Harman Photo

Dunno about ilfocolour, its gonna have to be Ilfochrome to raise my pulse....:p

Reactions: zx9
I’m quite impressed that Harman have had a Twitter account since 2016 and apparently have only managed two Tweets in all that time

There's a launch event for this tomorrow which a friend of mine is going to, although he is sworn to secrecy until the launch date on the 1st December.

I await the reveal with interest.

The following is a summary of the facts extracted from a 22 page thread on Photrio:
  • Harman has had the rights to use the Ilford name on traditional B&W photo film, chemicals and associated darkroom sundries since the original Ilford went into administration in 2006, the terms including length and any annual fees are not public.
  • Ilford Imaging , the "other" Ilford who do mostly inkjet material but were also connected to the recent colour film marketed as 'Ilford Ilfocolor' and made by someone else, has the rights to use the Ilford name on certain other products including colour film.
  • Harman have registered (filing date 8 August 2023) the 'Harman Phoenix' trademark for the general category of "Photographic film, paper and plates all being unexposed; unexposed sensitised photographic films; strips of sensitised photographic film [unexposed]; unexposed colour photographic films; unexposed cinematographic films; unexposed camera film; photographic developers; photographic sensitisers; photosensitive materials [films, unexposed]; chemical preparations and substances, all for use in processing photo-sensitive materials."
  • Harman Photo is a new branding exercise involving a whole new website, and social media accounts on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter/X.
  • Harman Photo has sent phoenix postcards and some as yet undisclosed items to film dealers and influencers including Nico Llasera and Analogue Wonderland who are saying that they are not yet permitted to tell us about what they have been sent....but which they claim is exciting.
  • Harman on their Instagram account have confirmed this is not a collaboration with any other company. They were specifically asked if this was a collaboration with FujiFilm or Film Ferrania.
  • Nico's Photography Show has a Youtube video titled 'A talk with Ilford : Photopia 2023' posted 4 weeks ago. In a section starting at around 12:20 the interviewer asked whether they have new products lined up for either 'entry level' users or 'Fine Art'. Giles Branthwaite, Sales & Marketing Director at Harman responded "Yeah, we're investing, of course we're investing. I can't disclose the projects or products we're investing in, at this stage. They're not at that level we can do that, yet. But yes of course, we have an R&D department, we're investing through the R&D department. We're investing in our manufacturing as well; we're just investing multi millions into new production capabilities. That's the first time we've been able to say that in decades, literally decades. So that's all good news. There is more stuff coming through; I just can't detail it at this stage."
  • A Photrio member (Ian Grant) mentioned on Saturday 4th November, that Ilford/Harman shut-down their coating line for upgrades recently.
  • Another poster who had emailed Harman asking whether the whole thing was genuine received confirmation that it was from Matt Parry, Head of Marketing at Harman who also said "As you have also seen, we have been sending this new product out to testers, content creators etc ahead of launch and they were allowed to share the news something is coming (the postcard you reference) but the other information such as the product itself is under embargo. This is so they have time to test the product and create content but also so we have time to finish making the product, communicate with our distributor and retail network, ship the product around the world so it is in stores on launch day, build a new website etc etc."
  • Another Photrio poster (amudsen) mentioned on Wednesday 1st November that the @harmanphoto Instagram account had reposted a post from @expiredfilmclub (an influencer and shop owner) which was a selfie with the caption "shooting something seriously exciting at @harmanphoto today".
  • amadsen also said yesterday, Sunday 5th November, that Nico had just posted about it on Instagram, including “and no, it’s not a reusable camera”.
  • Another Photrio member, MCB18, posted on Friday 3rd November "I know someone besides Nico who is in the know. He literally can’t say anything, besides that it’s not insignificant. He can’t even give us a date! But, now that I think about it, he has been hinting at getting access to a film he can’t talk about for months now. Possibly not related, but maybe…"

Another Photrio member, analogwisdom, has spotted that the Darkroom in California have the following announcement on their site (my enphasis): "HARMAN Photo, who produces the much loved Ilford B&W film, paper, and chemistry will be announcing a new product December 1st and this event will be the official launch party. Not only will it feature two meetups but you will get to meet and hear from the HARMAN Photo team, as well as win some great prizes during the Friday night B&C giveaway!"

Agulliver on Photrio has said that it is worth noting that Harman also state this is not a relaunch of a product they've previously made.

Probably a new tie pin, or instant/self developing film.

The more the hype builds, the more I feel whatever it is will be a let down :)

Of course, we could wildly extrapolate from the new trademark explicitly citing colour to posit some sort of colour product; the phoenix to indicate something that previously died; and the statement that it was not a product "they had previously made" to deduce a colour product made by Ilford before the split that gave us Harman, and come up with a reintroduced Cibachrome.

Alternatively, a new coloured indicator stop bath...

