Had an unusual feeling

Brownie points to you..got it in one. I pushed the wind on lever in cos my nose was getting in the way and of cos with the lever in, it locks the shutter. :rolleyes:
:ROFLMAO:

Took me ages to get used to it when I first got my FE2. "Bloody thing, meter's not working, I need to send it back ... oh, wait ..." every. Damn. Shot. :facepalm:

Don't say it so loudly you'll upset the Nikon fans :D
It's ok ... I drank the fruit punch and became one of them. :eek:

• Nikon D70
  • Nikon F100
  • Nikon FE2

And I'm sure that if the rangefinders didn't have such a steampunk vibe to them, I'd have one of them instead of my rather lovely Canon P. :runaway:

After the 301 and F401 disasters, the FM you gave me (and ignoring the annoying bit ;)) is a lovely camera and with the addition of the F90x turned me into a sorta Nikon fan, and wouldn't mind playing with a F4 if I saw one at the bootie for about £25-£30. It would be interesting comparing it with the Canon T90

Sounds like a similar design "feature" on my FE2 where if you shoot vertical with your right hand uppermost, you'll poke yourself in the forehead with the wind-on arm because it's got to be sticking out for the camera to function.

Or is that just me? :confused:

It's just you!:exit::D:D

Hey! I don't have a protruding forehead! Stomach, yes, but not my forehead. :(

I have a film wind on lever shaped hollow in my forehead........they were available as a very limited accessory from Nikon but only offered to FE/FM owners who were "soft in the head" for ease of installation :D:D

I have a film wind on lever shaped hollow in my forehead........they were available as a very limited accessory from Nikon but only offered to FE/FM owners who were "soft in the head" for ease of installation :D:D

..and do you have a false nose that you can take off before using the fm\Fe vertically :D

..and do you have a false nose that you can take off before using the fm\Fe vertically :D

I wish.......I'm my mothers clone except for my somewhat large nose ( all the better for smelling with :D) which I have my father to thank for, so turning the FE vertically with the lever southward facing means I can, should I wish, accommodate it in my mouth:LOL:

I wonder if I practice enough, if I can operate the film advance with my tongue so as to allow the camera body to stay in place and be sure not to miss a composure:ROFLMAO:

When I heard a Nikon owner say they'd rather have a hole in their head than own another brand of camera, I didn't realise it was because they actually needed one! :LOL:

:canon::D

Last edited:
Asda at Slough still working but erm it looks like a new problem with the FM...17 shots on negs out of 24, 1st 5 ok, then next 8 double exposed, and the last 4 ok...put a spare film in and the winder didn't slip and counted correctly. All the slots are ok in the film and no damage.
Well I'm down to the EM or F90x that I can trust and a more modern Nikon that can take non AI lenses would be something like the F4...lets see what turns up at the bootie.

I have a feeling that your search for an F4 at the bootie will follow a similar route to your quest to find an F100 for a tenner, Brian. ;)

Best of luck nonetheless and I hope you make me eat my words!

I have a feeling that your search for an F4 at the bootie will follow a similar route to your quest to find an F100 for a tenner, Brian. ;)

Best of luck nonetheless and I hope you make me eat my words!

Well it is a long shot finding an old lady selling her deceased husband's camera gear o_O Never seen Leicas or Rolleis but what you can get are cameras that have a cult following...anyone want to swop a Yashica T5 for a F4, they are a similar price to buy on the bay.:eek:

Last edited:
Just remembered Dean, when you gave me the FM did you say it might need a new door? So was thinking if the pressure plate wasn't guiding the film properly and the film in the cassette got a bit "sloppy" maybe it came off the sprocket teeth for 8 frames then re-engaged somehow for the shots after. h'mm but even without sprocket teeth engaged the film would be tight on the spool and should wind on somehow (I think without checking).
Interesting question:- if all the teeth on the wind on sprocket, on a camera, have sheared off..could you still use the camera...without checking your cameras anyone like to guess an answer.

