Heat.

A bit meh just now and it's been raining but that has eased off for the moment. Not windy and the sun is peaking through some breaks in the clouds. Currently 8°C.

Last edited:
Alexa gives me weather alerts and today she's given a warning for flooding. It has rained heavily overnight so I'll see what's on the regional news at 6.30pm.. Somerset, next county SW is suffering from crop failure because of incessant rains. The Somerset Levels is home to an abundance of wildlife..birds,waterfowl. Photographers go there and use the hides.

8°-C here at the moment with virtually no wind but raining steadily, and has been since the early hours.
Yep that's pretty much what I have, currently, Its supposed to quit by mid-afternoon. We'll see.

12.5 according to the car, no wind, and its just stopped raining.

Car said 15°C on the way to g*lf but the wind made it feel a fair few degrees cooler. Out of the wind though, I was almost overdressed.

Well it's finally stopped raining here but the wind has got going now with the temperature at 10°-C.

The day continued as it began, meh. Cloudy but stayed dry for most of it. A chilly feeling 8°C since about midday, still is.

At least I shouldn't have to cover the cars.

12oC here, dull and overcast., but dry so far.
There's quite a breeze blowing, but at least its not a cold one.

Its still double figures, light breeze and no milk rain today

Quite a bright morning here with a partly cloudy sky, 10°-C with only a slight wind.

11oC Light wind, and high light cloud. Its almost pleasant out.

Just popped outside to make a phonecall, there was watery sun and mild temps. Sat in the car, the temperature is apparently 17 degrees (!) but it's just started raining.

Edit.
Looked up the weather for Cussy just now - 18 now, dropping to 3 overnight. Highs of 19 predicted at the weekend, but with cold nights.

Last edited:
12°C and wet.

Apparently its 14oC out there and its trying to rain.

Still raining and it's heavy too. The river is up and we're under a flood warning, although I've never known it to burst it's banks here. Further down river, yes but not here.

I hope the Kingfishers aren't burrowing yet. :oops: :$

6°C.

I hope they are OK and stay safe (y)

I hope they are OK and stay safe (y)

Thanks.

The banking at one of the burrows is quite high but I have seen the river over the banking during winter time. I'll be checking later but not a lot I can do. They suffered last year with a banking collapse.

There are flood defences further down the river and catchment areas that water can be diverted to. One of them is full of water at the moment, to protect towns down stream, something I've never seen. They will release it when the rain eases. The river is raging but only about 4 feet above normal, I've seen it much higher.

We are well protected here, with balancing lakes and flood plains.
So of course hardly anything floods apart from the designated flood plains.

The trouble is MK is expanding exponentially, and builders are getting rather close to these flood plains with their new developments.

A few years ago, a "new houses coming soon" notice appeared in a field, on the outskirts, of MK and close to the River Ouse.
It was a particularly wet winter, that year, and by the end of it, the there was 3 feet of water up the legs of the billboard.
No houses have been built as yet :D

@Nod This was many years ago,
So I guess they have scrubbed that.
But there are still plenty of open flood plains to choose from :rolleyes:

Reactions: Nod
It's ben a lovely day here with a partly cloudy sky and hardly any wind. The temperature is at 10°-C but it has been a bit higher during the day.

Yup, still raining heavily. Just been out back with the dog and I can hear the river raging, it's about 150 metres away. I don't feel worried though, we are at the bottom of the valley but the river is set down in it by about 15 feet, so it would take a lot of water to reach us. At a guess, I'd say we are about 25 feet above the river bed and a lot of fields around at different levels too.

Apart from the rain, it's not stormy or anything like that, not much wind and now 8°C.

10oC and currently not raining,
but according to the weather map, it's pretty imminent.

Just checked the MetOffice, it's to continue raining until around 5am, at its current intensity. At least the river drains quickly into the sea, not that far away.

We have a small waterfall in the village, it's about an 8 foot drop over about 30 feet in length, the river bed is rocky there too, with channels eroded into the rock over the years. I bet that will be spectacular in daylight. I can hear it from the front door but it will be pitch black there now. I may pop down in the morning.

Last edited:
Had something akin to a monsoon an hour or so ago.

We have a brook opposite and the Environment Dept men were there inspecting it this afternoon.. They've kept a close eye on it ever since the floods here in 2007. A friend gave me a ring and told me about the flooding nearer town.Fortunately, we're elevated and didn't have any flooding.

The side of someone's house.It was quite a forceful flow.
128 (128 of 1).jpg

This is amazing. It's a narrow brook, one of two that carries rainfall from the surrounding hills down to the river Severn. It's usually just a "slow babbling brook" but not on this day. Normally, you can stand on the bridge and look down to the level of the water which, of course is normally the same both sides. You can see the level on the far side. It clearly wasn't safe to go on the bridge because it could have given way with that force of water. I stood a way back to take this. My very early days of photography. Infact, I hadn't had my 100-400 + Canon 5D very long. I'd have done things a bit differently now.

127 (127 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
By the way..It was about this time that I took a photo of a young lad ..about 11 or 12..marooned in mud ,up to his knees, in the middle of a lake. He'd gone in after a ball. He was ok..just his pride hurt. People on the bank said that the fire service were en-route and they arrived very soon afterwards. He looked a bit of a rum 'un to me and a lady near to me said it coudn't have happened to a better kid..lol. So, the fire service rolled out lengths of inflatables and two of them crawled out to the kid and dragged him out. I can't recall how this came about but I got an Email from AP news asking if I would send them my photos but were,unfortunately, unable to pay me as they were just a "small news outlet". It had gone into my junk box and I didn't pick it up for a couple of weeks. I hadn't long had my PC (Windows back then) and wasn't familiar with it. Then I was told who AP really were. Just trying it on,I suppose.I recall it because of mentioning my 5d and 100-400 lens in the photos above.

Just had another downpour. The EA are paranoid about the brooks around here. They came in for a lot of criticism re that 2007 flood.

Well, it's still raining. That's over 24 hours now. It's lighter but still wet. :LOL:

A very driech day just now but not windy or noticeably cold. 8°C

The river isn't actually as bad as I'd expected. With the rain actually easing a little overnight, it may have drained the worst of it off by now. I popped out to the mentioned waterfall from last night. There is no doubt it would've been higher last night but it's pitch black there at night, and no point in going to check it out. I could easily hear it from our garden.

I've seen this a lot higher.

View: https://youtu.be/AapLg1XGg9E

....and the weir, just up river.

View: https://youtu.be/vWx_N0k3bpQ

It's certainly not a river I'd expect to see a Kingfisher on today, it's flowing too fast and there's a lot of soil run off in it. I will be checking later on though, I'm hoping it didn't reach any burrows they might have.

Last edited:
It's been raining here on & off all morning so far, the temperature is 11°-C with a light wind.

14oC here, its a bit breezy, quite a bright day, with light high cloud.

Back