Heads up DxO PL6 is out

I did find this short video quite informative

View: https://youtu.be/Ek45YQYf_0Q?si=mS68mHp3Pd5dTkVm

The workflow has become IMO more conventional/user friendly???
Two useful improvements for me. I really like that they have shifted the local settings off the image.

Whilst I've always been happy with my colours from my OM system and PL6, I've found the filter I bought for the OM 150-400 changes the colours in a way I don't like, so I'm really happy that I will be able to produce a colour profile to offset this. Hoping the Black Friday deal will bring it down a bit.

I see that one of the new features with PL7 is the ability to have a camera profile based on a colour checker image. This seems to be a benefit and I’m wondering if it is worth considering buying one. I assumed that each lighting senario requires a picture taken with the colour checker but a little confused now. Is it a once only thing? Thoughts on benefits please.
I used to use a Color Checker in Lightroom when I didn't like the way it rendered my Canon R files. I would set it up for a certain lens and camera and lighting situation eg Canon R + 24-70 +sunlight. Once you have it set up you don't need it every time unless you're very picky or maybe shooting commercial images where colour is critical. I wouldn't buy one unless you're not happy with your colours.

With the update to Affinity this year along with the annual incremental PL7 update I am starting to wonder why I leapt from Lightroom / Photoshop subscription. Probably costing about the same.
I think one thing is that you have a choice with Photolab, you can stick with a version for a couple of years and in the meantime you don't lose access to the processing opportunities you have.

@Bebop

I have been getting their promo emails with a discounted price but as you mention, they have in the past made their BF that bit sweeter?

There has been some bug(?) spotting on the Windows version support forum.....to do with the tools behaviour which folk have reported......saying hopefully resolved soon?

Also, in their PL7 introduction webinar video one respondent asked why is the Luminosity Masking only activated when Film Pack is bought? IIRC the presenters said something like 'we will look into that'. IMO they should open that tool up as afteral not everyone requires or wants FP.

I will likely download and trial it to get a feel of it but IIRC BF is in late November therefore delay the install until within a month of BF :thinking:

As mentioned the upgrade pricing is for those that own, in the case of PL 7, either PL 5 or 6

But on this page you can can compare previous versions going back to Optics Pro11 i.e. the predecessor to PL1, to PL7 to aid any decisions...?

Last edited:
@Bebop

I have been getting their promo emails with a discounted price but as you mention, they have in the past made their BF that bit sweeter?

There has been some bug(?) spotting on the Windows version support forum.....to do with the tools behaviour which folk have reported......saying hopefully resolved soon?

Also, in their PL7 introduction webinar video one respondent asked why is the Luminosity Masking only activated when Film Pack is bought? IIRC the presenters said something like 'we will look into that'. IMO they should open that tool up as afteral not everyone requires or wants FP.

I will likely download and trial it to get a feel of it but IIRC BF is in late November therefore delay the install until within a month of BF :thinking:
Yep google tells me it's 24th November. I don't think I have received promo emails, but as I have been away I may have missed some.... not yet opened all mail.

I already have Film Pack, but I agree that tool should be available to everyone.

@d00d

Nik Collection is still available, i recalled an old post about it which is here and have just downloaded the Mac version to go onto my new MBP

After trying multiple times on a M1 MBP, the Nik Collection won't install on Sonoma, even after following the terminal commands in the previous video about forcing it to recognise it as a valid OS version

Last edited:
After trying multiple times on a M1 MBP, the Nik Collection won't install on Sonoma, even after following the terminal commands in the previous video about forcing it to recognise it as a valid OS version
Oh that’s not good I’ll not be installing Sonoma OS then

TBH the old Nik package is now very old and totally unsupported, so not surprising it’s not installing on updated machines.

TBH the old Nik package is now very old and totally unsupported, so not surprising it’s not installing on updated machines.
FWIW

I was using the old free Google download on my old W10 (W7 free update to W10).

With my newly licensed W10 build I installed it and it is fine.

But of note I only ever used it/them ver rarely.

Nik Collection user here, since 1999. Currently stuck on v5. Tried v6 for a month but will wait for v7 in the future. Using on old and new Windows boxes and HP laptop with no issues.

The Google version (around v1.2.11 or so) still loads in my Win10 boxes (haven't tried on my Win11 laptop). In that package I still use Viveza from time to time as the control point picker is much finer and easier to use.

I do like the new user interface design and the linear gradient tool in some of the applications.

The Nik Collection files work just fine on my Win10 pc, its just the Mac that it is not compatible with due to the OS version Sonoma

The DXO PhotoLab 7 Essentials is reduced from £129 to £89 and the Elite version is reduced from £209 to £159 for their Black Friday deal.

Back