Heat.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, that's about me, at my limit. 27 degrees and too hot for me.

I just met the schoolbus, on my way, passed one of the shops and glanced at their clock, which also shows inside and outside temperature. Inside is a nice, cool, air conditioned 18 degrees. Outside? 28. I'm not sure that is entirely accurate but it's close.

My car is saying 27, again, not sure on it's accuracy but I think it's about that. Indoors, our thermostat is saying 28.2. Obviously, no heating on as that's set to 18 but our thermostat constantly monitors the temperature. We're in a bungalow, so we get a lot of solar gain from the attic. It's melting up there, I only venture up there when it's this hot if I have to and 2 minutes up there is enough.

My workshop thermometer says 31, the workshop is made of 19mm, half log, tongue and groove cladding, lined and with a felt roof, door open.

It's actually cooler in the shade of my workshop, outside, than anywhere else at the moment.

I'm happier around 21 degrees, this is a bit much now, for me anyway.

Not a complaint by any means, I love the nice weather, I just wish it were a bit cooler.

Too hot for you, or just right?

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the warmth but it has been so dry, everything is getting very crispy and I am reluctant to run the sprinkler too much and hasten the inevitable hose pipe ban.

What we need is for the local news to send a reporter to Hawsewater to report on the drought, that usually makes it rain :)

It was 28 here earlier, seems its 26 now.
I used to love the heat but not anymore, 25oC and I'm done.
21-24 is far more mar preferable.

I'm enjoying the warmth but it has been so dry, everything is getting very crispy and I am reluctant to run the sprinkler too much and hasten the inevitable hose pipe ban.

What we need is for the local news to send a reporter to Hawsewater to report on the drought, that usually makes it rain :)

Same here, everything is dry. I have some rubbish to burn but that won't be happening for some time, even in our incinerator.

There is some thunder cracking off in the distance though. We had quite a storm yesterday but it was shortlived. Torrential rain but only for about 5 minutes, which more than likely just dampened the dust.

29C outside in the shade, my garden office is at 34C inside with the windows and patio door wide open, and the fans on the server are whizzing along because it's effectively a 350W fan heater. Pleasantly warm when sitting down, though I wouldn't want to be gardening in this sun.

Way too hot for me. Anything over 20 C is a bit much for me. Sat outside a couple of times today just to get some air and had to give up. I'd love to get my solar scope out but I can't be out with it.
Instead I've skulked in my study designing a gate
10 deg cooler and I could be out on the hills. But then I wouldn't get a new gate.........

It's been 28-30 over the last few days, though when we had a huge deluge on Sunday it dropped to 19. I like the heat but not the humidity, and in Greece or Turkey if the air is dry I'll happily walk around in 35+ degrees wearing tee, shorts and sandals looking at archeology.

Inside our house it's about 22-23 right now thanks to thick walls, though it will warm up more if the weather stays like this a few days longer. Looking forward to returning to France, where the weather has been 22-26 degrees and sunny most of the time over the last couple of weeks.

I like the heat but not the humidity, and in Greece or Turkey if the air is dry I'll happily walk around in 35+ degrees wearing tee, shorts and sandals looking at archeology.
It's the humidity that's the "killer" isn't it? I was walking across a prairie in the black hills of Dakota some years ago.
It was over 100oF ( they don't do centigrade out there :D ) I was fine in the dry heat, but my American companions were flagging.
The prairie Vultures, circling over head, must have known something I didn't :D

I am waiting for 40 degrees , same as last year , Most here at the moment is 27 :(

I've been working in a decent comms room for a few hours and the AC was working for a change but then i left the building and went to my car which said 36 degrees, xxxxx,

Mod Edit : sweary word, be gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
After spending 11 years in New Jersey, I consider these temperatures to be very reasonable and our winters to be almost tropical :)

Two days ago in the shade out back in Rossendale. It said 32.8 on Monday. My thermometer concurred.

