Haida Gwaii #2

Sorry I didn't add the backstory. This shot was taken departing our overnight anchorage, we had retrieved our traps, I was looking forward to the upcoming feast of fresh never frozen Dungeness crab. It was early morning and the weather was turning for the worst on this September morn in the magnificent Haida Gwaii.

Beautiful!.. Lovely composition and light with added mist to boot
The green from the trees really adds to the image as well, being almost the only colour part. :love:

Beautiful!.. Lovely composition and light with added mist to boot
The green from the trees really adds to the image as well, being almost the only colour part. :love:

Yes Jamie, you see it all, thank you so much for your generous comment. I will be posting a lot more photos from this trip, including a lot of wildlife ones :)

Last edited:
I think I liked it but on a second look to me the green against the rest of the Mono just doesn't sit right, sorry.

I think I liked it but on a second look to me the green against the rest of the Mono just doesn't sit right, sorry.

Don't be sorry you have the right to your opinion. This is SOOC and of the many response I have received, yours is the first negative. Congratulations, I'm sure there will be more, thanks for responding. :)

Last edited:
Don't e sorry you have the right to your opinion. This is SOOC and of the many response I have received, yours is the first negative. Congratulations, I'm sure there will be more, thanks for responding. :)
No pleasure being the first negative, just threw out my opinion as it's still mixed on the shot. Besides, I know very little, just throwing out what I see and look forward to more of your Images. Cheers

Yes Jamie, you see it all, thank you so much for your generous comment. I will be posting a lot more photos from this trip, including a lot of wildlife ones :)

You are welcome and I look forward to seeing more..

Although I'm not sure who Jamie is? :)

No pleasure being the first negative, just threw out my opinion as it's still mixed on the shot. Besides, I know very little, just throwing out what I see and look forward to more of your Images. Cheers

Sure Andrew, I look forward to posting more wildlife and landscapes in the Haida Gwaii. If I get my live on sailboat once my divorce settlement is through, I will spend my summers in this amazing coastline, then winter in Costa Rica, another natural jewel.

Wow, I love this shot. The composition and shutter speed is perfect

You are welcome and I look forward to seeing more..

Although I'm not sure who Jamie is? :)

Me also! I assumed from your avatar that your name is Jamie, also a girls name in my part of the planet. Now since you did not place a comma after Jamie, then your intention is to introduce yourself as Jamie Oliver's best friend, or am I still confused? Thanks again for your comment and I will be most happy to post more landscapes and wildlife pics. I am enjoying this forum very much, it brings me home, but home has changed much after 52 years across the pond.

Last edited:
Wow, I love this shot. The composition and shutter speed is perfect

Wow, thanks George! you make no bones about what you like, thanks for looking and your kind comment. I will be posting more from the Haida Gwaii.

Andrew, from your avatar, I'm guessing you are involved in falconry, am I correct?

Great scene, and a nice composition with a lot of mood to it.

Boring technical point: What kind of camera was it shot on? There is a very obvious split down the centre of the frame with different colour and contrast in each half. Looks like there could even be a slight time difference between each half of the image as well, as patterns on the water don't quite match up.

Great scene, and a nice composition with a lot of mood to it.

Boring technical point: What kind of camera was it shot on? There is a very obvious split down the centre of the frame with different colour and contrast in each half. Looks like there could even be a slight time difference between each half of the image as well, as patterns on the water don't quite match up.

Hi James, this was shot with my Pentax 645D Its as close to SOOC without fibbing as I can get.. I did some typical adjustments but not much more, certainly there is no compositing. I can't fathom how you see what you said as this is as I already mentioned as close to SOOC as it gets in this day and age. If what you see is fact then I missed it and will notify Pentax that their 645D is playing tricks.:sneaky:

Looks like two images stuck together to me, the left and right halves are so different. Unless it's just an odd reflection, was it shot through a window? There are some flare spots and maybe reflections on the right hand side. It looks like a pixel level thing though, as the split is so perfect.

Nobody else see the difference in colour and contrast from left to right?

Looks like two images stuck together to me, the left and right halves are so different. Unless it's just an odd reflection, was it shot through a window? There are some flare spots and maybe reflections on the right hand side. It looks like a pixel level thing though, as the split is so perfect.

