Has anybody gone back to their DSLR?

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
I run two systems at the moment both with their strengths. I am wondering if anybody has gone back to their DSLR having switched to one of the mirrorless systems; if so, why? I would prefer not to debate the "DSLR is dead theme" as that has already had a thread. Thanks.

I run two systems at the moment both with their strengths. I am wondering if anybody has gone back to their DSLR having switched to one of the mirrorless systems; if so, why? I would prefer not to debate the "DSLR is dead theme" as that has already had a thread. Thanks.

I kept my Canon 70D and tried running it side by side with my Fuji, but in the end I had to pick just one and that was Fuji. I don`t think I`d ever go back now though as I love the mirrorless.

Me, I bought a Sony A7 original in January as I fancied using some of my old manual lenses on a digital body. It's now at the bottom of some cliffs in Eyemouth (don't ask) so now I'm back to my K3. I enjoyed using it but I'm undecided on getting a replacement, for me the worst feature of mirrorless is the viewfinder, both in the quality ( the K3 is excellent) and the fact you have to keep switching on and off to look at possible shots.

Ive been debating with myself whether to get a D750 to use with my AFD nikkors etc. as a suplement to my Fujis but have desided there are no gains or benefits in doing so.
I like the EVF and how I can see DOF and exposure, compose my image in low light or with bigstopper added and just tilt the screen and put the camera on the ground if needed + a plethora of focus points and a very fast and accurate AF just to mention a few things

Last edited by a moderator:
No.

I sold it all when I became happy with mirrorless and now wouldn't go back because although mirrorless is often seen as a smaller and lighter alternative and that can be true I've since come to value the other things mirrorless brings that are nothing to do with size and weight.

One advantage that DSLR's could offer for me is cost as some of the kit is just so cheap and of course for people with an existing bag full of DSLR lenses DSLR's make a lot of sense and some will always prefer the handling and OVF experience just as some prefer RF's but other than those things none of which bother me I can't see any reason to go back. For me going back to a DSLR would be almost as bad as going back to film :D But not quite :D

I kept my DSLR for over a year (15months) between getting my first Sony to selling all my Canon DSLR at a loss of thousands so no....it is a bit late now!

I've tried Fuji and Panasonic and while they were good cameras (with some quirks) the files were not to my taste. I'm sticking with DSLRs unless I'm forced to change but also because mirrorless cameras don't currently offer me any advantages. YMMV

A bit off topic but you do know that "the files" are nothing to do with the form factor (as in mirrorless or DSLR or RF for that matter.)

My back has said categorically it will go on strike if I even consider a new full frame system of any type so I guess I'm mirrorless from now on. :naughty:

I've tried Fuji and Panasonic and while they were good cameras (with some quirks) the files were not to my taste. I'm sticking with DSLRs unless I'm forced to change but also because mirrorless cameras don't currently offer me any advantages. YMMV

Same for me. Tried Fuji and Nikon mirrorless and couldn't see any advantage at all for the stuff I shoot.

GC

Went back to a DSLR but then back to m4/3 surprisingly on my return to DSLR it wasn't any lighter and I wasn't any fitter

No would not dream of it! However, I will always keep my EOS D30 as that is a relic (almost 20 years old! ) and still churns out some nice shots! That will go with me to the grave!

Do you mean APSC?
I am not now and never have been a member of the Alabama Public Service Commission. :coat:

I do have an APS Sony but the rest of my outfit is M43.

Last edited:
yep, went Nikon -> m43 -> Nikon. For what i mainly shoot, Olympus' AF wasn't consistent enough so i went back to a d500

I miss the size / lack of weight though, especially as I have 2 DSLR bodies

A bit off topic but you do know that "the files" are nothing to do with the form factor (as in mirrorless or DSLR or RF for that matter.)
Thank you for pointing that out.

:ROFLMAO:

I bought a Lumix but did not intend to completely stop using the DSLR for main photo shoots. However, I found the quality of images from the Lumix were so inferior, I had more or less stopped using it. However, my back problem is not improving with age so it is inevitable that I will have to buy a lighter system soon. Many of the mirrorless systems are not much lighter than DSLR's so whatever I eventually chose will be a compromise. However the IQ has improved since I bought my Lumix so I am hopeful that I can find a suitable compromise. I am sure I will still use my DSLR whenever I can though. I recall a very successful photographer who had a serious hip problem saying that "the only things worth photographing were within 300m of the boot of his car".