Last edited:
Anyone got a FM as the pressure plate doesn't look right to me.....and measure the distance from the pressure plate to the back of the door
TA
IMG_9726[1].jpg
IMG_9728[1].jpg

Pressure plate looks fine to me. And It would be hard to imagine that you're moving the multi-exposure button accidentally. So maybe something's slipping in the wind mechanism. If so, it's probably sortable for about £50.

Pressure plate looks fine to me. And It would be hard to imagine that you're moving the multi-exposure button accidentally. So maybe something's slipping in the wind mechanism. If so, it's probably sortable for about £50.

Well it's not parallel to the back...whether that makes any difference I dunno.

Well it's not parallel to the back...whether that makes any difference I dunno.

They often aren't when the door is open but they get squashed down when the door is closed and afaik offer an equal amount of pressure across the film inside the body

They often aren't when the door is open but they get squashed down when the door is closed and afaik offer an equal amount of pressure across the film inside the body

Yeah true Asha..I'm just scraping the barrel for answers why the fM had a tempory hiccough (8 frames) and maybe it could trigger someone else's experience, the only thing left is I used a Tamron lens first and those shots came out ok, but things started to go wrong when I used the Nikon lenses, but then it corrected itself and the last 4 shots were ok...maybe boring folks but you have admit you'd have to be clever to solve this one ;)

Just remembered Dean, when you gave me the FM did you say it might need a new door? So was thinking if the pressure plate wasn't guiding the film properly and the film in the cassette got a bit "sloppy" maybe it came off the sprocket teeth for 8 frames then re-engaged somehow for the shots after. h'mm but even without sprocket teeth engaged the film would be tight on the spool and should wind on somehow (I think without checking).
Interesting question:- if all the teeth on the wind on sprocket, on a camera, have sheared off..could you still use the camera...without checking your cameras anyone like to guess an answer.
I think I mentioned it would need seals but I honestly can't remember saying anything about the door, Brian. If the film came off the sprocket teeth, wouldn't there be some witness marks near the sprocket holes for the rest of the film? Eight frames is too much for it to loop over on itself without leaving a crease or something.

Aha! I've remembered!

The problem with the door was that a previous owner appeared to have tried prying it open instead of using the catch which releases the rewind spool so you can lift it to open the door. I made a point of mentioning it because I'd had some light leaks but not on the first few rolls I put through that camera, which meant it might have been the seals on the way out instead.

I doubt that helps explain the issue but I'm happy to have knocked some synapses into place if nothing else.

I think I mentioned it would need seals but I honestly can't remember saying anything about the door, Brian. If the film came off the sprocket teeth, wouldn't there be some witness marks near the sprocket holes for the rest of the film? Eight frames is too much for it to loop over on itself without leaving a crease or something.

Ah Fixed the seals, and no marks on the negs, but I'm down to being a sherlock Holmes now " when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" esp at looking at the negs:- the first four shots were ok with the Tamron , the next nine shots were double\triple exposed using the Nikon lenses, the next four shots with Nikon lenses were ok just to use the film up to no 24 when the film would wind no more BUT there was a further about seven blank frames at the end :eek:

Well took the FM out for a test (all vertical shots) and in one shot the best framing was with the wind on lever in my nostril :rolleyes: I wonder if the Japanese designer ever got the sack.

the best framing was with the wind on lever in my nostril :rolleyes: I wonder if the Japanese designer ever got the sack.