Jeez, would you like me to send you the RAW file? get over yourself, I explained as honestly as I know how. Now you come back with a statement that just falls short of calling me a liar. Suck it up dude and move on!! Better yet, if you have Dropbox I will send you the raw file.

Last edited:
Jeez, would you like me to send you the RAW file? get over yourself, I explained as honestly as I know how. Now you come back with a statement that just falls short of calling me a liar. Suck it up dude and move on!! Better yet, if you have Dropbox I will send you the raw file.

Hah, what the f***? That'll be the first and last time I try to help you see if there's an issue with your gear, or software then. :)

Last edited:
Hah, what the f***? That'll be the first and last time I try to help you see if there's an issue with your gear, or software then. :)

I don't understand, you insult my integrity and when I respond as any reasonable person would, YOU take offence. Could this be a misunderstanding between different cultures, or is it just you?

Ok coming back to look again, I assumed the darker slightly greener right was the trees but zooming in on my phone there is an obvious line down the centre?

Ok coming back to look again, I assumed the darker slightly greener right was the trees but zooming in on my phone there is an obvious line down the centre?

Yea, it could maybe be very heavy compression in the JPEG, but seems unlikely that would make such a perfectly straight and 'digital' looking line.

I don't understand, you insult my integrity and when I respond as any reasonable person would, YOU take offence. Could this be a misunderstanding between different cultures, or is it just you?

I haven't once insulted you or your integrity.

The only way that could be would be from an editing artifact. This was not edited in a way other than normal post that most of us do in these times. Any further debate calls into question my integrity and my honesty for which there are no facts to support. I suggest you get your camera phone checked out. If this is the way that this forums members greet newcomers from overseas, I wont be visiting for long.

The only way that could be would be from an editing artifact. This was not edited in a way other than normal post that most of us do in these times. Any further debate calls into question my integrity and my honesty for which there are no facts to support. I suggest you get your camera phone checked out. If this is the way that this forums members greet newcomers from overseas, I wont be visiting for long.

Oh I guess its me, I don't understand, I'm just a simple colonial boy. Have a good life and please leave me alone, I hate dealing with passive aggression.

The only way that could be would be from an editing artifact. This was not edited in a way other than normal post that most of us do in these times.

It could be an artefact from processing, it could be something to do with the conditions under which it what photographed, it could be an issue with the camera, or with the recording medium, it could be something that happened during file export or upload. It could be a lot of things.

Any further debate calls into question my integrity and my honesty

No it doesn't.

I suggest you get your camera phone checked out.

Will have to pass on that one I'm afraid, I have no idea what you're attempting to infer there.

If this is the way that this forums members greet newcomers from overseas, I wont be visiting for long.

Most people do try to welcome and help people out when they think there may be an issue they can offer some insight on. If that's reason for you to leave, then fair enough. (I was born near Liverpool as well, and moved overseas just like you. Though I'm not sure of the relevance of that either).

Oh I guess its me, I don't understand, I'm just a simple colonial boy. Have a good life and please leave me alone, I hate dealing with passive aggression.

Honestly just trying to help. I thought I saw an issue with the image (which I like, and stated as much) that may have indicated a problem with either your gear, or something in your workflow that you had missed. I figured the decent thing to do would be to point it out to you, and ask if you had any more information that may explain it.

@Jayst84 I believe the phome reference was to me as I said I was zooming on my phone.

Richard, nobody is questioning your integrity and honesty, it's purely shedding light on the strange goings on in the image that is all.

Honestly just trying to help. I thought I saw an issue with the image (which I like, and stated as much) that may have indicated a problem with either your gear, or something in your workflow that you had missed. I figured the decent thing to do would be to point it out to you, and ask if you had any more information that may explain it.

I have to get to bed its 01:50 but I will sleep better knowing I apologised to you James for overreacting to what a perceived as a veiled accusation when that was not your intent. It could be a difference in language usage as my English is not the same it was 52 years ago living in the UK. But let me assure you there was no combining of images and as unusual as the lighting is in this image, it is what the camera saw and more importantly what my eyes saw, thats why I took the shot. I will be posting more of these unusual atmospheric images common to the Pacific NW. Stay tuned. :)

@Jayst84 I believe the phome reference was to me as I said I was zooming on my phone.