20230611_144835.jpg

This was winter 2015 in NJ (the temp is 6.3F)

10898162_10152525180776933_3853584792246851210_n.jpg

This weather reminds me of growing up in Hong Kong, not that hot (upper 20's C), but high humidity (75% plus) so it was exhausting, 2-3 showers a day, shorts all summer etc. But then the winters were circa 12 degrees and we had thick jumpers on!

It's the humidity that's the "killer" isn't it? I was walking across a prairie in the black hills of Dakota some years ago.
It was over 100oF ( they don't do centigrade out there :D ) I was fine in the dry heat, but my American companions were flagging.
The prairie Vultures, circling over head, must have known something I didn't :D

Yes.Humidity knocks it out of you. It was 65% here,today.

I recall walking out of hotel in Phoenix, AZ and the heat (110F) hit me like a blast from a coal furnace. I didn't stay out long. I went to the Badlands, South Dakota. The Black Hills you were in are in the west of SD but a different range. I saw several Indian 'reservations'. Absolute poverty. So sad. A number of tribes including Sioux and Cheyenne live there. After eight visits (annually) to the US and travelling all the time an American told me that I'd travelled through more states than he had. I'd done nine by the time I'd finished. Most of it is miles and miles of flat nothingness. Great for photographing storms,though. I photographed a supercell one day. Nothing between us and it. I asked how far away it was..... 90-100miles :eek:

Last edited:
Earlier today, I did a quick check of temperatures in other European countries to see how we compared. I was chatting to a stormchase friend (Email) so I still have them.

Madrid 23C Barcelona 23C (rain) Lisbon 23C. Tenerife ..25C. Marseille 24C and where we’re going in July .. Lake Maggiore.. 23C (Rain).

However, in April these countries had..suffered, temperatures of 37C-39C . Some say that people in those countries will come here for holidays as the temperatures get too hot there in summer. ...but April isn't summer. They also get horrendous storms,more extreme than here.....so far.

I worked in the NT Australia for a few years, we used to have bets on the weather forecast for next day being 31 or 32C. I remember a South Australian came to work with us (construction) he had only been in the NT a few days and I advised him to take it easy until he got used to the heat, anyway, probably because I was a pom he took no notice. Took him to the local hospital that afternoon :rolleyes: , he was a bit quiet when he came back to work a few days later.:)

Growing up in Southern Spain I'm pretty much unaffected by the heat, it's the still air that gets me, after I'd finished for the day at 5pm, I went for a nice walk....

Looking back on it do you ever wish you'd stayed there ?

Earlier today, I did a quick check of temperatures in other European countries to see how we compared. I was chatting to a stormchase friend (Email) so I still have them.

Madrid 23C Barcelona 23C (rain) Lisbon 23C. Tenerife ..25C. Marseille 24C and where we’re going in July .. Lake Maggiore.. 23C (Rain).

However, in April these countries had..suffered, temperatures of 37C-39C . Some say that people in those countries will come here for holidays as the temperatures get too hot there in summer. ...but April isn't summer. They also get horrendous storms,more extreme than here.....so far.

Many of the British I talk to living in France say the south is now too hot in summer at 40+ and some have moved to Brittany to escape.

I find it weird that our French house is 500 miles south and yet still gets almost exactly the same weather we do in Oxfordshire.

I worked in the NT Australia for a few years, we used to have bets on the weather forecast for next day being 31 or 32C. I remember a South Australian came to work with us (construction) he had only been in the NT a few days and I advised him to take it easy until he got used to the heat, anyway, probably because I was a pom he took no notice. Took him to the local hospital that afternoon :rolleyes: , he was a bit quiet when he came back to work a few days later.:)

I expect you saw fantastic lightning storms.September to March time,of course. I think most of the life-threatening creatures live up in the north of the NT,too.... Top End (I think they say) As you see from my post to Cobra I storm-chased in the US..that was far enough at 4000 miles from here to Oklahoma. Yet.. each year, on tour, I met up with a Valleys man (S.Wales) who emigrated to Australia.What they don't get, so often, are the fantastic rotating supercells that develop over the US Plains so that's why he travelled to the US for April > June season.. He lived in Melbourne. One year a family (Mom,dad,daughter and son-in-law) travelled from Perth, WA.

