Has anyone completed the Photography Institute online course?

I enrolled for the course in the autumn but an impending move to Australia slowed things down considerably. Anyway, I'm still here for now so I need to get a move on and work through these assignments. Basically I'm up to mod 5 assignment 3 and I'm wondering if anyone out there who is roughly at the same stage would like a 'virtual,' course buddy or just someone to fire off questions or ideas at ...I know it would definately help my own motivation and enthusiasm . I'm more than happy to be contacted by email...I presume its on my forum profile but if not I'll put it on. It would be great to be able to complete the course with others as opposed to just feeling like I'm working through a home learning pack. Ta! Howard.

Guys can someone give me a link to the website? Looking to do a course and I've had a few emails about a special offer but wanted to check if it is this course that is being referred to or not!

The thread start off being about http://www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk/, which I expect is the one your getting emails from offering 50% off until Feb 28th.

However the majority of the content in this thread relates to the Diploma in Professional Photography:
http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/become.htm

Which is also the one I'm doing, its actually "run" by the Blackford Centre, though its often quoted as being the Institute of Photography because of their website name (though IoP also is another website too based in Ireland that offer courses, its quite confusing!).

The course content seems to be good so far. I chose this course over the PI one as its more business minded, the idea being that you'll be able to create some kind of income from photography by the end of the course. That said its not just an expensive business seminar .pdf, theres a breakdown of the course here: http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/syllabus.htm/.

Hope that helps.

Update.
I'm going to be shooting Assignment 3 this weekend all going well. Have already started reading the start of Module 4 and might shoot the 4.1 Exercise this weekend too if I have time and the weather holds out.

As ninety 90 says, most doing the black ford centre one.

Good luck with module 3, I'm in the process of completing module 5. That's if the weather holds out.

Regards

Steve

riu said:
As 19 ninety says, most doing the black ford centre one.

Good luck with module 3, I'm in the process of completing module 5. That's if the weather holds out.

Regards

Steve

The thread start off being about http://www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk/, which I expect is the one your getting emails from offering 50% off until Feb 28th.
However the majority of the content in this thread relates to the Diploma in Professional Photography:

Which is also the one I'm doing, its actually "run" by the Blackford Centre, though its often quoted as being the Institute of Photography because of their website name (though IoP also is another website too based in Ireland that offer courses, its quite confusing!).

The course content seems to be good so far. I chose this course over the PI one as its more business minded, the idea being that you'll be able to create some kind of income from photography by the end of the course. That said its not just an expensive business seminar .pdf, theres a breakdown of the course here: http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/syllabus.htm/.

Hope that helps.

Update.
I'm going to be shooting Assignment 3 this weekend all going well. Have already started reading the start of Module 4 and might shoot the 4.1 Exercise this weekend too if I have time and the weather holds out.

I've been swithering over both the courses for 2 months now, and I also like the content of the OCA course which can lead to a degree (after 12 years!). Can't make up my mind, but if the PI are offering 50% off until 28th Feb then this could help me make my decision. I guess I can wait a couple of weeks to see if I get this 50% email as well.

Thanks for posting about it's availability!
David

I'd be very interested in doing this at 50% off. I received an offer email from them in November with 30% off for the "scuffed" course and I was hugely tempted but with it being so close to Xmas I held back. It now seems the "scuffed page" has either been moved on their site or it no longer exists.

I'd be very interested in doing this at 50% off. I received an offer email from them in November with 30% off for the "scuffed" course and I was hugely tempted but with it being so close to Xmas I held back. It now seems the "scuffed page" has either been moved on their site or it no longer exists.

The scuffed offer is still there Martin...clickity click

Ah the confusion continues :LOL:

The "30% off scuffed copy" course is for the Diploma in Professional Photography course, I'm not aware they have ever run a 50% off promotion.
The "50% off" email is for the thephotographyinstitute.co.uk course.

I would have loved to do the OCA course and get a BA Hons .... but at 8hrs a week for 12 years plus nearly a grand per module, I cant ever hope to be able to afford that much time and money ... which is a real shame as the OCA course looks extremely good.

Maybe its time for a dedicated DiPP thread...?

[EDIT]
I've started a dedicated thread to the DiPP course if anyone is interested:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=463448

Last edited:
The "50% off" email is for the thephotographyinstitute.co.uk course.

I have £150 off offer in one e-mail and £100 off offer in another e-mail !!!!

I'd be very grateful if someone could link to the 50% off for the Photography Institute course as this would probably make my mind up which one to do!

I'd be very grateful if someone could link to the 50% off for the Photography Institute course as this would probably make my mind up which one to do!

It is on offer 50% off now - only £325 until 28th February!!!