Richard, nobody is questioning your integrity and honesty, it's purely shedding light on the strange goings on in the image that is all.

The strange goings on is due to the uniquely peculiar atmospheric conditions encountered in this part of Canada, if you have never been here then the "Strange goings on" is due to you not ever being exposed to this weather condition. This is a risk posting photos from another part of this planet. The inside passage is a very popular cruise with British tourists, My sister and her husband made the trip as I'm sure many in this forum have, and so they will connect with this photo without wondering about "strange goings on". I sincerely hope this explains all you wish to understand.

The strange goings on is due to the uniquely peculiar atmospheric conditions encountered in this part of Canada, if you have never been here then the "Strange goings on" is due to you not ever being exposed to this weather condition. This is a risk posting photos from another part of this planet. The inside passage is a very popular cruise with British tourists, My sister and her husband made the trip as I'm sure many in this forum have, and so they will connect with this photo without wondering about "strange goings on". I sincerely hope this explains all you wish to understand.

So why didn't you just explain that to @Jayst84 when he asked about it??
I noticed Kodiak has just 'explained' exactly what you just wrote above in another image of yours so if you 'both' know this is down to conditions it's odd you didn't explain at the start.
So this is a Canada thing only? It causes perfect lines in an image?
I guess I need to do some traveling :)

I have to get to bed its 01:50 but I will sleep better knowing I apologised to you James for overreacting to what a perceived as a veiled accusation when that was not your intent. It could be a difference in language usage as my English is not the same it was 52 years ago living in the UK. But let me assure you there was no combining of images and as unusual as the lighting is in this image, it is what the camera saw and more importantly what my eyes saw, thats why I took the shot. I will be posting more of these unusual atmospheric images common to the Pacific NW. Stay tuned. :)

No worries.

I wasn't meaning literally that I think it's two shots combined (that would be a strange thing to do). But merely that it appears that way, due to the very harsh transition in the middle of the frame from left to right.

I still think it may be down to JPEG compression (86kb is a lot of compression from the original file). Or maybe just me going blind after spending most of today in Photoshop removing chewing gum from pavements. :wideyed:

So why didn't you just explain that to @Jayst84 when he asked about it??
I noticed Kodiak has just 'explained' exactly what you just wrote above in another image of yours so if you 'both' know this is down to conditions it's odd you didn't explain at the start.
So this is a Canada thing only? It causes perfect lines in an image?
I guess I need to do some traveling :)

Let it go.

For what its worth I don't see any line perfect or otherwise, I do see a great image though.

I do see a great image though.

—I understand that… but one has to feel the immense scale of the scenery"

I missed this #2 and saw #3 first so, my token again…

I recognize very well the strange chromatics in this take,
caused by both the cloud cover and the incidence of light.
The rendition and visual interest of such scene will not be
appreciated by all but is a typical of NE Pacific weather.

The produced effect is like having on the same frame what
seems to be a B&W and a colour composite —which it is not!

The greater difficulty (and strangeness!) is the WB through
such heavily diffused and low key light.

Else then what appears to be a small area of haloing, "nothing
to declare, officer!" WB and DRL and micro contrast are properly
expressed and rendered.

I do - I'm not on a phone either. Sorry not wanting to add flames to the fire so please take this as a constructive comment
Where? Im not on a phone either. Where do you see it, genuine question.

Last edited:
Exactly half way across the image. Just come slightly to the right of where the trees hit the water line and drop down through the water.
Oh yeah, I can see it now too. Thats strange, I don't see it in the sky though, do you?

Hmm I doubt atmospheric conditions caused that!

Last edited:
Another one that can see a distinctive straight line running vertical centre, could have something to do with compression uploaded for the web?

Oh yeah, I can see it now too. Thats strange, I don't see it in the sky though, do you?

Hmm I doubt atmospheric conditions caused that!
Only by pixel peeping which I don't normally do but I'm trying to work out how/why this has happened as the OP said it's virtually SOOC which I accept. I can only imagine a glitch in the original file, caused during PP, or in the upload. Hopefully the OP will take this as constructive so he can investigate further to resolve.

Back