Grey Imports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Can I ask for thoughts on grey imports. I can buy a lens usually several hundred pounds cheaper from places like Panamoz and inclusive of a 3yr warranty as standard. The same canon lens still made by canon similar quality etc is more expensive to buy locally and with only a 1yr warranty. Yet for some reason imports are looked down on especially in classifieds. I still don't understand the rationale for looking on an import as a lesser product. All comments advice welcome.

Do a search as lots in the archives on this. From what I'm seeing today the gap has shrunk some what. Take the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II, it's £1499 in Camera World (my local high street store) and £1322 at Panamoz and £1379 at DigitalRev. At those levels I'd just rather shop locally :)

Can I ask for thoughts on grey imports. I can buy a lens usually several hundred pounds cheaper from places like Panamoz and inclusive of a 3yr warranty as standard. The same canon lens still made by canon similar quality etc is more expensive to buy locally and with only a 1yr warranty. Yet for some reason imports are looked down on especially in classifieds. I still don't understand the rationale for looking on an import as a lesser product. All comments advice welcome.

They're looked down upon because you're supposed to pay import fees on the items you import which would remove most of the savings and it hurts (or at best doesn't help) local outlets. Like the others say this is covered extensively in other threads.

unlike ecigs where people get all worked up about cheap chinese clones , grey imports arent knock offs, copies or the like. just simply the product is earmarked ofr x region and imported for Y region. so normally void of manufacturer warranty though generally in most cases comes with the stores own warranty ( HDEW 3 years for instance ).
so i think its more a moral thing in regard to what is by and large tax evasion as thats where the savings come from.
legally imported ( be it by yourself from overseas or a UK store have to pay a tax duty on it which ups the cost ( no idea how hdew get around this as surely they must pay tax yet there prices are much lower than others ).
though of course there is always the risk you could get clobbered by customs yourself which would wipe out the savings.
also its lining the pockets of overseas companies rather than UK businesses so you have that factor to consider too.
but in terms of actually quality ive seen no difference in the few greys ive had over the years and never had a problem with them in terms of faults .

Thanks for the feedback I couldn't see how there would be a quality difference but was interested when reading in classifieds when an item even out of warranty was advertised as a genuine uk product not a grey import as if it was then even as a 2nd hand item more valuable. I thought maybe there was an issue if it ever came to repairs.

Thanks for the feedback I couldn't see how there would be a quality difference but was interested when reading in classifieds when an item even out of warranty was advertised as a genuine uk product not a grey import as if it was then even as a 2nd hand item more valuable. I thought maybe there was an issue if it ever came to repairs.

Funny I should just read this.

I bought a Canon G7 X from onestop digital. The little button that pops up the flash started sticking after a few months. I told them, they collected the camera, took it back to HK, gave it to Canon out there, they fixed it and onestop sent it back to me. Didn't cost me a penny. I just got it back this morning :)

Downside. It took 4 weeks and one day door to door as Canon didn't have the part?? Saying that I bought a Samsung tablet from John Lewis in Kent. That got a fault, John Lewis sent it to Samsung and I got it back 5 weeks later.

I would say, only buy from places that others have said good things about.

I bought a d7100 for £ 463 as opposed to £749 from here. A no brainer really and I don't see why some get so hung up about it, they're all imported anyway and they all come with a warranty so why waste money buying here? These warranties are rubbish anyway unless it's a mechanism problem you'd be better off getting insurance that covers if you break it which is the more likely thing to happen and your UK warranty won't cover you for.
Never had any problems with grey imports just much cheaper though only for cameras.

Last edited:
Here they want more for a second hand d7100 than I paid for new one??? Surprised they sell any when differences are so great

What I find interesting about grey imports is that some of the sellers such as HDEW and Panamoz offer a 3 year UK warranty which is actually longer than the warranty ffered by Canon UK for their more expensive UK products.

It really makes you think although wherever possible and my pocket allows, I would prefer to buy official UK stock in order to support our UK retailers otherwise we may find that in the future, there won't be anywhere to go and browse cameras :eek:

Well the deed has been done, I have just ordered a Canon 7D Mark II to use as a Wildlife Camera using it along with a Canon 500mm f/4 I have just picked up today, Will be a interested period as I will be using that setup for Wildlife and the remainder of my Nikon gear (D800, 16-35mm & 70-200mm f/2.8VRII) That will be used for Landscape photography.

Well the deed has been done, I have just ordered a Canon 7D Mark II to use as a Wildlife Camera using it along with a Canon 500mm f/4 I have just picked up today, Will be a interested period as I will be using that setup for Wildlife and the remainder of my Nikon gear (D800, 16-35mm & 70-200mm f/2.8VRII) That will be used for Landscape photography.
out of curiosity ( ie im a nosy git ). where did you order from?

What I find interesting about grey imports is that some of the sellers such as HDEW and Panamoz offer a 3 year UK warranty which is actually longer than the warranty ffered by Canon UK for their more expensive UK products.