I signed it up months ago and waited for them to make that promotion! I had £50 off, £100 off, £150 off... and now £325 off and I am going for it

It is on offer 50% off now - only £325 until 28th February!!!

I signed it up months ago and waited for them to make that promotion! I had £50 off, £100 off, £150 off... and now £325 off and I am going for it

Bah, lucky man! Last week I received an email for £150 off, giving price of £499 until 28th February. Don't think I'll be getting the 50% offer anytime soon but will dive in when/if it comes.

Enjoy the course mate!

Bah, lucky man! Last week I received an email for £150 off, giving price of £499 until 28th February. Don't think I'll be getting the 50% offer anytime soon but will dive in when/if it comes.

Enjoy the course mate!

I have got the same offer in my OTHER e-mail !!! You'll get your turn - maybe next month

I'm now on module three of the course and i have to say that i am completely puzzled it's all about exposure and metering. Just ordered a grey card from Amazon and going to take it from there. Anyone else struggled with this module / assignment.

I've just got the inst.org course.

Looks good albeit a little cheesy on some aspects.

Looking forward to the modules. I'm not sure if there is enough help in each module, but I've only skim read first bits.

So... Anyone who has done the inst.org course still active in TP? You must all have completed the course by now! Any updated reviews to share? I'm now trying to decide whether to do a free online course, paid online course, or paid local college course.

So... Anyone who has done the inst.org course still active in TP? You must all have completed the course by now! Any updated reviews to share? I'm now trying to decide whether to do a free online course, paid online course, or paid local college course.

Same as you, looking to do something more structured with my photography this year so would really like some feedback on the course, seems the 'scuffed' version is £470 which is no small sum to lay out so really would appreciate some geunine and unbiased feedback from anyone who completed the course.

I've done this course which is often confused with the Photography Institute course:-

I'd recommend it in a flash - I learnt a lot from it and considering where I am now, it's done me no harm at all :)

Ryan- what level were you at before you began this course?? AND have you taken any other courses since to get to where you are now? I'm really interested in doing it myself, I've seen your website and obviously you are now a brilliant and working photographer-

I have a good 'nack' for capturing lovely moments etc, know the basics of using a DSLR, but am wanting to further my skills to a professional standard- could you whole heartedly say that this course can take me there?? I'm not put off at all by the price I can't believe how cheap it is actually!!

I must be mad looking at this as I'm just starting my PGCE in Higher Education!

I did a short course with these guys:
https://www.institute-of-photography.com/

Overall I had it finished rather quickly and left me wanting to do another course with them. They have several courses which they call diplomas and I was tempted. It wasn't until I emailed them and asked if the courses gave a nationally recognised accredited qualification and they said no. So you would undertake this course and at the end get a certificate saying you had a diploma but only with them, it wasn't a recognised qualification which meant nothing.

Seemed a bit naughty to me as my idea of diploma was getting a proper qualification that would stand up and be recognised.

Anyway, going back to the 2 links: the Blackford centre and Pi (Photography Institute,) do these then actually give you a proper diploma, one that is nationally recognised ??

I'm asking as both sites don't mention what the end qualification is, who accredits it and if it is a nationally recognised qualification?

Hello everyone,

New to the forum. My home is Miami, FL. Being semi retired I now have the time to pursue my love of photography.

I was looking for an online photography course and found this forum and this discussion. After reading the discussion and the wonderful reviews I bit the bullet, (finally), and bought the course. Now to wait for the box of goodies to arrive.

Looking forward to participating.

Thanks,

Mike

Ladybird did you take the course? If you did why do you think it is a rip off?

Mike

All, I have recently completed the Diploma run by the Blackford Centre gaining a distinction. Prior to doing the course I had only a little experience of photography.
I am a person who needs some direction, this course gave me that. The actual content of the course did not learn me a great deal when it comes to the technical side, however it pushed me to broaden my own knowledge.
The assignments gave me an insight into types of photography I would not have normally have tried, and the feedback from the "tutor, Jeremy Webb" was always constructive, critical and helpful.
I think it cost me £500 for the course, to me it was worth it, but as I said in the opening statement I need direction and structure when learning new things, others do not, and the web is a great learning resource. So each to their own.

Prior to the course I had never made a penny from photography, during the course I had multiple images in the mail online, I have been published in the boxing news, done web based work for a major Bread manufacturer, and have done 15 or so weddings.

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal choice- and this is yours.

I paid for the OU course and never bothered starting it. It was a complete hassle getting online, bugger all of any interest and their lack of enthusiasm for me as a client was only matched by mine for theirs. I couldn't even get details of who my 'tutor' actually was in order to contact them. Load of old toffee.

Back