Dave

Thank you for pointing that out.

:ROFLMAO:

You can't assume anything on line Ed... and I still don't. Fact is that file quality is nothing to do with the shape of the camera or if it has an OVF or an EVF but when reading your initial post I thought it was perhaps open to the interpretation that it was somehow so I thought it was worth saying just in case anyone thought it was...

I bought a Lumix but did not intend to completely stop using the DSLR for main photo shoots. However, I found the quality of images from the Lumix were so inferior, I had more or less stopped using it. However, my back problem is not improving with age so it is inevitable that I will have to buy a lighter system soon. Many of the mirrorless systems are not much lighter than DSLR's so whatever I eventually chose will be a compromise. However the IQ has improved since I bought my Lumix so I am hopeful that I can find a suitable compromise. I am sure I will still use my DSLR whenever I can though. I recall a very successful photographer who had a serious hip problem saying that "the only things worth photographing were within 300m of the boot of his car".

Dave

When I got the MFT Panasonic GF1 and then G1 I thought that in some ways they bettered the FF Canon 5D I had and that shocked me. Things have moved on now and MFT has improved dramatically plus there are now APS-C and FF mirrorless and (as above) the shape of the camera and mirrorless v DSLR is now not an issue when comparing the best for file quality or indeed mirrorless may now arguably be better as Sony have (again arguably) the best sensors.

sold all my canon gear including a couple of Eos-m series (due to lack of light lenses) and went Panasonic MFT then basically by getting a few bargains went back to Nikon . I still have my MFT gear though .. .

my interests lie in wildlife so a long reach is paramount I have the PL 100-400 and even with a 2x crop factor its still not as far reaching as a sigma 150-600 with a 1.5x crop factor ..

I am though keeping a very careful eye on a Sony A9 and 200-600 a friend is using one and the results look very good

My D810 hasn't gone anywhere since getting a Fuji X-E3 and is unlikely to. The fuji is remarkably good for it's size but it's not going to beat the 810. Where I want the best quality, the 810 will be used. Where I want light weight, the fuji wins. I like options. That said, the viewfinder on the 810 with Dk-17m magnifier utterly obliterates the fuji which is just too small really.

I've kept my DSLRs and while they are dormant most of the year the newest does tend to come out for the local airshow (this week).
If I had native long telephotos for my Sony mirrorless bodies it's possible they might outperform my DSLR for this, but they're all far to expensive to consider.

In an ideal world, I would have kept both systems, early days for me but am not missing the D750 as much as I thought, although I did take a lingering look at a tog yesterday with a 70-200 2.8 like you would when you see an ex girlfriend!

I went to Fuji, looking for weight saving primarily and thinking the smaller size would be beneficial. I just couldn’t get on with it, I found the handling difficult, too fiddly and AF wasn’t quick enough for some of my shooting. I just didn’t enjoy using it so moved to Nikon and you’ll need to pry my D850 from my cold dead hands. :)

No I could not go back to my DSLR, my mirrorless are far better for my needs.

Last edited:
I use both (and film).My mirrorless camera (Lumix G7) is not so good in poor light and a lot of my photography is in old churches so poor light performance is important. I do appreciate that my G7 is not the best mirrorless camera in the world but I cannot afford to keep buying cameras until I find one that is as good as my EOS 80D.

Sort of...

Both my Dad and I shot Canon 5D mk1 since 2010, except I traded my Canon gear in for a Fuji set up about this time last year. A few months back I was visiting my folks and had forgotten the battery for my X-T2, so borrowed my Dad's 5D and 85 f1.8 to take a few shots of my kids. My first impression, was wow, this thing is massive and bloody heavy! I had also lost the muscle memory to use it intuitively, and the AF was pants etc, I hated using it. But the pictures it produced were lovely.

Would I go back permanently? No! I prefer using the Fuji, and therefore use it more and am happy to accept the downgrade in image quality (in certain situations).

I recently bought a Canon M50 purely to use as a macro set up.
As I was beginning to find the 7DII a bit heavy for close up work.
Getting old is a bit of a bugger eh? :(

But I would never get rid of the 7DII as my main camera.

