Had an unusual feeling

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I put a film in the Nikon FM and it's sitting on the desk next to me and looking at it and I want to use it..put a film in say Canon T90 or Minolta X-700 etc and I don't get this feeling. I also get the same feeling with the ETRs..can't see any logical reason for this as even my Canon T70 is superiorto a FM for general use...all odd as I don't love any of my cameras, they are just tools :rolleyes:

Last edited:
".........I don't love any of my cameras........" :eek:

I would suggest sitting i a dark room and sniffiing a mix of dev and fixer whle drinking tea or coffee while dunking ginger nuts (the biscuit) then all things will be back to normal and you'lkl love your kit once more :):ROFLMAO:

That is an unusual feeling... if I had a Nikon FM sitting on my desk looking at me, I'd want to put it in the classifieds section! :whistle: Mind you, a T70 wouldn't be far behind it either! ;) As for loving cameras, as the lyrics of the song go 'Love the one you're with'. :)

".........I don't love any of my cameras........" :eek:

I would suggest sitting i a dark room and sniffiing a mix of dev and fixer whle drinking tea or coffee while dunking ginger nuts (the biscuit) then all things will be back to normal and you'lkl love your kit once more :):ROFLMAO:

..or I need hypnotising as my first decent camera I bought in 1960 (Pentax S3), I offered to my son about 7 years ago to get him into film (he didn't want it), so I said I'll give it to a charity shop and he persuaded me to keep it....memories etc

That is an unusual feeling... if I had a Nikon FM sitting on my desk looking at me, I'd want to put it in the classifieds section! :whistle: Mind you, a T70 wouldn't be far behind it either! ;) As for loving cameras, as the lyrics of the song go 'Love the one you're with'. :)

Maybe I'm the only sane person on F&C in not having a "love" for a bit of metal, plastic or electrical circuit :D

I only have cameras I love... oh, and two broken ones :p

Well I would go as far as my "favourites" for handling and ease of results out of many cameras I eventually use over about a year and a half.......but if anyone had all their cameras lined up would there be one or two cameras that would give you the feeling "use me" o_O

I have had a few cameras I have loved over the years, some I have discarded as being too easy, some for being too difficult. I have lusted after some other cameras that have unfortunately stayed frustratingly out of reach. But the camera I have with me now is the one I love the most.

I have had a few cameras I have loved over the years, some I have discarded as being too easy, some for being too difficult. I have lusted after some other cameras that have unfortunately stayed frustratingly out of reach. But the camera I have with me now is the one I love the most.

Well I can sorta love some lenses....if "love" means you wouldn't want to part from them.

If you don't love your Nikon FM give it to me, I will.

It's special as I've only got 4 Nikon lenses and 3 of them or pre AI and they are VG 24mm, 50mm and 105mm..mind you I've got a Tamron 70-210 on it ATM taking shots of the tree surgeons, like monkeys, hacking down my neighbours massive conifers...any decent shots (camera shake and all that @ 210) will post.

I have a Tamron SP 70-210mm that I got for £5 off a flea market, I need to get that out. Tamron lenses are very handy with all the different systems I have. I also have the 24/2.5, 135/2.8, 85-210 and 300/5.6. Often the adapters have cost more than the lenses

I have a Tamron SP 70-210mm that I got for £5 off a flea market, I need to get that out. Tamron lenses are very handy with all the different systems I have. I also have the 24/2.5, 135/2.8, 85-210 and 300/5.6. Often the adapters have cost more than the lenses

Lucky you, my Tamron would be 2nd best in the range but still VG. If anyone is only going to post on the web, you won't see much difference compared to primes..well maybe more distortion at wider angles.

Well I put a film in the Nikon FM and it's sitting on the desk next to me and looking at it and I want to use it..put a film in say Canon T90 or Minolta X-700 etc and I don't get this feeling. I also get the same feeling with the ETRs..can't see any logical reason for this as even my Canon T70 is superiorto a FM for general use...all odd as I don't love any of my cameras, they are just tools :rolleyes:

Is it not a tactile thing, a heavy metal mechanical....thing of substance and no small amount of beauty.
I used to have a big copal shutter, just shutter no lens, I loved the feel of the thing, it was no tool because I never used it for anything other than to hold it, set it, trip the shutter, it was like some Victorian medical instrument, all chrome and brass with cogs and springs, clicks and whirrrs, I dunno why that is so attractive........mebbe its a bloke thing.
My Mamiya 6 is a tool, substantial as it is it just doesn't push the same buttons.
I have had some cameras the do though, Nikon FM2, Nikon F3, Canon A1......yeah a Canon, it developed a squeak though and if I'm honest, it didn't take much getting rid of, the Nikons however did.
Why thell didn't Nikon make any M/F cameras.....its an imponderable, the only reason I still don't have them is because they were 35mm, you wanna use them but if they don't produce what you want, you might as well get a big copal shutter.....:ROFLMAO:

Well I put a film in the Nikon FM and it's sitting on the desk next to me and looking at it and I want to use it..put a film in say Canon T90 or Minolta X-700 etc and I don't get this feeling

I doubt any of us would have an unsatiable urge tu use a T90 Bri :D

|t simply means that you have, after all these years, come to realise that in orde to have feeling and emotion in your photography, you have to shoot Nikon:exit::D:D

Cameras may be tools, but not all tools are pleasant or easy to use. There's no reason why I couldn't get more or less the same images from (sorry this is a digital example) a Dynax 7D, Olympus E3 or some Canon I once looked through. Except that the Dynax 7D couldn't be manually focused (everything always looked in focus, but the results weren't when using autofocus and there was no obvious alternative), the E3 won't let you see what's at the edges of the frame unless the camera is tripod mounted, and the unnamed Canon had such a small image viewfinder that it might just have been better to have a couple of wire frame sights to see what was being recorded.

In film cameras, there's no difference in capabilities between my Walker Titan SF and my Canham DLC, but ease of set up/fold down makes the Walker a joy to use and the Canham awkward. My Exakta and OM cameras fit wonderfully in my hands are are instinctive to use; my Dynax 9 is more of a beast.

Appearance and ease of use might not affect the results, but they can make for a more pleasant experience in using them.

Is it not a tactile thing, a heavy metal mechanical....thing of substance and no small amount of beauty.
I used to have a big copal shutter, just shutter no lens, I loved the feel of the thing, it was no tool because I never used it for anything other than to hold it, set it, trip the shutter, it was like some Victorian medical instrument, all chrome and brass with cogs and springs, clicks and whirrrs, I dunno why that is so attractive........mebbe its a bloke thing.
My Mamiya 6 is a tool, substantial as it is it just doesn't push the same buttons.
I have had some cameras the do though, Nikon FM2, Nikon F3, Canon A1......yeah a Canon, it developed a squeak though and if I'm honest, it didn't take much getting rid of, the Nikons however did.
Why thell didn't Nikon make any M/F cameras.....its an imponderable, the only reason I still don't have them is because they were 35mm, you wanna use them but if they don't produce what you want, you might as well get a big copal shutter.....:ROFLMAO:

Maybe the reason I wanted to use the FM this particular time is because it's "pretty" but then the ETRs is not pretty with all attachments and when that's loaded up on the desk next to me, it's asking me to use it h'mm working on my human nature for that one probably something about the feeling for a larger neg :D

I've had much the same feeling about an FG that I recently acquired. Very nice bit of kit - smaller than the Contax 139- and came with an E series 50 1.8.
I've tried the 50 on my Nikon D200 and have been pleasantly surprised with it.
I'm off to Warsaw on Thursday and will be having a day at Auschwitz while we are in Poland. I suspect that B&W will be the order of the day.

And this needs linked :) :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSD4vsh1zDA

Well Ken I haven't used your Nex 3 yet, erm but it's not the Nex's fault looking dainty everytime I see it, to get a film camera out ;).... I took the front element out of my 19mm lens and there is no way I can see of going any further, nothing to unscrew and looks like the elements were pressed in with retaining rings (with no slots) in manufacturer and have no idea what gadget you would use other than some sort of rubber device (like the rubber device used to remove the retaining ring that holds the front element in)....but waiting for a warm nice clear sunny day, and would make it less boring, to test all my Canon FD lenses at different distances, and hope the FD adapter I bought works.

Used the FM today with 24mm and 105mm lenses, but for some reason it jammed using the 50mm non AI lens WTF.....I had wound on and it wouldn't fire, anyway took the lens off and operated a vertical lever near the mirror and it fired, remounted the lens and it worked and took another shot h'mm I'm wondering what might have caused this, like initially trying to mount the lens incorrectly (Nikon are opposite to most common cameras to lock)..anyone had a similar problem as I'm half way through a film and can't be bothered to wind the film back to play with it.

Used the FM today with 24mm and 105mm lenses, but for some reason it jammed using the 50mm non AI lens WTF.....I had wound on and it wouldn't fire, anyway took the lens off and operated a vertical lever near the mirror and it fired, remounted the lens and it worked and took another shot h'mm I'm wondering what might have caused this, like initially trying to mount the lens incorrectly (Nikon are opposite to most common cameras to lock)..anyone had a similar problem as I'm half way through a film and can't be bothered to wind the film back to play with it.

