weekly Helen C's 52 for 23. Week 52 - Favourite shot of 2023

Not the most interesting theme but it fits the bill and nice mono conversion.

"...finial inspectors..." :LOL:

Nice mono shot, and subtle shadows add interest.

After chasing a few mail boxes that turned out not to be particularly interesting I decided a churchyard would be possible for this theme.
I rather like the play of light and colour on this one..

PW6A2970 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

However, I just realised I've not done the tech yet so, although not a great one it does juxtapose old and new.. and there are letters visible on the new memorial..
Sometimes you just have to tick the box!

PW6A2994 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Nice images and suit the theme and tech well, nicely done

I understand about needing to tick the boxes. I love the light in your first shot, but to shoehorn Juxtaposition into that would be tricky!

I think the first one for the light for me works the best for the theme.

First one for the theme, but tech box ticked on the second.
I much prefer the first.

Lovely lighting in the first one.
I saw the chosen one in the main thread, and I had to look for a few seconds before I saw the juxtaposition. I really like it.

Both boxes ticked nicely IMO Helen.
Nice images and suit the theme and tech well, nicely done
I understand about needing to tick the boxes. I love the light in your first shot, but to shoehorn Juxtaposition into that would be tricky!
I think the first one for the light for me works the best for the theme.
First one for the theme, but tech box ticked on the second.
I much prefer the first.
Lovely lighting in the first one.
I saw the chosen one in the main thread, and I had to look for a few seconds before I saw the juxtaposition. I really like it.
Nice shots Helen, definitely ticks the box!
Box nicely ticked Helen. The light on the first is lovely.
I agree about the first one... needs must etc. Thanks again for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

I have to admit defeat in trying to find a landscape shot to fit the theme this week... have exhausted the possibilities of kitchen gardens etc :) .
Last minute kitchen shoot.. this star gazing hare, made by a local blacksmith, has been hanging somewhere in the kitchen since I moved into this house many years ago!

PW6A3008 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

That's a lovely thing to have in your kitchen and a lovely image of it, I think the composition of having it at an angle works better than it may have done 'head on'

It's a thing - a nice thing :)

Lovely thing (y) and if its in the kitchen it fits the theme , is it moon gazing though

Getting some comment catch-up in!!

Transparent - A really atmospheric shot, did you try different shutter speeds, how long is this.

Snappers Choice - It's a stand out image in more ways than one.

Knob - Interesting light catching the post.

Letters - The level of skill to create a detailed structure like this is unimaginable especially when tradesmen would not have access to the hardware available nowadays. The lighting works well accentuating the image.

Kitchen - Either it's a very small tree or the worlds largest hare!

Kitchen pushed me well out of my comfort zone so understand your feeling. Think the image you produced fits the theme, well lit and from a nice POV.

as said, the slight angle really helps, nicely taken to catch the subtle 'dimpled' texture from the paint

That's beautiful. It's so nice that I'm finding it difficult to comment on the photo itself, which means that the photo is great.

Skilfully made by the looks of it, nice one for getting a shot in.
Sometimes you just need to get a shot done. It's a beautiful object.
That's a lovely thing to have in your kitchen and a lovely image of it, I think the composition of having it at an angle works better than it may have done 'head on'
It's a thing - a nice thing :)
Lovely thing (y) and if its in the kitchen it fits the theme , is it moon gazing though
@nog Thanks, I like to think he is moon gazing... Than
Getting some comment catch-up in!!

Transparent - A really atmospheric shot, did you try different shutter speeds, how long is this.

Snappers Choice - It's a stand out image in more ways than one.

Knob - Interesting light catching the post.

Letters - The level of skill to create a detailed structure like this is unimaginable especially when tradesmen would not have access to the hardware available nowadays. The lighting works well accentuating the image.

Kitchen - Either it's a very small tree or the worlds largest hare!
Kitchen pushed me well out of my comfort zone so understand your feeling. Think the image you produced fits the theme, well lit and from a nice POV.
as said, the slight angle really helps, nicely taken to catch the subtle 'dimpled' texture from the paint
That's beautiful. It's so nice that I'm finding it difficult to comment on the photo itself, which means that the photo is great.

Thanks again for stopping by and taking time to comment. It's always much appreciated.

As soon as I saw the theme I had an idea for a place I've not visited for a while. Headed out this morning in the mizzle - and was it cold on the riverbank!!! This boat is more broken every time I see it. Tech ticked too (not a hard one for me).

PW6A3019 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

That certainly is a broken boat! Such a shame.

Nice B&W image.

Like that, can almost see a face in the prow of the boat. Bold square crop but works nicely.

Mmmmmm lovely mono on the owd boat :)

Great find and good shot with mono conversion.

I like the balance of foreground, subject and background.
Good B/W conversion Helen.
A very good shot IMO.

That certainly is a broken boat! Such a shame.

Nice B&W image.
Like that, can almost see a face in the prow of the boat. Bold square crop but works nicely.
Mmmmmm lovely mono on the owd boat :)
Nicely done, I like the ratio of the image crop.
Great find and good shot with mono conversion.
Lovely shot Helen. That mud looks a bit yucky!
I like the balance of foreground, subject and background.
Good B/W conversion Helen.
A very good shot IMO.
A beautiful shot Helen.
Lovely broken boat shot Helen and nicely post processed as always (y)
Thanks once again for your kind comments. We have quite a few boat "graveyards" on the coast and they do make fascinating subjects.

Suits the theme and B&W works well, can't remember where but abandoned boats are quite a problem in some areas with the fibreglass breaking down. Suspect not much fibreglass on the boat pictured though

For the past weeks I have often seen this out of my bedroom window... the beech (edit) hazel tree opposite in the morning sun - I've never seen it so full of catkins before and they seem to glow in the light.

PW6A3029-2 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back