Nearly every afternoon from September to March, a thunderstorm develops over the Tiwi Islands off northern Australia. It's called Hector and develps at 3.00pm every day,March to September. They say you can set your watch by it. https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/dec/13/weatherwatch-australia-storm-hector-tiwi-islands

Last edited:
Reactions: nog
Many of the British I talk to living in France say the south is now too hot in summer at 40+ and some have moved to Brittany to escape.

I find it weird that our French house is 500 miles south and yet still gets almost exactly the same weather we do in Oxfordshire.
Maybe due to topography. We have friends who lived in Brittany. Post Brexit they had to return to the UK (Verwood,Dorset) because they never took out citizenship..something like that.I can't recall the name of the small town but one hour's driving directly south of St Malo..not far from Rennes and I loved going there. It's the only time I ever saw the Milky way :) The supermarkets are superb and I enjoyed going to them. Carrefour, E. Leclerc, Intermarché.

I went to the Badlands, South Dakota. The Black Hills you were in are in the west of SD but a different range. I saw several Indian 'reservations'. Absolute poverty. So sad. A number of tribes including Sioux and Cheyenne live there.
We then pushed on to the cave hills, and set up camp, for a few days, we were there to band falcon chicks, for the federal register.

Both guys were master falconers ( there is a different system & grading out there, I was registered as a general)

One guy was a geologist, fascinating stories. He sent me off down effectively what we would call a deer track, and said keep your eyes open.
On a rock there was a big 7 carved in it, it seems that Custer had gone that way, on his way to slaughter.

The other guys' dad was a historian, and would often regale stories of the Dakota tribes.
Very interesting!
And yes I saw a few reservations, trailer parks and rotting cars, that had just been dumped when they broke.

Oh and Sturgess was just being erected when we went through.

Absolutely, just before my Mom passed away in 2015,one of the last things she said to me was "You never wanted to come to England did you " sadly I was only 14 at the time, if I was 2 years older, I would have probably stayed over there,
That's sad. I think..I'm sure ,you'd have had a better quality of life. If you have a trade or profession that they need you could still go. Having said that, unfortunately, Australia seems to be taking the brunt of the extreme consequences of climate change. I appreciate that was then (2015) and this is now but not that long ago, really.. A month or so ago, I heard a lady on the radio (re an NHS debate) say that a university-educated nurse get's almost three times the pay as here, more staff to work with,so less stress and far fewer hours. I enjoy watching the TV programmes that take UK families to Australia and NZ to find a selection homes for them to view and see if they want to stay and 99% do. My nephew is married to an Australian ..well, she was seven when her parents went to live in New Zealand and they live in NZ . Here's a professional commercial photographer and took a tent, one day, into the mountains on South Island to stay overnight to get shots of sunset and sunrise. Before they bought the house they have now (up on a hill overlooking a stretch of inland water..like an estuary,really) they rented a home right on the coast and watched migrating whales passing from the living room. How fantastic.

I expect you saw fantastic lightning storms.September to March time,of course. I think most of the life-threatening creatures live up in the north of the NT,too.... Top End (I think they say) As you see from my post to Cobra I storm-chased in the US..that was far enough at 4000 miles from here to Oklahoma. Yet.. each year, on tour, I met up with a Valleys man (S.Wales) who emigrated to Australia.What they don't get, so often, are the fantastic rotating supercells that develop over the US Plains so that's why he travelled to the US for April > June season.. He lived in Melbourne. One year a family (Mom,dad,daughter and son-in-law) travelled from Perth, WA.