Nope. Until dslr arrive with IBIS to match ML bodies I wouldn't even consider it. They have nothing extra to offer me, though I know many still prefer OVF and the faster AF some dslr can offer, they're mostly bulkier/heavier/noisier [shutter] and they're not as good for adapting old lenses. EVF have gotten that good I think I would find an OVF odd to use now.

I switched over to Sony from Nikon DSLR's just under a year ago.

At first I kept both systems slowly selling off the Nikon stuff. Up until a week or two ago I still had a D850 a D750 and a couple of lenses. They hadn't been used in some time though.

Running both systems side by side there wasn't a difference in image quality allowing for the extra resolution for the D850. The real difference was with general ease of use and reliability in terms of autofocus performance. The Sony system is simply just way better and also has the added advantages of the EVF vs an OVF,

Using the Nikon's after getting used to the Sony's was like taking a step back in time, they felt old and clunky even though they are not.

The Nikon's are now gone and weirdly I almost felt a little sad as I have been shooting Nikon for the best part of 20 years, I wouldn't consider going back to a DSLR though even a newer model.

I do know a few people who have done exactly that although most of those bought into Fuji and then jumped ship back to DSLR's mainly because they missed having a full frame sensor and mirrorless full frame wasn't in their budget. Two other guys I know went to Sony then jumped back to Nikon DSLR's as bizarrely they thought that there images where too sharp and didn't have the look of their previous system. What it actually came down to was that they simply weren't used to pretty much no focus issues. One of them has went back to Sony again.

I shall be since I want to try catching the Milky Way better than I've managed before and I reckon the D750 and a 14mm f/2.8 will make a better fist of it than the X-T2 and 10-24. I'm happier focussing with a proper viewfinder and a focussing ring that has a physical connection to the internals. I'll be taking the 24-120 as a walkaround too and won't be bothering with anything longer.

I shall be since I want to try catching the Milky Way better than I've managed before and I reckon the D750 and a 14mm f/2.8 will make a better fist of it than the X-T2 and 10-24. I'm happier focussing with a proper viewfinder and a focussing ring that has a physical connection to the internals. I'll be taking the 24-120 as a walkaround too and won't be bothering with anything longer.
I agree on the focusing ring physically connected to the optics but I find the magnified view of an EVF hundreds of times better than an OVF for focusing.

After going Canon 50D-->7D-->5Diii over 8 years, I changed to Fuji for the sake of my back and shoulders - no other reason at all. The X-T2 had just been launched and I went for it. Changed to X-T3 when that came out.

For what I shoot, it does what I want.

I can now go all day with X-T3 with 18-55 attached, 10-24, 50-140 and 35 f/1.4 in a slingback weighing in at half the weight of the backpack I had full of the equivalent Canon gear. (5Diii/24-105/10-22/70-200 f/2.8).

Would I go back to Canon? Yes, like a shot if I had a new body that was 30 years younger than the one I hvae now.

Last edited:
I am curious to see if the next Canon R incarnation is enough to make me sell my Olympus set up / trade in a Canon FF DSLR although to be fair my Oly set up is so light and compact I probably won't let it go.

I have a Pentax K-1 and lenses for full frame IQ (landscape etc), a Nikon D500 for Airshows/wildlife (AF/tracking) and a Canon M5 for macro and portability.

I would love to find a mirrorless (or a DSLR) that could do all things as well as those in one package but nothing exists AFAIK.

which is a shame because no matter which system I take I always seem to need one of the others while I am out. :rolleyes:

:canon::nikon::pentax:

Hmmm, after re-reading this to myself perhaps I should be asking for help in the GAS confessional thread.

Last edited:
Bought an A7 in 2014/15 from a 5D2 & a selection of lenses. Sold most (28mm 50mm) kept the 5D2 & 135L for about 9 months. Didn't use them at all so they went.

I could happily go back to DSLR but there's too many advantages to mirrorless to make it worthwhile, just being able to easily adapt lenses from different systems is worth the price of admission.

Never even considered Mirrorless as all the ones that I have tried (mostly Canon and Sony) are pretty mediocre. When they get a viewfinder that shows real time and AF to match my out of date DSLR cameras then I will buy in!

I love the principle of ML but they are just not there yet for my uses.

Back