Given the additional mention of film though, I'll go with Steve and assume a reintroduction of Polaroid instant slide film.

And I more confidently predict that all my above musings will be incorrect.

December 1st launch date? Better hold off on my letter to Santa just in case ........... ;)

Of course, we could wildly extrapolate from the new trademark explicitly citing colour to posit some sort of colour product; the phoenix to indicate something that previously died; and the statement that it was not a product "they had previously made" to deduce a colour product made by Ilford before the split that gave us Harman, and come up with a reintroduced Cibachrome.

Alternatively, a new coloured indicator stop bath...

Given the additional mention of film though, I'll go with Steve and assume a reintroduction of Polaroid instant slide film.

And I more confidently predict that all my above musings will be incorrect.

The "instant" market is quite vibrant at the moment, so for anyone it might be a good market to buy into.

But taking it a stage further, imagine an instant film that could be loaded into a 120 camera!

Not mu idea of fun, but I know quite a few who would go for it.

But taking it a stage further, imagine an instant film that could be loaded into a 120 camera!
I'll take Harman's version of FP-100C. That would be cool.

Reactions: zx9
imagine an instant film that could be loaded into a 120 camera!
...which, it seems, others did.

I read an article in an American magazine, I think in the early 1970s, which claimed that Edwin Land was not the first to consider self developing films. If I recall correctly, various people wanted such a thing in the 1930s, including both the British and American military.

One idea, which the article claimed was explored, was a semi-stable developing agent. This would have been coated under the emulsion. When the frame was exposed, light passing through the emulsion would destabilise the developer and start the development. The process was expected to run to extinction and then stabilise the image, ready to be printed. According to what I read, this was abandoned because they couldn't make it sufficiently repeatable. Land's team got round this by means of the crushable pouch and roller, which only put the developer on the emulsion when the user was ready to develop the image.

It has to be a colour film, right? There will be riots on the streets if it isn't :D
I don't think it'll be much of a riot. Perhaps two people on the High Street at Little Pethnik on the Wash?

Still, if it's a quiet news day, these guys will be there to record it for morning TV...

Reporter with cameraman Exeter E-PL5 P6050018.JPG

It has to be a colour film, right?
Looks like it'll be 35mm for sure.

I wonder if the red is a clue...
- Another Ortho film? (doubt it)
- Colour? (probably most likely)
- Infra-red? (Here's hoping, but also doubtful)

That's the power of icons. One picture can indeed replace a thousand words. When I saw that poster, my first thought (and this is me being completely serious) was that it was a tap. Not having used 35mm film since 2018 I don't think of 35mm cassettes. So, clearly to me at that point something to do with washing. The red colour - the normal colour to use for hot as opposed to cold water - suggests some form of hot washing; coupled with the upgrades to the coating line to make films more suitable to hot washes suggests a very rapid new processing system.

So there we have it - a new developing process that works at 100 F for rapid lab turnaround.

QED

Edit to add

I recall someone from Ilford (sic) writing (it may have been Jack Coote in his book) that Ilfocolour caused them a lot of problems in its development (as in creation, not processing) which makes me wonder about them biting that bullet again. We shall see.

Last edited:
Its been leaked if you want to go see what it is, someone ruined it for everybody but I shant do that here

Its been leaked if you want to go see what it is, someone ruined it for everybody but I shant do that here
I'd be happy to take a PM with the info :) My search-fu is very weak.

Ill be picking some up next week in Process Supplies

I've had a roll in my fridge for about a fortnight now but not had chance to shoot it yet. If this weather holds into the weekend, I might get to use it.

Firstcall jumped the gun with Kentmere 120 last year...

Last edited:
Now up on Analogue Wonderland at £13 per roll

or £60 for 5

Last edited:
The description makes it seem interesting though?

Features and Benefits:​

1. Distinct 'Analogue' Look and Feel:
Immerse yourself in the unique charm of true analogue photography with the HARMAN Phoenix 200. The film captures moments with a distinct aesthetic, delivering an authentic look and feel that sets it apart from conventional colour films.

2. High Contrast and Vibrant Colours:
Elevate your images with high-contrast visuals and punchy, vibrant colours. The experimental nature of Phoenix 200 results in striking images, making it a perfect choice for those seeking a film that goes beyond the ordinary and embraces the unexpected.

Last edited:
Loads of Youtube videos popping up now the embargo has ended.

I think I might give it a miss until they've refined it a bit more (or at least until I've seen more real-world results to get a better look at it), the three videos I've seen all seem to be showing pretty contrasty, grainy photos. Almost like expired film. I'm not sure it's a look that's for me.

£12.50 a roll but it is 36 Exp not a 24. I do like the idea that it's entirely made from scratch just up the road. Might get the one roll for Xmas!
Oops. Accidentally ordered the 3 pack. Hope it's got a very long expiry :banana: Might pop it straight into the freezer...

Last edited:
Back