Heading to southern Wales (Brecon Beacons & Pembrokeshire) - tips please!

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi!

My wife and I are taking a trip over Easter, and I'd love to get my feet wet while I'm there (figuratively speaking).
Being from NZ, castles are still the most novel thing that get me reaching for the camera, but I'm hoping to do a spot of night photography, too.
If there's anything else I should be keeping an eye out for, please let me know!

Lens-wise, I found my 50mm a little restrictive when we were in Bath, as it was difficult to capture cathedrals in the tight spaces.
I don't imagine this will be as big a problem in Wales?

I'm looking to invest in the Sigma 17 - 50 soon for a bit more versatility - it seems like a good lens, from what I've read.
I know, I know... It's not all about the lenses. But they help, right?
Let me know if you'd recommend trying to get hold of one of those before I go.

Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

There are some great locations in Pembrokeshire. The peninsulas tend to be the most interesting for landscapes - Marloes, St Davids, and the latter has a cathedral. The north-west coast tends to be the wildest, anywhere from St Davids to Newport. There should be seabirds on some of the cliffs eg Elegug Stacks near Pembroke. If you like power stations and oil refineries you'll love Milford Haven.:eek:

Standard lenses are a bit restrictive........

As said above, there is loads of places in West Eales and the South West (The Gowe Peninsular is an AONB and one of my favourites is Rhossili Bay

https://www.visitswanseabay.com/listings/rhossili-bay-beach/

Lots to see and no cars right up against the Beach.

Another place I like is Pendine Beach, not too far from Temby, famous flatsand sea front that was used for landspeed record runs in the 1930s. Full of mobile homes and caravans but the seafront is uncluttered looking along the sands and the blue light can be superb. It will be busy Easter time.

The area around Laugham is nice too.

The Brecon Beacons is worth a visit , I am up and down there quite a bit as one of my nephews hobby is geology so we visit the quarries etc.

IMG_0789.jpg

Pendine Beach

Last edited:
North wales is the place for castles ,there's one every few miles

Tintern Abbey isn't too far away Andy also check out this site http://www.castlewales.com/wales_se.html. This lists all the castles and there locations in Wales. The Breacons is also quite famous for its waterfalls and waterfall walks. Google waterfall walks and you will get the maps and waterfalls. As Ryan above says Brecon is a Dark Sky area, anywhere in that area will be great for night and Astro work, not a lot of light pollution and that wider lens lends itself nicely to night work. If you want to climb Pen y fan go on down to the Storey Arms car park on the A470 out of Brecon and there is a motorway (hard footpath) pretty much all the way up.

Hope this helps a bit, enjoy your visit!

Last edited:
I recently learned of the existence of Ruperra Castle. Pretty epic, though it is privately owned and you can only see it from the perimeter walls/fence, which is a public footpath. Seems quite clear the land owner doesn't want people going in there and have read a report on Facebook they're a bit of a nutter if they catch you. http://www.ruperratrust.co.uk/

250px-Ruperra_Castle_Visit_2011.jpg

It was up for sale until fairly recently, big farm house and out buildings, that section as far as I know was sold off

Back