe :)

I'd definitely recommend an ext. flash when you can and get some Jianisi PT04-TM wireless triggers. £10 for a sender/receiver set off Ebay :)

Haha, aww bless!

And yeh, they are certainly on my "to buy" list, with the wireless triggers! I was thinking of a 430EX?

Perhaps shoot in RAW and boost exposure in camera raw or similar?

Hmm, I may do this. I'll go have a go right now with the flash on more, and see what I get. They might not be too bad... but other shots with the flash turned up seem to be too blurry.

Fantastic Captures I Really Like No.1 And No.4 Very Sharp And Crisp And Great Colours Very Well Done

Kirk

Excellent effort, love the set up.

Thanks! :)

Fantastic Captures I Really Like No.1 And No.4 Very Sharp And Crisp And Great Colours Very Well Done

Kirk

Thank you indeedies :)

So, these are some I just took this second. For the record: 65 shots, 10 keepers... this system works!

These are much lighter, much nicer. I have some of them in RAW too, so will have a play.

Mexican hat:

LightYellow5.jpg

Nice one:

LightYellow6.jpg

"We're sinkin' cap'in'!"

LightYellow9.jpg

:LOL:

More brilliant shots :)

Yes a 430 EX II would suit the setup very nicely.

Really like the 'UFO' ones, really well done, must have taken alot of time to get it right.

Loving these pics. A couple of questions if I can be nosy:

1. What exactly is a "changeable valve thingy"? I might feel a tad silly walking into my local aquarium shop asking for one of those :)

2. Whats your "mix"? Looks like you've got some milk in there.

I'm loving the water droplet macro but I'm still missing those illusive crowns. :thinking:

Thanks in advance.

Barney

More brilliant shots :)

Yes a 430 EX II would suit the setup very nicely.

Thanks :) And cool! I'll keep an eye on ebay for a reasonably priced one...

Really like the 'UFO' ones, really well done, must have taken alot of time to get it right.

To get the initial set up, it took ages of trial and error. Once set up and I know what I am doing, in the last little run I got 10 keepers from 65 shots! :D

Loving these pics. A couple of questions if I can be nosy:

1. What exactly is a "changeable valve thingy"? I might feel a tad silly walking into my local aquarium shop asking for one of those :)

2. Whats your "mix"? Looks like you've got some milk in there.

I'm loving the water droplet macro but I'm still missing those illusive crowns. :thinking:

Thanks in advance.

Barney

1. Erm... it's a T and Elbow joint piece made by Arcadia I believe, which you can connect two airlines to, and vary the amount of air going through via a screwing clamp thingy on it. Sorry for the vagueness, I described that to the guy, and he knew what I meant! :LOL: I can grab I a picture if it's still confusing :)

2. Varies. The first one was dyed water, with yellow 50/50 milk/water as the droplets.

The yellowy ones are similar 50/50 milk/water dyed blue as the drops, and about 75/25 milk/water as the yelllow. :)

I'll look out for some piccies!

A mighty (y) from me, l love your setup and great results. Now you've got the "mechanics" of it all sorted you can start playing with different backgrounds and lighting effects to get some great splog effects.

Great shots, glad you finally got some collisions! :D

Can you buy that valve thingy online? Ebay maybe?

A mighty (y) from me, l love your setup and great results. Now you've got the "mechanics" of it all sorted you can start playing with different backgrounds and lighting effects to get some great splog effects.

Thanks Carl!

And yep, exactly! After seeing some of the stuff you've done with drops, I'm going to but my self some glycerin and have a go with that, and some darker food dyes. Asda's own food dyes were rubbish :thumbsdown:

I really need an external flash to really give them that "wow" factor though I think. In terms of lowering the effective shutter rate and backlighting/flashing the drops...

Great shots, glad you finally got some collisions! :D

Can you buy that valve thingy online? Ebay maybe?

Thanks, me too!

And yep, I am sure. I'll have a quick look...

Yep, here you go!

Thanks Carl!

I really need an external flash to really give them that "wow" factor though I think. In terms of lowering the effective shutter rate and backlighting/flashing the drops...

Yup, come new year I'm ordering some off camera flash gubbins from FlashInThePan (probably 2 flashguns and wireless triggers) to get to grips with the whole lighting malarky :bonk:

Excellent shots Ash. Love the first one.

I have just made a marriotte siphon, so i can start playing around and try to get some collisions. I havent got one of the airline valves but looks like that s a good idea, will save me using cd cases to raise the bottle and regulate the drips. Hope mine turn out as well as these.

Yup, come new year I'm ordering some off camera flash gubbins from FlashInThePan (probably 2 flashguns and wireless triggers) to get to grips with the whole lighting malarky :bonk:

Buy me one too, 'cos you love me? :LOL::LOL:

I'll check out that site :D

Excellent shots Ash. Love the first one.

I have just made a marriotte siphon, so i can start playing around and try to get some collisions. I havent got one of the airline valves but looks like that s a good idea, will save me using cd cases to raise the bottle and regulate the drips. Hope mine turn out as well as these.

Thanks :) I hope it works! Post some up if you get some good'uns! (y)

Excellent captures! thanks for the set up pics and explanation (y) just gonna raid my fishtank cupboard for parts!!

No worries! :) I felt silly having to BUY airline and parts... I used to have an abundance of it when I kept fish :( Had to give up for uni though...

Back