It really makes you think although wherever possible and my pocket allows, I would prefer to buy official UK stock in order to support our UK retailers otherwise we may find that in the future, there won't be anywhere to go and browse cameras :eek:
Yes I don't know what effect it has on UK retailers but with such price differences you can't blame anyone for going grey, if it was £30 or 40 difference I'd buy here but when it's £286 you'd have be daft

I mainly buy from UK shops,as stuff i do seem to want not much price different,but if i was after say a Nikon D750 with the 24-120 Panamoz here i come :)

ahhh i looke
Panamoz, great service, and very friendly + give you a tenner back for doing a review! 3 Year warranty, what is not to love :D
d on there, they dont sell the lens i want ( tamron 150-600 ) . i could go for the sigma but its not as sharp and i can get it around £150 cheaper SH in the UK from mpb )

Lenses aren't really much cheaper it really only applies to cameras where you get the much cheaper prices

That's a big difference though the ones I've looked at have been the less.expensive lenses, don't even look at them, out of my budget :-(

Last edited:
The 11-24 is less than £2100 at HDEW and panamoz too compared to £2799 in the UK...

Massive difference if you can afford it in the first place, they're pro lenses and pros would probably still purchase here I suspect.
I've just bought the tamron 70 300 vc from wex as the difference is little and I bought new as even second hand the difference isn't worth the small saving, depends on the lens your after.

Last edited:
well the tamron 150-600 average UK price is around £850+ ( apart from HDEW where its £750.
yet on a couple of the well known china sites its sub £600... thats a fair chunk of change right there.

A no brainer really and I don't see why some get so hung up about it, they're all imported anyway and they all come with a warranty so why waste money buying here?
Is that a rhetorical question, or did you want an actual answer?

One reason some people "waste money" is that they prefer not to break the law. You must surely be aware that the vast majority of 'grey' imports have not had import duty or VAT paid on them, and that is generally the only (*) reason why they're cheaper.

Other reasons why people "waste money" is that they believe there is some moral value in paying taxes, and there is some moral and practical value is spending money with UK retailers.

Im not trying to persuade you, and I'm not trying to start an argument. Just answering the question you asked. Feel free to ignore.

(*) Except for newly released items, where UK retailers tend to milk the 'must-have-it-now-at-any-price' brigade. But that's a UK/non-UK issue, not a legal/grey issue.

Yes I'm well aware they may not have paid taxes though it's not something you can know for sure without seeing their records but when I and probably most people are buying something you look for the best deal you can get, I don't wonder whether they have paid this, that or the other and tbh I don't really care, my wallet comes first. That may not sit well on a moral high ground but each to there own.
If some would rather pay another £300 for morals that's their choice. Personally Im not going to see a great deal and wonder " have they paid their import duties "
It also shows what the real value of these cameras are and how much we get ripped off here, is that moral?

Last edited:
well the tamron 150-600 average UK price is around £850+ ( apart from HDEW where its £750.
yet on a couple of the well known china sites its sub £600... thats a fair chunk of change right there.
With the pound being strong against the euro, the 150-600 has also been great value when you buy from the EU.

With the pound being strong against the euro, the 150-600 has also been great value when you buy from the EU.

Correct, sits in the middle at around £675, its the way Id personally go with a 5yr warranty from a retailer that will be there for another 5yrs and will sort it out without any quibble. Obviously the OP wants to go as cheap as possible and service / backup / tax implications arent important.... which is also fine and up to them. I do think we get taken the P out of a little when it comes to new releases in the UK, once the price has settled its not to bad, especially with cashback promos.

Last edited:
Personally Im not going to see a great deal and wonder " have they paid their import duties "
You don't have to wonder. If it's not a newly released item and it's 15-25% cheaper than mainstream UK prices, then it's an illegal import. Simple as that.
It also shows what the real value of these cameras are and how much we get ripped off here, is that moral?
You've lost me there.

If you buy a camera in the UK you pay the price of the camera, plus VAT which goes towards paying for stuff like hospitals. If you buy it from HK, you pay the same price for the camera, but you don't pay the VAT. How does that mean we're being ripped off?

Well no I don't go for a cheap as possible but more for the best deal, i've bought often from the EU, if there's a good warranty and a decent price I'd always go for that over the very cheapest where ever it may be. It all depends on what your looking for and what's available

You don't have to wonder. If it's not a newly released item and it's 15-25% cheaper than mainstream UK prices, then it's an illegal import. Simple as that.
You've lost me there.

If you buy a camera in the UK you pay the price of the camera, plus VAT which goes towards paying for stuff like hospitals. If you buy it from HK, you pay the same price for the camera, but you don't pay the VAT. How does that mean we're being ripped off?

ok so they're illegal imports, so be it, what I'm saying is I don't and nor does anyone else even give it a thought. I'd rather not pay the VAT(that's not the camera value) I pay enough vat already. Its a personal choice at the end of the day, if you don't agree with it don't buy them, if want to save a few bob buy them, I'd rather save a few quid, I don't care what the retailer has or hasn't paid.
Import duties are a rip off anyway, if I send something to the U S for example they pay nothing, if they send something to me I get ripped off with import duties for whats personal not commercial items, its just another way for the government to get money out of you.

