Gimbal tripod heads

I bought an indian version and IMHO it is very good (y),

This is the Jobu Design one, right? Did you buy a custom lens plate for your Benro gimbal or just use the one bundled with it?

buckas,

I noticed that your 400's feet isn't using the anti twist feature of your plate. Was this done intentionally?

Do I seem to remember some post a while back where Redsnapper are going to be making a gimbal?

Anyone any news or idea?

Yes, I can confirm no news :)

I spoke to Joe Redsnapper last week. Very interesting conversation actually, about who makes what (the Chinese make most tripods these days, including many big brands) and how much it all really costs (the mark-up on a £500 tripod is truly astronomic) :eek:

Anywayz, I asked about the gimbal which they are actually planning to manufacture in their own workshops, unlike other Redsnapper products which are made in China, in the same factory as Slik . They've had a slight problem securing the bearings so that they lock solidly, but that is now sorted and they're ready to move forward, but other things have got in the way.

Joe pointed out that it would be a very low volume seller, and I guess therefore a relatively low priority. He couldn't give me a date.

Yes, I can confirm no news :)

I spoke to Joe Redsnapper last week. Very interesting conversation actually, about who makes what (the Chinese make most tripods these days, including many big brands) and how much it all really costs (the mark-up on a £500 tripod is truly astronomic) :eek:

Anywayz, I asked about the gimbal which they are actually planning to manufacture in their own workshops, unlike other Redsnapper products which are made in China, in the same factory as Slik . They've had a slight problem securing the bearings so that they lock solidly, but that is now sorted and they're ready to move forward, but other things have got in the way.

Joe pointed out that it would be a very low volume seller, and I guess therefore a relatively low priority. He couldn't give me a date.

I emailed Joe at Redsnapper a week or so ago regarding progress, he replied that he is looking at some time in the Spring. I shall just have to see how desperate I get before then.

Merry Xmas and happy new year to you all.

Paul.

J-2 ballhead turned up this morning, very nice indeed! :)

Buckas, I'm currently looking to purchase a new tripod & head, and have been looking at the Benro kit.

As yourself, I have the 400mm f5.6, so I'm looking to support that with my 7D.

Now that you have the ball head, do you consider it worth the extra expense for the gimbal, or do you think you could've managed with just the ball head?

probably would do the job - i love the gimbal though, and would always use that with the 400 :) got the ballhead for landscape work, with smaller lenses

drew

Cheers Drew.

Guess I'll be ordering the same kit as yourself. Christ, the plastic has taken a hammering this month...
chuckle.gif

I also can don an engineers hat, and think the Manfrotto one to be a rip off.

Could you explain why please?............:shrug:

As has already been said just seems to be 2 connected u shaped brackets.
If I was still working i could probably knock one of those up in an hour.

Cheers Drew.

Guess I'll be ordering the same kit as yourself. Christ, the plastic has taken a hammering this month...
chuckle.gif

Karl, I have the same as Drew. Benro C-257 M8 pod and J-2 head. While he also has the full gimbal, I'm going to get the Benro side-kick. I think it will be fine for my biggest lens, 100-400L, plus it's cheaper/lighter/smaller. It will just have to do for the odd occasion when I hire a big prime. I'm sure it will manage :)

I also can don an engineers hat, and think the Manfrotto one to be a rip off. I have been looking at these. Worth a look.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gimbal-Head-f...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item58850dab11

If you look at it from a simple engineering point of view, I agree with you. There is no way manufacturers can justify those prices, but they do because we keep paying them!

Interesting link to that gimbal - a full monty job for £125 probably explains why Redsnapper are not rushing into this market. They would probably struggle to make it any better or any cheaper.

I did order the gimbal head, with the tripod and the ballhead in the end. I figured I might as well get it all in one hit, it's done then, and hopefully I'll get a good few years out of them. I'm off to the Falkand Islands in February too, and wanted to have a decent platform to work with down there.

Will let you know how they worked out in June when I get back. :)

Fair comment. But they are a lot cheaper than some other gimbal type heads.

If you look at it from a simple engineering point of view, I agree with you. There is no way manufacturers can justify those prices, but they do because we keep paying them!

Interesting link to that gimbal - a full monty job for £125 probably explains why Redsnapper are not rushing into this market. They would probably struggle to make it any better or any cheaper.

Could not agree more Hoppy, that head linked recently seems very good VFM.

Just an FYI, ordered my Benro kit on the 24th December, arrived on 30th, no charges from customs. Great service.

Donning my engineers hat too ;)

It is 2 bent pieces of metal, with at least 3 bearing faces, with friction washers, and a quick release mount and 2 plates. Would be interested to see anybody knock that lot up in an hour for a one off ;) on a production run yes its cost effective to do, but if you had to pay for the materials and didnt nick it from work, i would be very surprised if it was any cheaper than the manfrotto head at the end of the day ;)

Hmmmm....I spoke to a very good mate of mine who manufactures parts for Lamborghini and Ferrari about making similar out of Ally, he said the initial batch would be very expensive and the ensuing orders would probably not beat the OEM price.

Hmmmm....I spoke to a very good mate of mine who manufactures parts for Lamborghini and Ferrari about making similar out of Ally, he said the initial batch would be very expensive and the ensuing orders would probably not beat the OEM price.

Yep would agree with that ;)

Having made F1 parts, and quite a lot of MOD stuff over 12 years, small order runs are very expensive, if you can make thousands of them with slave, sorry cheap labour available, you would stand a chance, which is why all the copies are Chinese ;)

Hi All
I have a question about Gimble heads !!! Which one to get !!!!
I use the Whimberly II head with the D3 and 600mm (this is very heavy ) and , this is the best gimble head I have found for its fluid smooth precision to handle this weight
I am looking for personal reviews on them for the
Tripodo
Jubo
Benio

I live in Canada
nikonimages.com/black knight

THXs
Blacknight

Back