Gramps 1-100 Strangers *Completed*

Drum Roll ....... I finally got me a :police: ... :banana::banana::banana:

You wait for one for days and then six come along together! :LOL:
(At the Bristol Crown Court, where ex-soldier Colin Reeves is on trial for the murder of his neighbours, Stephen & Jennifer Chapple.)

95. Oz

Oz
by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Oz was part of the team assigned to the court today, when it is thought that the case could conclude.
He doesn't really do 'smile' but made an effort after I reassured him that I didn't have any ulterior motive.

96. Ian

Ian

Ian is a Bristol Parking Warden and is huge, he must be getting on for 7' 0" tall!
He was out with a Supervisor about half his height and looked to be undergoing training.
He had plenty to do with vehicles parked outside of the court and causing problems for the prison vans, so left the street with a lighter ticket pocket!

97. Dave

Dave by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Dave is a 'Big Issue' seller who has a regular pitch at Castle Park, opposite Union Street, Bristol.
I was sitting nearby with a coffee when someone approached him and asked, "Got any spare change?" to which he replied, "You're joking I've only made 70p this morning so far!".
When I finished my coffee I went up to Dave and asked if I could include him in my project (I didn't by a magazine) and he readily agreed.
Having taken the photo I made a donation but didn't take the magazine.

98. Chris

Chris by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Having been to the Avon Fire & Rescue HQ at Temple Back and being unable to get any response I was thinking that a Fireman was going to be the same sort of problem as a Policeman!
However, back on the city centre I spotted a young woman carrying material and bags marked 'Avon Fire & Rescue' so I explained what I was doing and she interrupted to sat that there was a Fire Engine near the Arnolfini Gallery and some firemen were making there way back to it across Pero's Bridge. I sprinted off (well ... walked quickly!) but half way across Pero's Bridge I saw the Fire Engine drive past! Walking back I spotted what turned out to be Chris and one of his colleagues who were visiting club & restaurant premises adjacent to Millenium Square ... so all was not lost. :)

99. Phil

Phil by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Phil works for First (Firstbus) and was making his way toward Broadmead.
He was interested to hear about my project and asked how I found people's response. I told him that I had experienced about 95% positive and most people were very friendly. We agreed that friendliness probably came from the one-to-one approach rather than the group/social media mentality.

Sooo just the one 'uniform' subject for my last 10 to go!

I've got the following subjects so far:-
  1. Barrister
  2. Policeman
  3. Fireman
  4. Nurse
  5. Ambulance Care Assistant
  6. Security Guard
  7. Parking Warden
  8. Bus Employee
  9. 'Big Issue' seller
So what can I aim for to reach my 100th subject?

Ship's Captain?

It should be easy enough to find one in such a big port city. ;)

Last edited:
Ship's Captain?

It should be easy enough to find one in such a big port city. ;)
You would think so, however 'real' ships berth at Avonmouth Docks and access there isn't quite so easy.
However a good suggestion and a possibility of a visiting motor vessel with a 'traditional' owner. :)

Congratulations Gramps, you have done a fantastic job of finding 99 strangers who were willing to let you take their picture. What will the 100th be.?

Congratulations Gramps, you have done a fantastic job of finding 99 strangers who were willing to let you take their picture. What will the 100th be.?
Thanks Roger ... 100th is definitely up in the air at the moment.
Armed Forces Day is apparently on Saturday so there may be an opportunity there, or perhaps a striking railway guard or something today. :thinking:

100. Ben

Ben

Ben is the Deputy Harbour Master at Bristol Harbour and was reluctant to have his photo taken, suggesting that one of his colleagues do so as they were more photogenic!
However my usual charm worked in the end! :LOL:

So 100 and out!
I enjoyed the project immensely and thanks to @sirch for putting the idea in my mind. :)

Well done Roger that was quite an achievement - especially given the short time you completed it in. :)

Congratulations on finishing your project, Roger. And every one a good-un.
Thanks Garry, it was an enjoyable exercise. :)
So, now that's been put to bed, what's the next project, Roger?

You captured a really eclectic mix of strangers, and I bet the whole exercise was a boost to your self-confidence, no matter how self-confident you were before.
Ha ha, not sure about another Malc, we'll see ... it was a confidence boost, and a surprise at how positive most people were. :)
Well done Roger that was quite an achievement - especially given the short time you completed it in. :)
Thanks Trevor, the last was the most difficult to find! :)

I've very much enjoyed following this thread. I think the brief Bio's made it for me, a fleeting glimpse into the horde of humanity we pass every day.

I've very much enjoyed following this thread. I think the brief Bio's made it for me, a fleeting glimpse into the horde of humanity we pass every day.
Thanks so much, it was interesting for me to briefly interact with them and see how so many were really friendly people, something we may not appreciate as we pass. :)

Excellent Roger, well done :clap:........as I said in an earlier post, you've made it look far too easy ;):LOL:

"Excellent" work Roger, and congrat's on completing the full 100 strangers snaps in what seems to me like record time.

Excellent Roger, well done :clap:........as I said in an earlier post, you've made it look far too easy ;):LOL:
Thanks Phil, it was easier than I thought it would be. :)
"Excellent" work Roger, and congrat's on completing the full 100 strangers snaps in what seems to me like record time.
Thanks George. :)

100. Ben

Ben by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Ben is the Deputy Harbour Master at Bristol Harbour and was reluctant to have his photo taken, suggesting that one of his colleagues do so as they were more photogenic!
However my usual charm worked in the end! :LOL:

So 100 and out!
I enjoyed the project immensely and thanks to @sirch for putting the idea in my mind. :)
Well done on getting to 100.
It didn't take you long....

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this project and I admire the guts it takes to do it. I have really enjoyed seeing the photos.

A big round of applause for a job well done. Fantastic effort Gramps.:)

Very well done Roger, that's no mean feat. :clap:

Time for a :beer: , or 6. (y)

Well done! The move from wildlife to people is quite a big step, but not for you. Did you get many rejections or abuse when asking people if they could be photographed?

Well done! The move from wildlife to people is quite a big step, but not for you. Did you get many rejections or abuse when asking people if they could be photographed?
Thank you, it has been a big change but has kept me active with my camera.
I would say I had about 10% rejection with only one person being unpleasant ... the majority (much to my surprise) were very pleasant with some being positively encouraging.
I've seen a couple subsequently and one even remembered my name when greeting me. :)

Well done on a great finish Gramps, you have really done a great job in your 100 strangers so big congrats on finishing.
Thanks Dave, much appreciated ... I look forward to watching your progress through yours. (y)

Well done on achieving your project.
It takes a lot of work to go out and get such a diverse set of portraits but you have done an excellent job.

Note to self... You need to get out and about more!

Well done on achieving your project.
It takes a lot of work to go out and get such a diverse set of portraits but you have done an excellent job.

Note to self... You need to get out and about more!
:LOL: Thanks Jonathan, it was a very enjoyable project and I can recommend it.

Well done on completing this amazing project, gramps (y)
Don't think I would have the guts to do something like this
Thank you Mike, it was actually a lot less fraught than I had imagined it might be. :)

Back