I would be checking U tuibe out Bri, the Japs have probably been filming you for a candid camera series........they probably hold the designer on a pedestal as a hero:D:D

I would be checking U tuibe out Bri, the Japs have probably been filming you for a candid camera series........they probably hold the designer on a pedestal as a hero:D:D

..and the nikon fan club will say its not the camera's fault as I have an odd shaped head :D
goo.jpg

Last edited:
Bloody hell, its a slightly distorted Ronnie Reagan. :eek::D

I find the FM. holds a rather special place in my memory it was purchased for me by a ex-partner from a camera shop at Brierley Hill west Mids in late 80s
It's about the only fond memory I have of her :eek::D:p

There is a conspiracy of silence with the Nikon fan club (and OM club for other things) o_O.....I'd like to know why anyone else hasn't anyone mentioned the "annoyance" of the wind on lever sticking out about 30 degrees to fire.;)

When CdS meters came out, they were hailed as a grat advance due to their small size and large sensitivity. They would easily fit inside a camera, and, if in a physically large meter (like the LunaSix) could measure in light too dim to read the dial easily! They were so far in advance of what had gone before, and their advantages so obvious, that there were no disadvantages. At least, not until silicon blue cells came along. Then we learned that CdS cells had a couple of problems: overly sensitive to red light, and with a small "memory" that meant a rapid change from very bright to very low light required a short time for the cell to readjust.

People accepted them without thinking about problems because they accepted the plus points, and knew of no better solution. If people have no experience of being able to leave the wind on lever at rest when metering, then they'd probably accept having to have it sticking out as a reasonable price to pay for the convenience of metering. I don't know how widespread it was - I've never used a camera with this feature.

I get into the habit of using a camera, and never notice anything that others might perceive as a problem or annoyance. Specifically, there's nothing I've encountered on OM cameras (single digit models) since you mention them that struck me apart from the badly designed battery drain feature on the OM4 (not Ti).

Last edited:
get into the habit of using a camera, and never notice anything that others might perceive as a problem or annoyance

Pretty much the same here tbh.

Much as the Nikon lever can get in the way/ up your nostril / in your forhead:D, I'd never really considered it a problem, in fact I hadn't really noticed it too much until Brian and Dean decided to bring it to my attention that it can be a pita.......I need to revert back and stop consciously looking for this poorly designed feature on my FE2 like I was doing yesterday whilst shooting a roll of predominantly portrait orientated frames.

Pretty much the same here tbh.

Much as the Nikon lever can get in the way/ up your nostril / in your forhead:D, I'd never really considered it a problem, in fact I hadn't really noticed it too much until Brian and Dean decided to bring it to my attention that it can be a pita.......I need to revert back and stop consciously looking for this poorly designed feature on my FE2 like I was doing yesterday whilst shooting a roll of predominantly portrait orientated frames.

Well Asha just use the Nikons horizontally...well unless you have protruding fat cheeks :D

Asda at Slough still working and using the Fuji first then the same film in the FM and no problem. But got a new theory:- I remembered at about 16 shots (out of 24) using the FM, I did something I don't normally do when winding on when I didn't see the rewind knob move..so thought Oh No I didn't put the film in correctly, so wound back to to see if the film was "tight". Well my theory is:- the film somehow wound back and that is why 8 frames were double exposed. Which could explain why about 7 frames at the end were blank as the counter would show 24. even though it wasn't at the end of the film. Anybody still awake :D

Asda at Slough still working and using the Fuji first then the same film in the FM and no problem. But got a new theory:- I remembered at about 16 shots (out of 24) using the FM, I did something I don't normally do when winding on when I didn't see the rewind knob move..so thought Oh No I didn't put the film in correctly, so wound back to to see if the film was "tight". Well my theory is:- the film somehow wound back and that is why 8 frames were double exposed. Which could explain why about 7 frames at the end were blank as the counter would show 24. even though it wasn't at the end of the film. Anybody still awake :D

So you depressed the take up spool release button on the base of the camera without realising that you were doing it then??

If that's what you did then you definetly were not awake!! :D:D

So you depressed the take up spool release button on the base of the camera without realising that you were doing it then??

If that's what you did then you definetly were not awake!! :D:D

Looks like it's the only possible explanation although the button is quite recessed...I'll have to put it down to a senior moment :D

Back