Had an unusual feeling

Well took the FM out for a test (all vertical shots) and in one shot the best framing was with the wind on lever in my nostril :rolleyes: I wonder if the Japanese designer ever got the sack.
As you said you are using your left eye so you hold the camera left hand at the top. When I try this the lever is below and to the left of my nose. The other way round it doesn't touch my forehead probably because I wear glasses.

I suppose the degree of annoyance depends on the size and shape of your nose ;) If you wear glasses like me unless you have the screw on protection for the viewfinder there is a chance they could get scratch......crazy design as nearly every camera has a rectangular bit of plastic and so easy to slide an eyecup on, to help remove sunlight when using glasses.

Last edited:
Looks like it would easily fall off, a cup that screws on would be better......I'll keep my eye open at the bootie for the original one. I did look in my boxes for a rubber grommet\washer to fit over but the viewfinder doesn't protrude much and nothing seems to stay on....and using super glue would be ridiculous :eek:

I'm pretty sure that you'll find that the one in the link does screw on Brian;)

Edit.

Ignore that Bri, I've just got the DK 3 up on amazon where there are additional pics and no it doesn't screw on...........sorry!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that you'll find that the one in the link does screw on Brian;)

H'mm the viewfinder has an internal female thread and would need a male thread to fit and I can't see it in the back view of the cup..but Asha I know you are rich but don't you think $14 is a bit too expensive :eek:

H'mm the viewfinder has an internal female thread and would need a male thread to fit and I can't see it in the back view of the cup..but Asha I know you are rich but don't you think $14 is a bit too expensive :eek:

Most of the Nikon eyepieces seem to go for silly money although 14 dollars including postage for a genuine Nikon part isn't as expensive as I've seen some similar bits go for on fleabay

Most of the Nikon eyepieces seem to go for silly money although 14 dollars including postage for a genuine Nikon part isn't as expensive as I've seen some similar bits go for on fleabay

Well Asha I think my idea of the right size rubber washer is quite good and all I have to do if find an adhesive that would hold it in place but not set rock hard (like superglue) on the round metalwork of the viewfinder. Maybe tyre repair rubber adhesive would work ?

Last edited:
This one doesn't mention being screw fitting, just that it's 19mm and £4.00 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361928732603

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

Can't see how that would stay on either unless a force fit, as the viewfinder part, to attach it on, is only 2.2mm 3/32 " and if it was a force fit you would have to prise it off to open the door. And what's worse (to hold anything on) is the surround for the viewfinder is cut off horizontally (to allow the door to open)....A very bad design and the designer should have been sacked as all he had to do was to see what other manufacturers were doing and copy it. Even the small Olympus OMs have a plastic surround viewfinder and with an eyecup just slide it up to open the door.

Last edited:
The original (I've seen them for about £8) would be something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Fin...263429?hash=item2829b29d85:g:LxAAAOSwo4pYhk-1 dunno whether you would have to unscrew to open the door, I'll keep my eyes open at the bootie.
You didn't say whether you have one? Anyway when I use my FM I try not to press my glasses on the metal viewfinder, but if they are scratched they are only bootie ones for 50p (I keep my prescription glasses at home) o_O:D

Mine has a similar ring, the rubber is starting to wear though. I got mine off my FE which is very temperamental. The one on the FM had no rubber left when I got it. I can live without an eyecup.

So, if the FM = Fully Manual, FE = Fully Electronic and FA = Fully Automatic what is the FG?

True, and one of the reasons I mentioned it. Mine has always been reliable, I did wonder where they were going with the naming system though. Apparently the first consumer Nikon with TTL off the film plane flash automation and the first Nikon SLR with programmed AE. I only discovered this when I was trying to answer my own question though.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

I take it that the FM was Nikon's version of the Canon AE1 then, as it seems they were launched the same year? If so, did Nikon have a version of the Canon A1 at all?

I take it that the FM was Nikon's version of the Canon AE1 then, as it seems they were launched the same year? If so, did Nikon have a version of the Canon A1 at all?

Was that a typo and you meant FG? The only camera that would be similar to the FM would be the Canon FTB although not checking on dates, think it's older.

Was that a typo and you meant FG? The only camera that would be similar to the FM would be the Canon FTB although not checking on dates, think it's older.

Sorry, I was getting confused, I think the FE was the one I was thinking of. Not too familiar with Nikon models. :eggface:

I think the FM was launched in 1977 to compete with the OM-1 and Pentax MX though the MX came out the same year. The AE-1 was introduced in 1976 and isn't a manual only camera. The FE (1978) is the one that would be the direct competition for that.

The FG (1982) would be the AE-1P's (1981) opposite number. I'm not sure there's a direct alternative for the A1, maybe the FA?

Back