HDEW CAMERAS anyone used them?

I found HDEW very up front about where the cameras come from - imported from Hong Kong, and as I bought body only, it did come in a box that would have included a kit lens, so they separate out and resell - and when I bought my 60D it came with their 3 yr extended cover. They were also more than happy for me to pick it up from their offices.

After a little over a year my 60D's grip started to separate, a common fault with early models.

I contacted HDEW who advised me to send it to AJ Johnston in Glasgow, a well respected Canon service centre. Either I would pick up the tab, and they would reimburse me, or they would pay the invoice direct.

After a week, A J Johnston contacted me, and told me my camera was ready, I asked them to also contact HDEW. The man I spoke to told me that he had no hesitation in recommending HDEW's customer service, and on more than one occasion where it was dubious whether it was actually the customer getting the camera wet, they erred on the side of the customer's word and paid up.

I contacted HDEW and they told me they would pay it direct, and my camera is on it's way back.

First class service and an unbeatable price.

PS I know this is my first post and that makes some people suspicious, but I tried hard to find any experiences online when I bought my camera from them, only a lot of conjecture - a lot of it very wary, and I believe in promoting good customer service and it certainly has been.

So then, rubberbuggy, how long have you been working for HDEW? :cautious:

Only joking!! Nyuk nyuk nyuk :LOL:

My 5d arrived today, only complaint......i was expecting an e-mail to say it was en route, and i didn't get one.
So, ordered Friday, arrived Wednesday. works for me :D

I see they are currently selling the D700 for £1599 with 3 year warranty - apparently 2 in stock. Certainly a good price for anyone looking for one.

Ok ok... I think you guys here might have sold me on HDEW.

Looks like I'll be ordering my 7D and some bits tonight... :) I'd have purchased from DigitalRev but the UK postal address and slightly lower price is too tempting.

Ok...EOS 7D and 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Ordered. £1328 Delivered. :)

Ok ok... I think you guys here might have sold me on HDEW.

Looks like I'll be ordering my 7D and some bits tonight... :) I'd have purchased from DigitalRev but the UK postal address and slightly lower price is too tempting.

Not to mention 3 years warranty (y)

Yup :) Hopefully be with me in a few days :D

Hi guys
I've just bought my canon 7d + 15-85 kit for £1320, ordered it on the 27th Feb received it on the morning of the 27th just as they said with uk invoice with address on it. Everything was there including card for 3year warranty.

I did my homework on the company before I bought and phoned the horses mouth (Canon Uk) and asked about the warranty. They told me that the camera would be covered by them for the first year with the evidence of a Uk invoice with there address on it. They also told me that it is European law now that the retailer has to cover it for a second year, this I'm going to look further into but as HDEW are giving you an extra two years this must be the case. Beside why would Canon Uk tell this if it wasn't?

The only negative I've got about the kit was the instruction manual was a photocopy, stapled together in a open flat form, and the battery charger for the Asia or Us electrical system which had a travel adaptor for the Uk fitted to it which was no big deal for me. It all works 100% and I'm happy, saved about £120 and got another 2yrs warranty, what more do I need?

Same here. Mine arrived this morning. All absolutley SPOT on perfect. Everything in the box that should be. The 15-85 is a substantial piece of kit. Feels nice and weighty.

Manual is an official Canon booklet, all CD's included in the box. Correct UK Plug.

Not had the chance to get the battery on charge yet as was on my way to work as it was being delivered so have it all with me here :D.

Very pleased with the service from HDEW so another positive feedback for them to aid others in making their decision. Of course, I've yet to try the camera but I'm sure all will be good.

Let's call it a draw, Ian (y)

I used mine properly today, it really is a big improvement on my 40d!

Useable high iso meant I could shoot a couple of hours longer.

Hope you're enjoying yours.

Thumbs up for HDEW (y)

hehe, I'm upgrading from a 400D to the 7D so I reckon I'll be blown away although taking nothing from the 400, it has done me an EXCELLENT service.

As for my 7D, Courier arrived as I was leaving the house, got back in at 9:30 this evening so have not had a chance yet Doh !. Tomorrow evening it'll be now but I do have the weekend of so I know what I'll be doing :D.

Glad you're enjoying yours too.

I ordered from HDEW cameras on Friday and my nice shiney new Canon 550d arrived on Wednesday.

The service from them has been absolutely top notch and the price was fantastic with a 3 year warranty as well.

They get a big thumbs up from me. (y)

Just so you guys can see the quality of kit being received from HDEW (btw, I DO NOT work for them... just a very happy customer :) ).

...here's a few shots

Ironically, taken with my 400D whilst the battery was charging. I'm hoping to take a few shots over the weekend with the new one :)

IMG6989-L.jpg

IMG6990-L.jpg

IMG6995-L.jpg

IMG7007-L.jpg

IMG7009-L.jpg

IMG6992-L.jpg

Mine arrived this morning:D

It was in a "15-85 kit" box, complete with 3 yr warranty card & proper instruction booklet - I'd be a bit miffed with a photocopy, Dave :cautious:

Anyway, battery's on charge, then I can start setting up my custom functions!

Thanks for the tip mate, got in touch with HDEW about the photocopy and they sent me a proper copy of the manual, no quibble.
I've just ordered my new telephoto lens 70-300 f4-5.6l is usm, its on its way, can't wait.;)

Ordered a 5D mkii from HDEW last Wednesday, as of Friday it still hadn't been dispatched so I called them. They seem to have a lot of orders, but looks like they bumped me up the queue and sent it off that evening to arrive Monday. For £1349.99 delivered with 3 year warranty it seems a great deal. Looking forward to Monday so I can "play" with my shiny new mkii :)

Hi Guys and gyals.

