HDEW CAMERAS anyone used them?

Hi, I been looking to buy a Canon EOS 7D with Canon EF 24-105/4L IS USM.
The best price I have found is from HDEW CAMERAS.
Has anyone used them and do they sell UK items or grey improts?
Canon EOS 7D http://stores.hdewcameras.com/-strse-323/Canon-7D-Digital-SLR/Detail.bok
Canon EF 24-105/4L IS USMhttp://stores.hdewcameras.com/-strse-22/CANON-24-dsh-105is%2C24-dsh-105is%2C24-dsh-105is%2Cdigital-camcorder%2CSLR-DIGITAL/Detail.bok
I bought a Canon 7D body from them about 2 months ago, no problems at all, good emails from them as well, camera is spot on, and I saved some money.....oh and you get a 3 year warranty with the camera. Brilliant!!

Found them to be rude and extremely slow. They also don't keep their stock in store so you have to give them loads of notice if you want to go down aNd collect the camera you bought.

I ordered a Nikon D5100 a few weeks ago from them ordered it on the monday night and it was delivered on the Thursday Morning no problems at all.

Last edited:
leepunyer said:
I think you must have caught them on an off day considering most other people have had a god experience with them.

If someone offers me bad service I just won't use them. The women was rude on the phone and sounded a little stuck up. I'm not spending any money in shops like that!

jeff.lebowski said:
I want to buy Canon 5D mark II body.

HDEW Cameras are currently selling it for £1,315.00 + £9.99 delivery.
http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-5d-mark-ii-digital-slr-camera-body-196-p.asp

Simply Electronics offers it for £1,289.95 + free delivery so £35.04 cheaper.
http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=5794&setcurrency=gbp

Who would you buy from?

HDEW - their feedback is generally positive whereas simply electronics feedback is generally negative

Placed my order with HDEW Cameras today. So far so good, order status updated to PAID... NOW PROCESSING. Will give you more feedback once the camera arrives.

Just received my e-mail confirming despatch for an AM delivery tomorrow, I'll let you know if it arrives on time...

I want to buy Canon 5D mark II body.

HDEW Cameras are currently selling it for £1,315.00 + £9.99 delivery.
http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-5d-mark-ii-digital-slr-camera-body-196-p.asp

Simply Electronics offers it for £1,289.95 + free delivery so £35.04 cheaper.
http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=5794&setcurrency=gbp

Who would you buy from?

I've only made one purchase from Simply Electronic and I had to chase them up all the way to get the item delivered. On the other hand, my dealings with Hdew recently as so good, I'd deal with them again.

Di

My lens arrived this morning, nicely packaged and wrapped in loads of bubble wrap. One happy customer.

Hello, I just joined today and this is my first post in the forum (and I dont work for hdew).

I bought my Nikon D90 with 18-55 + 55-200 vr lenses in December 2010, a 50mm 1.8 in Feb 2011, a 24mm 2.8 in August 2011 and a 80-200 2.8 just last month. With all my purchases I didnt encounter any problems, if the item is in stock I received it the next day with free postage. The camera's and probably the lenses are non eu but they do not hide this. I find the staff polite and helpfull and are always at the other end of the phone and never on hold. I hope this helps BTW. How do I view the classifieds in the forum, it says private ???

I also ordered but cancelled after waiting over two weeks for an SB900 from simply electronics and I struggled to speaking to anyone on the phone. It took about 5 emails to finally get my order cancelled. BTW VAT is not included nor charged on items at simplyelectronics.

Got my email saying that my order is updated to Paid... Now Processing.

The wait is going to kill me I think

I will be interested to know how you get on. I contacted HDEW via email and got a polite and positive response, plus having handled a 60D in a few shops over the last few days I am tempted by their prices.

I really can't justify paying nearly £200 more for the same thing from a UK retailer.

I will be interested to know how you get on. I contacted HDEW via email and got a polite and positive response, plus having handled a 60D in a few shops over the last few days I am tempted by their prices.

I really can't justify paying nearly £200 more for the same thing from a UK retailer.

Got an update last night saying dispatched so fingers crossed it will arrive today/tomorrow. Being in the far north of Scotland probably tomorrow.

Found them to be rude and extremely slow. They also don't keep their stock in store so you have to give them loads of notice if you want to go down aNd collect the camera you bought.

Hi All, just joined the forum. I recently purchased a Canon 5D mkII from HDEW. I did a lot of reading up on them (various forums, including here), before deciding to use them (significant saving on an import, vs the high street). I asked HDEW a couple of questions before making the purchase, and they replied quickly. The camera arrived within the period they said, though it was actually faulty (a mark in the view finder). I called them, and they offered to swap it for a new one (and to pay for the postage). I am in Essex, and decided to drive to their Surrey office to do the switch. All in all, I found them very polite and professional.

Placed my order with HDEW Cameras today. So far so good, order status updated to PAID... NOW PROCESSING. Will give you more feedback once the camera arrives.

Thumbs up for HDEW Cameras from me! (y)

Placed an order for Canon 5D Mark II body on Wednesday 9th May, order status updated to DISPATCHED on Thursday 17th May and courier delivered on Friday 18th May by 12PM as promised.

Overall really happy with the price and product. Paid £1325 for it (including delivery) while it currently costs £1595 at Jessops. Not sure if it is imported from Asia / USA or if it is from UK stock but it came with 3 pin UK type plug, English manual and also has got all 25 languages in menu - so it ticks all the boxes for UK type. The box was for body and kit lens 24-105mm so they have split it and sell lens separately. Not a problem for me.

