Heat.

I'm feeling it more today, it is hotter, the hottest so far I think.

Not a cloud in the sky, blue, wall to wall.

Apparently its 26o down here. Rain due Sunday afternoon for 3 or 4 hours...
I wasn't going to do a BBQ for the kids & grand kids, for fathers day anyway ..

Last edited:
A balmy 24°C up in costal Aberdeenshire, just got to love that cool sea breeze.

There don't seem to be any storms about today either.

Just checked Met Office, it's saying 27 degrees for us here. No rain in the immediate forecast, until possibly Saturday. I will have to get the grass cut whilst it's crispy, much easier that way, especially a garden the size of ours. It won't be getting done until the evening.

33 degrees in my workshop, with the double doors open.

Currently 28.1C in my bedroom with every window and the door wide open in my static home.

Sitting outside which is much cooler.

Currently 28.1C in my bedroom with every window and the door wide open in my static home.

Sitting outside which is much cooler.

Yes, cooler outside than in for us too, in the shade, it's actually quite bearable.

I've just had a thought, this could be a 'Hot Topic'.

:LOL:

Funny lot, aren't we?
It wasn't so long ago we were bitching about -10 hard frosts and snow.
Maybe it's just you Southerners who were bitching about what you call cold weather?
:exit:

Hit 33C again today under our patio-table brolly. A low pressure area has now developed in the Azores and as it spins anti-clockwise it going to throw hot humid ,unstable, air up over Spain and France and on to the UK (for the weekend) caused by, and assisted by, the Jet Stream which has taken a huge dip south into that area and then turned north.

Last edited:
We then pushed on to the cave hills, and set up camp, for a few days, we were there to band falcon chicks, for the federal register.

Both guys were master falconers ( there is a different system & grading out there, I was registered as a general)

One guy was a geologist, fascinating stories. He sent me off down effectively what we would call a deer track, and said keep your eyes open.
On a rock there was a big 7 carved in it, it seems that Custer had gone that way, on his way to slaughter.

The other guys' dad was a historian, and would often regale stories of the Dakota tribes.
Very interesting!
And yes I saw a few reservations, trailer parks and rotting cars, that had just been dumped when they broke.

Oh and Sturgess was just being erected when we went through.
Oh the badlands!

While I'm grateful to be fed, someone cooked a pie in the oven here and my normally cool kitchen is a sweatbox.

we're getting a chippy, no cooking here tonight.
Cold meat and pickles here, one of my favourites, well that and roast beef.
But as its to hot for roast ...

Funny lot, aren't we?
It wasn't so long ago we were bitching about -10 hard frosts and snow.
I complain about the cold, I don't complain about the heat unless it is hotter than me, so a breeze is like opening the door of a fan oven and only makes you even more hot. Heat combined with humidity does make it very hard going though. When I was in Umbria during a heatwave last June (even the locals were saying it was very hot for them) it was generally manageable as the humidity was low so it wasn't oppressive, apart from on one day when it was over 40C and the hot wind was blowing down the narrow streets of the hilltop town. It was a walking holiday so the whole schedule got shifted forward so we left at 8am rather than the more leisurely 9.30-10am starts originally planned.

I had a cold 'fish' salad tonight. Prawns (mayonnaise/tom ketchup mix) pickled herring, smoked mackerel and salad and ciabatta bread. I really like oily fish and a large mackerel used to cost about £2.20 not that long ago and now it's £4.50 albeit excellent quality from the city centre fish market but £4.50 ? I used to live on them when we had holiday in Portugal and in Skiathos,it was sword fish.. Goodness knows what swordfish costs now. 'They' keep telling people to eat fuit,veg and fish as if everyone was on their income. Many,many people just can't afford to buy healthy food. They'll be able to afford a great deal less soon as mortgage deals come to an end and the Bank of England put up interest rates again next Thursday ..possibly by 0.5% to 5%.

I complain about the cold, I don't complain about the heat unless it is hotter than me, so a breeze is like opening the door of a fan oven and only makes you even more hot. Heat combined with humidity does make it very hard going though. When I was in Umbria during a heatwave last June (even the locals were saying it was very hot for them) it was generally manageable as the humidity was low so it wasn't oppressive, apart from on one day when it was over 40C and the hot wind was blowing down the narrow streets of the hilltop town. It was a walking holiday so the whole schedule got shifted forward so we left at 8am rather than the more leisurely 9.30-10am starts originally planned.

We're going to Lake Maggiore in July and the temps are supposed to 27C. Is it near Umbria ?

We're going to Lake Maggiore in July and the temps are supposed to 27C. Is it near Umbria ?
No, the lakes are in the north, Umbria is central. I'd expect it to be hotter than 27C though even so if it's sunny. I've been to Lake Garda twice, and to Milan which is near Lake Maggiore, always at the start of September and 32-33C was typical, on the day of my brother's wedding (the reason we were there the first time) it was over 36C and we were all in suits, for an outdoor ceremony at the top of a tower, unshaded. Would have been manageable but for the obligatory attire, we were all melting :oops: :$

No, the lakes are in the north, Umbria is central. I'd expect it to be hotter than 27C though even so if it's sunny. I've been to Lake Garda twice, and to Milan which is near Lake Maggiore, always at the start of September and 32-33C was typical, on the day of my brother's wedding (the reason we were there the first time) it was over 36C and we were all in suits, for an outdoor ceremony at the top of a tower, unshaded. Would have been manageable but for the obligatory attire, we were all melting :oops: :$

I think it is madnes going out there for a wedding at the hottest time of the year. We went in July to Sorrento, it was 38C in the town and the wedding was at 2:00, it was unbearable.