It probably seems weird that this is my first post but I have bee looking to purchase a 5D mk 2 for some time now. and I have been looking at HDEW as they seem to be the cheapest that are based in the UK (I know their cameras are imports), and good used cameras seem to be going for similar-ish money.

I have read many reviews on may forums, and the amout of information I've read is making my head spin:wacky: much of the positive posts on forums have been made by people with only post there in relation to HDEW.

This post has eased most of my concerns around receiving the item(s) I purchase as much support has come from established members. However I still have some concerns around using Sagepay.

For those that have purchased items from HDEW cameras, what system did you use to pay? and, have there been any dodgy (fraudulent) transactions made using your details since?

I want to make it clear that I am not affiliated with either company and do not wish to tarnish any companies name, but I want to be sure that my money is safe.

Apologies for the long post but your experiences are extremely helpful, and I am sure this will help many others like me.

P.S. I'll try to stick around after this (no promises, lol) oh and feel free to have a look and comment on my flicker account.

P.P.S. my eyes feel like they are bleeding now so I apologise in advance for not proof reading this post.

From a consumers point of view there is nothing really to worry about. They are a recognised trusted company (previously known as Protx) albeit not the best respected provider from a merchants point of view due to down times etc.

Hi Guys and gyals.

It probably seems weird that this is my first post but I have bee looking to purchase a 5D mk 2 for some time now. and I have been looking at HDEW as they seem to be the cheapest that are based in the UK (I know their cameras are imports), and good used cameras seem to be going for similar-ish money.

I have read many reviews on may forums, and the amout of information I've read is making my head spin:wacky: much of the positive posts on forums have been made by people with only post there in relation to HDEW.

This post has eased most of my concerns around receiving the item(s) I purchase as much support has come from established members. However I still have some concerns around using Sagepay.

For those that have purchased items from HDEW cameras, what system did you use to pay? and, have there been any dodgy (fraudulent) transactions made using your details since?

I want to make it clear that I am not affiliated with either company and do not wish to tarnish any companies name, but I want to be sure that my money is safe.

Apologies for the long post but your experiences are extremely helpful, and I am sure this will help many others like me.

P.S. I'll try to stick around after this (no promises, lol) oh and feel free to have a look and comment on my flicker account.

P.P.S. my eyes feel like they are bleeding now so I apologise in advance for not proof reading this post.

You have nothing to worry about using sagepay, I use them on my website and they are VERY secure.

I bought my 550d from these guys and I'm very happy with the service I recieved.

I contacted HDEW who advised me to send it to AJ Johnston in Glasgow, a well respected Canon service centre. Either I would pick up the tab, and they would reimburse me, or they would pay the invoice direct.

I got A.J Johnson to replace the focus screen in my 550d, it came back well packaged with all the work done, (y) i thought, looked through the eye piece and there was a large finger print on the focus screen on the side that i couldnt get to without removing the screen, also my sensor had loads of dust on it, very dissapointed with their service but i should have contacted them had i not sold the camera a week later.

I bought my equipment from HDEW. Ordered Wednesday afternoon, delivered Thursday morning. Great service + great price = happy customer

So far have ordered a 5DII, 24-70,24-105 and a 300 f4L.. No dramas at all! UK invoice given, VAT reg'd.

The 5DII USB out snapped whilst tethering (a 5DII issue which Canon 'know' about: rang up HDEW as had the 3 year, given a number straight to Elstree (was CPS so 3 day turn around).

No hesitation what so ever!

:)

After reading this I think I'm going to grab a 7D tonight for £835 before the price goes up. Fi gets crossed my experience matches the others here :)

Going for the 7D offer today, sent them an email last night with a few questions and got a reply straight away in out of office hours. So far do good :)

Let's hope the delivery is as good, I hate waiting for things....

I also looked at Hdew and looked at comments around the web, and most comon answers were
yes they are grey imports.
yes they have an office in Surry which you are welcome to collect from.
SLRs comment makes it 50/50 because I read that someone else had called Canon direct and was advised they would not cover UK warrenty but Hdew would ship away for any repairs.
Final thing to concider with cameras is the firmware updates will this be an issue?

The order has being placed, I'll keep you up to date with the delivery etc.

Why did I choose HDEW?

Imports do not bother me, if I'm in another country and an items significantly cheaper than the UK I will buy it. I've done this with iPads, iPods and electrical goods for years. If you are willing to push when a warranty claim is required you will get results.

Now with HDEW they are giving an extended warranty and UK VAT receipt, and have a great track record for honouring repairs. I understand that the extended warranty is with a third party, but every used car, electrical item from currys etc you buy which comes with a warranty will be, 9/10, supplied by a third party. If the firm goes bust I will chase the supplier, simples.

The cameras come of the same production line all I care about is taking pictures with it. Who gives a monkeys about a plug...

Trade, custom laws/charge and large corporation domination disgust me, makes me mad. Anything I can do to swerve, dodge, bend the rules, none conform and make sure my money goes to somebody that works for it is a win for me.

And above all else, it's a bloody bargain!!!!

P.S. I can't wait for the beast to arrive now, did I mention I HATE waiting for things!!!

Final thing to concider with cameras is the firmware updates will this be an issue?

Absolute worst case you have to look in the US or HK/JP section of the manufacturer's website for the version that's for your camera...

Just spoke to them on the phone, apparently once you order, they will then order it in for you. Because of Easter holidays probably won't see it until early next week.. However once you get "item has been dispatched" email you'll have the goods next working day.

Back