Gramps 1-100 Strangers *Completed*

Roger, if you or others don't mind (I don't want to tread on anyone's toes) then I'd certainly like to give this idea a go. I think its an excellent thread.

Roger, if you or others don't mind (I don't want to tread on anyone's toes) then I'd certainly like to give this idea a go. I think its an excellent thread.
George I have no monopoly on photography, I am only doing what others have done.
I would be interested to see how others approach the project, so please go ahead and start your thread. :)

Today was a bit of a reality check!
1. Weather was supposed to be dry throughout the morning but it wasn't with regular drizzle showers and me not having taken a jacket with me.
2. I messed up two shots by tripping the shutter when the subjects eyes were closed - I didn't check!
3. I had four refusals this morning, (the weather?), three were pleasant refusals and one was a very angry "no, no, no" ... I just wished him a good day. :)

17. Errol

Errol
by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Errol was out on the Bristol Harbourside walking his two small terrier dogs.
He was interested in what I was doing and asked me about my photography in general ... how long, what type etc.
Very pleasant exchange, (and he didn't have a weird walk :LOL: ). :)

18. Dougie (pronounced Doogee)

Dougie

Dougie is a bit of a character who runs around Bristol in trainers, shorts and a face-mask.
I have seen him running before but never spoken with him but I decided to hail him down and see if I could chat and take a photo.
Dougie is originally from Glasgow and is a fitness fanatic, he runs a fitness business in Bristol, decidedly less eccentric to speak to than he appears.

19. Christina

Christina

Christina was out for a jog along the Harbourside near the M-Shed, a popular area for many joggers.
Lovely lady who was friendly to talk to and thankfully didn't jog on the spot while I took the photo..

20. Josh

Josh

Josh works at the nearby Bristol Aquarium and had cycled into the city and was sitting on a bench with a snack before going into work.
He said that he didn't take a good photo as his hair was always blowing about so I assured him that it wasn't going to today!
Didn't check the shot so didn't notice his eyes were closed. :headbang:

21. Dani

Dani

Dani had picked up a coffee and was on her way to work at a nearby office.
"It's D.A.N.I. not Danny". Another mess-up with the eyes ... must try harder!

22. Arwa

Arwa

Arwa is in Bristol on the final year of her Masters Degree, she comes from Saudi Arabia.
Quite specific on the pose she wanted but I preferred the one I shot first, after her posed shot she asked me to take one of her on her phone and if I would email the posed photo I took, which I will do.

Roger, this is one of the most interesting threads I've seen on TP.
Full marks for coming up with the idea, & executing it so well.

Roger, this is one of the most interesting threads I've seen on TP.
Full marks for coming up with the idea, & executing it so well.
Thanks for the encouragement Pete but I can't claim credit for the idea ... a past member @blakester did it some years ago and did it very well indeed, I have a long way to go before I can claim to do it as well as he did. However I am pleased that you have enjoyed my efforts. :)

Last edited:
Some really great images Roger, I really do love the look and pose that Arwa is doing.
Thanks Dave, Arwa wasn't quite prepared for the shot here and it was completely natural, which I think is what makes it so appealing. :)

I often talk about comfort zones, and this is way out of mine, I couldn't do it. My Wife says though "out of your comfort zone is where the magic happens."

Looking good Roger, keep it up. (y)

I often talk about comfort zones, and this is way out of mine, I couldn't do it. My Wife says though "out of your comfort zone is where the magic happens."

Looking good Roger, keep it up. (y)
Thanks Dale, it has been quite an experience really and I have found it much easier to do than I thought I might. :)

Once I did ask a bar lady if I could take her photo and she said yes, so looking at your images here I have decided I will have a go at this.
@gramps Do you take a note pad to write down their names ?
Oh great stuff Dave, look forward to seeing your project develop ... I actually use the Notes feature on my iPhone to record names and any other info.

Nice additions Gramps. I like the calmness that Josh is giving off.

Nice smile from Christina, and solid BG colour works well.

And yes, another one loving Arwa's pose.

(y)

Nice smile from Christina, and solid BG colour works well.

And yes, another one loving Arwa's pose.

(y)
Thanks David, glad you like that one too. :)
Do you have a set question or two that you asked them?
" Hello, my name is Roger and I am a hobby photographer"
"I'm doing a little personal project to photograph 100 strangers ... that's not strange people but people I don't know :LOL: "
"Would you please be prepared to be part of my project by allowing me to take a photograph of you?"
(Whatever they say I smile and politely respond).

After taking the photo I say, "So my name is Roger, what is your name?"
Then if it seems appropriateI I ask a bit more ... "Are you off to work now?", "What brings you here today?" etc.

23. Paddy

Paddy by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Paddy's jacket caught my eye and I thought he was a biker but it turns out that he is homeless :(
Not a lot to say for himself but I gave him a few quid to help out.

24. Sibiyah

Sibiyah by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Sibiyah works near St Nicholas Market but was on her lunch break and sitting by the waterside near the Arnolfini.
She was very friendly and happy to chat.

25. Rob

Rob by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Rob works as a volunteer at the M-Shed complex, he does tours around the complex for visitors and likes ice-cream! :)

26. Freya

Freya by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Freya is studying at the Bristol University Campus at Ashton Court Estate and was just on her way home.

27. Yusuf

Yusuf

Yusuf lives in Luton but is originally from Turkey, he had taken his car to Avonmouth ready to take it back to Turkey.
He was in Bristol with his friend Serkan.