Last edited:
its not just VAT though. most of these HK outlets probably have far less overheads than UK retailers. mass products shipped from a massive warehouse, so you have to consider not only VAT markup but profit margin for the UK vendors too.
though it still begs the question how can HDEW be over £100 cheaper than any other UK vendor on the Tamron. and on other lenses and cameras considerably cheaper too.
as for buying grey. for me the choice isnt down to morals, its simply down to how much money i have in my pocket to spend. personally id rather buy in the UK but unless i go SH which isnt without pitfalls then i have little choice ( no i cant save and wait longer , budget is limited by a piece of plastic. ( and SWMBO )

Last edited:
its not just VAT though. most of these HK outlets probably have far less overheads than UK retailers. mass products shipped from a massive warehouse, so you have to consider not only VAT markup but profit margin for the UK vendors too.
though it still begs the question how can HDEW be over £100 cheaper than any other UK vendor on the Tamron. and on other lenses and cameras considerably cheaper too.
as for buying grey. for me the choice isnt down to morals, its simply down to how much money i have in my pocket to spend. personally id rather buy in the UK but unless i go SH which isnt without pitfalls then i have little choice ( no i cant save and wait longer , budget is limited by a piece of plastic. ( and SWMBO )

Exactly everyone or nearly everyone is going to put their budget first and that's all I do, if VAT and duties don't help some retailers well that's the way it is.

Last edited:
L
This is going to open a big can of worms (grey imports are a very heated subject).

Personally I think they're great! As long as you buy from reputable company (Panamoz,HDEW etc) it's completely risk free and saves you a clean fortune!
lol I don't know why its heated really it boils down to personal choice, I wouldn't tell others how and where to spend their money and nobody will tell me where and how to spend mine.

If I buy off Panamoz etc I am buying an illegal import as they are not paying UK tax and vat.

If I buy off Amazon I am buying a legal import, paying the tax and vat BUT Amazon aren't paying it due to having a good accountant (they are probably paying the vat and then are able to claim some of it back :) )

Neither really helps the UK.

If there are savings to be made by the non payment of tax etc I would rather it was to my benefit rather than some big retailer.

:)

Indeed it's not people like us that are the big tax avoiders, it's the big corporations.

Yes I'm well aware they may not have paid taxes though it's not something you can know for sure without seeing their records but when I and probably most people are buying something you look for the best deal you can get, I don't wonder whether they have paid this, that or the other and tbh I don't really care, my wallet comes first. That may not sit well on a moral high ground but each to there own.

It's not a difficult mystery to figure out, you can easily see which companies are selling with and without taxes added.

Out of curiosity where do you draw the line for your wallet? Would you buy stolen goods? Imagine the savings!

If some would rather pay another £300 for morals that's their choice. Personally Im not going to see a great deal and wonder " have they paid their import duties "

You're not getting ripped off, you're paying the taxes required by law. Do you think the companies selling you want to add those taxes on? They're not profiting from it, on the contrary they're losing out but they have no choice because they're required by law to charge you that tax and if you have a problem with that tax then your issue is with government, this country or perhaps more generally the EU and not those retailers.

I get it, you want something cheap and you don't care how but let's not waste time talking about morals, it's not something you should brag about and makes you a hypocrite if you bang on about how bad it is companies avoiding tax and then go ahead and do it yourself.

Oh dear there's always one isn't there, now your blowing things out of proportion, live happily on your moral pedestal, you know exactly what I'm saying and I won't get drawn into arguing over picking comments out to score brownie points I'm too old for that,not asking you to agree, if you feel better paying more from a UK retailer I really don't give a dam it's your choice as is mine - simple
One comment about big companies isn't banging on is it? I'm not or anyone else bragging either so get the facts right

Last edited:
Oh dear there's always one isn't there, now your blowing things out of proportion, live happily on your moral pedestal, you know exactly what I'm saying and I won't get drawn into arguing over picking comments out to score brownie points I'm too old for that,not asking you to agree, if you feel better paying more from a UK retailer I really don't give a dam it's your choice as is mine - simple

If pointing out what you're doing is "making me one" then so be it, why do you keep bringing up morals if you're so happy about what you're doing? Do us all a favour and at least be honest with yourself.

You're missing the point, I (and probably everyone else here) doesn't care what you do as grey imports are rife but if you're going to do it it would be nice if you could at least understand/admit what you're actually doing. Don't feign ignorance simply because you can't tell if they've paid tax (it's obvious if you bother to check) and you make it sound like you're just avoiding Dixon's rip off pricing and getting one over them when all you're doing is evading tax.

One comment about big companies isn't banging on is it? I'm not or anyone else bragging either so get the facts right

No, it was a turn oh phrase but the point was you were being a hypocrite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back