You get one year guarantee with Canon and further 2 years with Xtendcover. Not much info available about this company but there was a card in the box so HDEW claims that should anything go wrong all I need to do is to contact them and they will do the rest. Apparently they use authorised repairers in UK so this is definitely a bonus.

Can't fault communication and delivery as well. Got emails from HDEW at every stage of processing my order (order placed, paid... now processing, dispatched) also got a text from a courier (UK MAIL) confirming that the order will be delivered by 12PM.

Loving my new camera as it is a significant upgrade from crop body and a different league of picture quality thanks to a full frame sensor - I use only prime lenses.

Would recommend HDEW Cameras and would use them myself in the future.

Just bought a Canon G12 from HDEW. First class, friendly service. Quick response to emails and fast delivery.

Al

Hi, I ordered from HDEW last Monday, and Canon 60d delivered on Saturday.

Saturday delivery was at no extra charge.

Camera was in a box that originally had a standard lens in. But all required items were in the box. The battery charger includes an adapter for the UK. The charger I have plugs directly into the socket as opposed to having a lead, so is a bit ungainly with the adapter on the end of it.

The camera comes with a card for repairer incase HDEW go out of business in the next 3 years and you need to use the included 3 year warranty.

It also ships with a invoice/receipt from them as a UK seller, which reading other websites implies that Canon UK will also offer a 12 month warranty on the camera too.

Overall I'll use HDEW again, great service and low prices.

D.

Anyone know their UK VAT reg number? I'd be interested to know so I can check it.

Just bought a 300mm 2.8 through em. Very happy so far. Will be happier when it arrives ;)

Phoned HDEW on Wednesday 21 June to ask if they could deliver a 5D Mark II with 24-105mm lens and an extra battery by 27 June. They advised they would mark the delivery down for Wednesday. Received an email confirming order, and then one day later an email advising it would be delivered before 12pm on Monday 25 June. Everything arrived on the Monday. Great service, delivery and prices, so would use them again.
The battery charger was a non UK, but came with a small adapter plug, so no problem, and is smaller to carry around than a UK charger and mains lead!

Anyone know their UK VAT reg number? I'd be interested to know so I can check it.

Just bought a 300mm 2.8 through em. Very happy so far. Will be happier when it arrives ;)

not sure why you would want to check, they are VAT registered as they will supply VAT receipts if required.

If you are thinking anything else, then that would be fraud

I'll tell you why. Because as a VAT registered business I stand to loose if they were not. (though they say they are). I have checked online and can't find it. It should be in the public domain (as mine is). Maybe its because their service has been excellent, their pricing also, and having had a bad stroke of luck recently I am thinking this can't be real?

Not thinking of anything else (thought not even sure what you think I could do - given any camera shop displays their VAT number online - so why would I need HDEWS specifically?) But it is the law that VAT registered companies websites should display it. They don't. Hence my nervousness. After all that is why we have such services as this (http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/vatResponse.html) to check such things BEFORE we purchase.

Last edited:
I'll tell you why. Because as a VAT registered business I stand to loose if they were not. (though they say they are). I have checked online and can't find it. It should be in the public domain (as mine is). Maybe its because their service has been excellent, their pricing also, and having had a bad stroke of luck recently I am thinking this can't be real?

Not thinking of anything else (thought not even sure what you think I could do - given any camera shop displays their VAT number online - so why would I need HDEWS specifically?) But it is the law that VAT registered companies websites should display it. They don't. Hence my nervousness. After all that is why we have such services as this (http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/vatResponse.html) to check such things BEFORE we purchase.

Fully understand that, but a company that has taken so much business and one which will produce a VAT Receipt on request stands to loose well Everything if indeed they are not a company who are registered when they are producing receipts which state they are.

I didn't get one when i got my camera but I know others on here certainly have.

I'm sure someone can pass you over the number, or indeed contact them direct if you have any doubts.

Last edited:

You have to request a VAT receipt but their VAT number is genuine - I checked it.

I can't help thinking there might be something fishy about HDEW and their prices. It does seem odd that the VAT number is not on the website; but the paperwork was fine, and the delivery was good.

You have to request a VAT receipt but their VAT number is genuine - I checked it.

Has anyone ever requested the VAT receipt? - I can't find a mention of anyone having a VAT receipt in their hands when posting about HDEW.

Do they supply a VAT receipt for VAT on the value of the goods, or for VAT on a service charge that forms a smaller part of the total transaction?

Has anyone ever requested the VAT receipt? - I can't find a mention of anyone having a VAT receipt in their hands when posting about HDEW.

Do they supply a VAT receipt for VAT on the value of the goods, or for VAT on a service charge that forms a smaller part of the total transaction?

The VAT receipt is perfectly fine. Just ask for one and don't worry about it!

Thanks for the reassurances folks. It's just what I needed. Having spent more than 5k I'm sure you can understand a little nervousness.

Another point to note when considering HDEW. The company they say offers the extended warranty (Xtendcover Limited) does not appear to be registered in the UK.

I am not using their xtencover warranty. Their camera price for what I wanted was no cheaper than UK. Besides I'm still caught between another MKIV (my 4th!!!!) or a 1DX

Order has now shipped and expected to be with me before noon tomorrow. Only issue being Im going to have to stay in until lunch for it arrive.

Items have been delivered. But unfortunately I could not be present. Now waiting to pick up from my neighbour this evening. I will report back then.

Ok boxes open and goods inspected (I think the 300mm outer box may have been opened to inspect the lens before shipping but one this is certain. The lens had not been fully unpacked. All is good in the hood. Spent over 5 grand blind and am very very happy with the level of service and communication provided by these guys. Looking forward to using them again.

Back