Nearly every afternoon from September to March, a thunderstorm develops over the Tiwi Islands off northern Australia. It's called Hector and develps at 3.00pm every day,March to September. They say you can set your watch by it. https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/dec/13/weatherwatch-australia-storm-hector-tiwi-islands
Yes saw a few storms up there , sometimes had to pull over as high speed on wipers could not cope with the rain. Remember Darwin mainly for the sunsets

We then pushed on to the cave hills, and set up camp, for a few days, we were there to band falcon chicks, for the federal register.

Both guys were master falconers ( there is a different system & grading out there, I was registered as a general)

One guy was a geologist, fascinating stories. He sent me off down effectively what we would call a deer track, and said keep your eyes open.
On a rock there was a big 7 carved in it, it seems that Custer had gone that way, on his way to slaughter.

The other guys' dad was a historian, and would often regale stories of the Dakota tribes.
Very interesting!
And yes I saw a few reservations, trailer parks and rotting cars, that had just been dumped when they broke.

Oh and Sturgess was just being erected when we went through.
A general ? Fantastic :) That's skilled work..ringing/banding .The guy' who owned the stormchasing company called himself the president of it. Lol.

Interesting re Custer.

Sturgess. I had to Google that. The Sturgess Mortorcycle Rally.. I'll bet that's a sight to see with the bikes they have over there...not to mention the bikers...lol.

Re the tribes. I think that's a stain on the modern (as well) history of America that they've allowed the indigenous tribes to get into the state they are. There's what you've mentioned and alcoholism, too. It's been the same in Australia re their indigenous tribes but both countries are now seeing the error of their ways.

Sturgess. I had to Google that. The Sturgess Mortorcycle Rally.. I'll bet that's a sight to see with the bikes they have over there...not to mention the bikers...lol.
Apparently (iirc) its a whole town built for about 2 weeks.
The police surround the place, waiting for them ( the Hells Angels) to leave.
It gets very violent drugs and god knows what...

There's what you've mentioned and alcoholism
One guy I met over dinner, was head of Indian affairs ( liaison ) for NE SD, again very fascinating to listen to.
And it seems it's true, the Sioux particularly, cannot handle fire water.

Apparently (iirc) its a whole town built for about 2 weeks.
The police surround the place, waiting for them ( the Hells Angels) to leave.
It gets very violent drugs and god knows what...

One guy I met over dinner, was head of Indian affairs ( liaison ) for NE SD, again very fascinating to listen to.
And it seems it's true, the Sioux particularly, cannot handle fire water.

I think the 'pioneers' gave them alcohol knowing their tolerance of it was zilch.

2358 ? :eek: Goodnight..lol

The hottest place I've been in for any length of time is Shenzen, southern China, with temperatures usually around 45 degrees. Almost impossible to walk anywhere. I remember that there was a thunderstorm one night, even with good aircon the hotel room was too hot to sleep so I went out for a walk in the torrential rain- disappointing, because the rain was so hot:(
By comparison, the temperatures here are fine. But what I've noticed over the last few days is that my car aircon is killing my fuel economy.

I'm enjoying it, the wife struggles a bit though. Our conservatory comes off our bedroom strangely enough, but great for sleeping as we open the sliding door to the conservatory put the conservatory air con on and it cools the bedroom nicely.

About 20 - 22C is maximum temperature I'd like so at present it is far too hot. However, apart from wanting it to cool what I really want is some rain.

In the last month it has rained twice. Once was so little that the ground under trees did not get wet and the other rain wetted everywhere but the rain wasn't heavy and lasted only about 10 mins, so not a lot of use.

Dave

24C here at the moment, but it seems cool compared to our kitchen, which is South facing and has a four metre long window. I have just been prepping some food for tonight - chicken and white bean cassoulet in a herby tomato sauce - and I reckon it was well over 40C. It has hit 46C on our patio a few years ago.

Funny lot, aren't we?
It wasn't so long ago we were bitching about -10 hard frosts and snow.

Back