I no longer have my FE but that would take non ai lenses however there was a tiny lever at the side of the lens mount that had to be lifted irc

if then returning to use ai lenses the lever had to be returned to its original position

surprisingly the FE2 doesn't offer the option to use non ai

Thanks but the little lever was up to take the Non AI lenses...once I finish the film up (and assume it won't jam anymore) I'll play with the FM to see if I can replicate what happened and would be handy to know to help anyone else that might has a similar problem.

perhaps it's a simple fact that the mechanism in the body is faulty

perhaps it's a simple fact that the mechanism in the body is faulty

Well yes Asha (slight wear over time) but it's the first time it's happened and the only illogical explanation I have so far is:- don't wind on the FM before mounting a non AI lens o_O :rolleyes:

Well yes Asha (slight wear over time) but it's the first time it's happened and the only illogical explanation I have so far is:- don't wind on the FM before mounting a non AI lens o_O :rolleyes:

I never had an issue with any lens on my old FE nor do I on my F wether the bodies are wound on or not prior to changing lenses, be they non AI, AI, AIS or more modern

Have you got another Nikon body to try the non AI lens on?

Maybe there is something adrift with the lens as opposed to the camera body.....it's all a bit strange to me.

Another option is to take the non AI lens with you to the next f&c meet and try it on someone elses Nikon body ( F, FE, FM) to see if it funtions correctly and / or try someone elses non ai lens on your FM......or perhaps you have a local shop that can help you out

Only have a EM and F90x, did have a 301 if you remember when the lens release button failed to work and had to saw and chop the body to release the lens...well I learnt something that this Nikon was tough and well made :D
I was using 2 other non AI lenses and Nikon didn't make the FM idiot proof with no red dots for mounting the lens and with reverse mounting and not using the camera regularly, who knows I might have upset it fiddling to mount the lens. Anyway just wasted a frame by winding on the film then mounting the lens and no problem, so I'll never know the answer unless it happens again and it could be at a time taking the best shot ever of you when the camera jams o_O
Thanks Asha for your interest (y)

just send your non ai glass out to me for a very long term / permanent testing period om my bodies:D

just send your non ai glass out to me for a very long term / permanent testing period om my bodies:D

I let you use my T70 for a shot at the Whipsnade meet (well someone used it as I'm in the shot), that should be enough excitement for a few years.:D

I let you use my T70 for a shot at the Whipsnade meet (well someone used it as I'm in the shot), that should be enough excitement for a few years.:D

Yes I remember that......I had to have therapy when I returned home to enable me to " move on " from such a traumatic experience:D:D

At Whipsnade...did you ever use the Xp2 I gave you (well I gave a few rolls to someone)..was it any good?

At Whipsnade...did you ever use the Xp2 I gave you (well I gave a few rolls to someone)..was it any good?

OK so I missed out here somehow cos no xp2 came my way:(:sulk:

So someone else gets some decent film as a gift,whilst I get given a compact:crying:......yes, a p&s compact:dummy:. A ikon RF2 to be exact with some C41 process b&w film installed:confused: .....not xp2 I might add:p

So I'm grateful and will always hang on to it like I do other camera gifts ;) although I have to confess that the film installed at Whipsnade has still yet to be finished.......I just have to find a suitable location to use it where no one knows me .......the locals look up to me as a pro tog you see :whistle: so I can't be seen with "inferior" kit now can I ?:p:D

Just for the record, I still have some exposed colour rolls sat in the fridge that were shot on the Bronny at Whipsnade, yet to be devd:wideyed:

...and the locals probably think "mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun" :D
Anyway quiz time:- solved why the FM wouldn't fire....and it's a Nikon design fault in that to hold it comfortabilly in a vertical position (esp using your left eye) you either have to have your nose cut-off or have a small Japanese nose.
So anyone know what the problem was?

Last edited:
Sounds like a similar design "feature" on my FE2 where if you shoot vertical with your right hand uppermost, you'll poke yourself in the forehead with the wind-on arm because it's got to be sticking out for the camera to function.

Or is that just me? :confused:

Sounds like a similar design "feature" on my FE2 where if you shoot vertical with your right hand uppermost, you'll poke yourself in the forehead with the wind-on arm because it's got to be sticking out for the camera to function.

Or is that just me? :confused:

Brownie points to you..got it in one. I pushed the wind on lever in cos my nose was getting in the way and of cos with the lever in, it locks the shutter. :rolleyes:

Back