29C outside atm, a pleasant 21C indoors, I've no air-con just 30" thick walls :).
I do find it odd that we insulate houses to keep the heat in, then when a hot spell arrives we sit and stew.

No respite here for us today, 27 outside and 29 indoors.

Just North of us though, Glasgow is getting quite a big storm and it has gone quite dark here.

I missed the lovely blue sky and sunshine at 7.00am this morning. Sunrise here is 0449.

28 degrees in NW Sutherland (Highlands) today….

I like the warm weather but truly hot and sunny isn't for me as I burn very easily. In Kazakhstan I got heat exhaustion and felt very ill and after 10 days in Thailand my knuckles swelled up and I really suffered. Apart from things that definitely aren't mind over matter I had an interesting experience in a hot and humid Singapore. We were going up their "mountain" as described by my BIL, Bukit Tamah Hill. He was a marathon runner and boasted non stop and kept constantly asking if I was ok and being generally condescending and irritating and when I'd had enough I challenged him to a race to the top. He wouldn't race so I just left him to it and sprinted off. I waited for him at the top and when he got there he looked ready to drop. That mental decision not to fold in the heat seemed to work for me and I got to the top no problem. It also ended his boasting. Just makes me think that a lot of this is in the mind rather than the body.

I seem to be better able to cope with cold and on a winter trip to Kazakstan I amazed the locals by not complaining whilst wearing jeans and a T shirt. -20 odd there didn't feel excessively colder than a cold day back home in the Middlesbrough/Redcar area. My then Kazakh GF thought winter here was bad, she said we have a wet cold which she said feels worse than their dry cold. Dunno if that's true.

It finally broke here yesterday. There were torrential downpours in places nearby and then rain over night for us here. It's freshened things up nicely. I watched a storm over the Firth of Clyde, in between the mainland and Arran, that was pretty cool, if short lived.

I cut our grass on Saturday, just in time. It had begun to cool off on Saturday.

It's starting to warm up again now though, the rain has stopped and it is quite humid.

It finally broke here yesterday. There were torrential downpours in places nearby and then rain over night for us here.
It was a non-event here, it had been forecast all day, 10 mins of rain in the end, it never even wet the path.

It was a non-event here, it had been forecast all day, 10 mins of rain in the end, it never even wet the path.

Much the same here. From my vanatge point yesterday, I could see downpours in places and clear sunny spots, at the same time. I was driving about as well and the roads were soaked in places, yet literally, just up the road was bone dry. The lightning over Arran was pretty cool to watch.

I had to pack up early at the Kingfishers as it was quite a hike back to the car, the rain was just starting. I avoided a soaking though as it stopped quickly.

A very mixed bag.

We had more prolonged rain from about 9pm last night though, until about 4am.

It finally broke here yesterday. There were torrential downpours in places nearby and then rain over night for us here. It's freshened things up nicely. I watched a storm over the Firth of Clyde, in between the mainland and Arran, that was pretty cool, if short lived.

I cut our grass on Saturday, just in time. It had begun to cool off on Saturday.

It's starting to warm up again now though, the rain has stopped and it is quite humid.
i was up around the west of Scotland last week with a couple of mates on the bike, touring round the mull of Kintyre and the Trossachs etc excessive in leathers especially when we were stuck at rest and be thankful in the road works for 20 minutes, il never complain Scotland is cold ever again , saw the rain on the forecast and was glad we missed it though

It was showing 30oC out there when I went out in the car around mid day
Too damned hot for me...

Its supposed to be low 20's from Monday.
That's better.

Exactly, my car even showed 32 for a while earlier. Thankfully a bit of a breeze to help whilst out, but I can't do much in this weather really - too hot to be bothered with photography even if the air wasn't full of haze, and even the ham radio is rubbish because of solar storms (it seems). I think I'll find a rubbish movie to watch in front of the fan with an ice cream.

It's days like this I wish I were in Austria, half way up a nice cool mountain with a bit of cloud to keep the sun off...

Brunschkopf from Krinz bei Seefeld TZ-40 P1020419.JPG

30C here, not comfortable, I may go outside when the Sun shifts position, definitely no gardening today.

I can handle 30°+ on holiday but much over 25 here sees me sitting in as draughty shade as I can find!

I can handle 30°+ on holiday but much over 25 here sees me sitting in as draughty shade as I can find!
Its the damned English humidity :(
As I've noted before 100+ oF ( 38-40 oC) I was fine in a prairie in the USofA
Anything near 25oC here and I'm done.

Reactions: Nod
Mrs Nod was just bringing the lawnmower through to do the front lawn when it started to rain. Not to cut the grass, just to prune the weeds!!!

Mrs Nod was just bringing the lawnmower through to do the front lawn when it started to rain.
Can she bring that here as well?

Rain due here in 11 minutes according to my weather app
grass shaved yesterday

Back