28. Serkan

Serkan by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Serham, also from Turkey originally was in Bristol with Yusuf (above).

Last edited:
29. Jen

Jen

Jen came hurtling along the pavement on her Voi scooter ... a flash of colour through the city.
She works locally.

30. Ray

Ray

Ray was sitting outside the Brunel Buttery on Bristol's Waterfront with a cup of coffee, In braces and a white T-shirt I assumed Ray was one of the cooks ... he owns it!
A friend of many visitors and locals who love coffee, bacon sarnies, breakfast rolls etc etc etc. :D

31. Joanne

Joanne

Joanne works at Brunel's Buttery and Ray (above) roped her into having her photo taken too.
She was painting some sign boards inside the cabin.

32. Mark

Mark

Mark comes from Brighton but has his own online business so he can travel around and work at the same time.
He was staying in Bristol for a short while.

33. Amy

Amy

Amy was another friendly young lady. She was on her day off and was waiting for a friend who she had arranged to have lunch with.

34. Ben (with cameo appearance by yours truly!)

Ben

Ben was with a group of friends eating from the street food stands on the Bristol City Centre (though he was walking back to the group when I asked for his photo).
It was a source of hilarity to his friends. I wouldn't normally approach a group but I didn't realise he was with others at the time.

Another great set Roger, love the reflection in Bens glasses.
I did try today but got so many NO so gave up.
Thanks Dave.
Sorry you got the rejections ... don't let it put you off. :)

I agree with Dave, really good set and really good to see this project going from strength to strength

Very good set Gramps. More more more.

36. Patrick

Patrick

Patrick was walking across the city centre when I approached him - how did I want him to pose? he asked?
He asked if I would send him a copy of the photo and wrote his email address on my iPhone ... done.
When I asked him where he lived he pointed up and said "up there" ... I looked at the sky and he said, "No ... High Kingsdown!".

37. Kimberley

Kimberley

Kimberley was waiting for a male friend, who arrived as I was taking her photo but he was cool with it.
She was originally from Bournemouth but now living in Bristol to attend the University.

38. Ashley

Ashley

Ashley was waiting at the bus stop near Broadmead, having done some shopping.
I hesitated to approach someone in a bus queue but thought 'what the heck!' ... Ashley was fine with it but we had an audience in the bus queue and the nearby KFC.

39. Huriya

Huriya

I could immediately sense that Huriya was not at ease with me but she clearly didn't want to offend.
Yes I could take her picture but I must not photograph her whole face, she would look to the side.
Huriya would only tell me that she was visiting Bristol.

40. John

John

John was in Bristol with his wife (you're not taking my photo, it'll break your lens!") on a visit from mid-Wales.
His wife told me that John often gets asked for his photo.

41. Justin

Justin

Justin was standing outside of Corals Bookmakers, where he works and was on a 'fag-break'.
As well as the unusually coloured hair Justin had a pair of different coloured trainers on ... obviously a great attraction as a stranger came over to ask where he had bought them, odd world! :LOL:

With this set, i think you have upped your game Gramps. Great job.

Nearly halfway point Roger, well done :clap:.........but ya do know you're making it look too easy ;)

On a side note, did you ask John (no.40) if he had a twin called Malcolm? I know his double, they could've been separated at birth :LOL:

Nearly halfway point Roger, well done :clap:.........but ya do know you're making it look too easy ;)

On a side note, did you ask John (no.40) if he had a twin called Malcolm? I know his double, they could've been separated at birth :LOL:
Thanks Phil ... no John didn't mention a twin! :D

It's feeling a bit like shelling peas now - over half way to my 100! :)

42. Oliver

Oliver by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Oliver Woods is a local artist.
I met him as he was in his motorised wheelchair going alongside the M-Shed in Bristol.
He was going for a coffee before holding a class at the M-Shed

43. Christina

Christina by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Christina is visiting Bristol from Barcelona.
She spoke English very well and was interested to learn that I had friends near her home.

44. Luke

Luke by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Luke was coming across Pero's Bridge with his 8 month-old son in a buggy.
Luke was taking his son to a playgroup.

45. Gwyneth

Gwyneth by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Gwyneth is from Cardiff but is in Bristol attending the University.

46. Chris

Chris by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Chris was waiting for his bus, he lives in the Speedwell area of Bristol and suddenly took off when his bus arrived. :)

47. Erin

Erin by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Erin was going back to her office nearby and was another in a rush but agreed to pose if I was quick.

Last edited:
48. Ashwaq

Ashwaq by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Ashwaq was another waiting for a bus but friendly and allowed me to take her photo.

49. Nat

Nat by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Nat is a PCSO with the Avon & Somerset Constabulary ... this is him giving me "a big smile".

50. Laura

Laura by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Laura was incredibly nervous ... she was outside the Watershed and told me she was going for an interview for a job and the interviewer was on their way down to let her in!
Lovely Laura let me take her photo quickly ... hope you get the job Laura. :)

51. Angela

Angela by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

As I approached Angela I saw the bruised eye and thought I would get a refusal but Angela was a good sport and after mentioning her bruise allowed me to take her photo.
Angela lives in Westbury-on-Trym and was upset that her usual bus had been diverted as a result of a road closure.
Does getting agreement from a woman with a bruised eye earn extra points? :LOL:

52. Julia

Julia by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Julia sounded American when I approached but actually lives in Bristol.

Last edited:
Back