HelenC's 52 for 2021 - Week 52: Showcase - critique welcome

That works well Helen. I haven’t tried HDR on my R5 yet. The natural does look natural too!
Thanks @Bebop. I tried a few different shots and the natural setting on the R5 looks better than some HDR shots I've seen. I might try a later "manual" stack and merge as I feel I've cheated on the tech by using the R5 process and haven't really gone through a learning curve ;)

Looking down
The hdr has worked quite well there.
I like the symmetry and the neutral tones.

I think I would have been criminally tempted to remove the dead flower to make the image perfect. Really like the square composition and the lovely colour. Would have been easy to over-pop the poppy... (gah!)

A nice simple images Helen (y)

I think I would have been criminally tempted to remove the dead flower to make the image perfect. Really like the square composition and the lovely colour. Would have been easy to over-pop the poppy... (gah!)

Yep that ^^^^ :)

Beautiful image Helen, too bad the dead bloom was in the way.

A nice simple images Helen (y)
Very nice Helen. I agree the square crop suits it.
Beautiful image Helen, too bad the dead bloom was in the way.
Very nice Helen. I agree the square crop suits it.
Yep that ^^^^ :)
Thanks for the comments folks.. apart from the crop I didn't edit at all as I like the muted colour straight out of the camera. It must be only me that rather likes the dead bloom as much as the blooming one and the seed heads! Maybe I'm just weird :D

I like the scene, though I think I might have tried to get a viewpoint that wouldn't have anything intersecting the poppy.

I think all the colours work really well together the poppy certainly stands out. I didn't spot the dead flower at first until I read the comments.

I hear the squeak squeak of a shoehorn...
Running out of time this week but did have a workshop yesterday on the Norfolk coast. Clear blue sky so tried some infrared in the field planted with barley around Happisburgh lighthouse.

DSCF1691 by Helen Cannon

I'd say that was more than a squeak Helen :D

But nicely presented (y)

Plant
There's plants, I can see them. Good contrast between the sky and crop. The lighthouse is well placed too.

Plenty of plants and the added bonus of a lighthouse, nice unusual composition.

That's a beautiful image Helen. I like everything about it.

Fantastic image! Love the infrared, composition...everything (y)

I like it. The infrared looks really good especially with the dark black sky against the light foreground :)

I'd say that was more than a squeak Helen :D

But nicely presented (y)
I see plants - no shoehorn in my opinion. Nice IR.
Plant
There's plants, I can see them. Good contrast between the sky and crop. The lighthouse is well placed too.
Plenty of plants and the added bonus of a lighthouse, nice unusual composition.
That's a beautiful image Helen. I like everything about it.
Fantastic image! Love the infrared, composition...everything (y)
No horned shoes needed in this shot Helen, plenty of plant life to see.
Also nice to see a bit of IR shooting.
I like it. The infrared looks really good especially with the dark black sky against the light foreground :)

Thanks for the positive comments and for dropping by. I'm quite enjoying the IR conversion - trying not to get obsessed with it when the sun is shining :geek:

I thought of these straight away - you can see them from miles away. However, the sky wasn't inspiring and I intended to go back on a more dramatic day. Unfortunately that day hasn't occurred so I'm going with my first attempt.

PW6A6324 by Helen Cannon

Good theme take. They're everywhere! There's a horror movie in there somewhere.

Nice take on the theme they certainly dominate the landscape sometimes

Great for the theme. I like the contrast of the drab sky with the golden crop (cereal crop I mean - not golden ratio or anything clever!). I had a similar idea and photographed a local mast, but I couldn't get the composition to work for me.

They're certainly dominating. They're everywhere these days! Nice shot.

Dominating
The low point of view really helps to show the dominating wind turbines.

Good theme take. They're everywhere! There's a horror movie in there somewhere.
Nice take on the theme they certainly dominate the landscape sometimes
Love your choice of angle and how you've obscured one behind the wheat.
it adds interest and thought into shat could have been a grab shot.
Great for the theme. I like the contrast of the drab sky with the golden crop (cereal crop I mean - not golden ratio or anything clever!). I had a similar idea and photographed a local mast, but I couldn't get the composition to work for me.
They're certainly dominating. They're everywhere these days! Nice shot.
Dominating
The low point of view really helps to show the dominating wind turbines.
Thanks for the kind comments folks.

Late for me this week. I had guests staying for the first time in nearly two years - and they slightly overstayed... Peace and harmony reign once more and a quick grab shot from a walk down my local footpath.

PW6A6436 by Helen Cannon

Nice leading lines through the image Helen. Is this HDR? I was trying to get dappled light in my local woods with HDR and the sun kept going in :)

Looks a lovely peaceful spot for a walk.

As the last few aren't marked, I'll comment on them as shots rather than for themes.

Lighthouse - love it. I do like the ethereal nature of infra-red and the composition works really well.

Wind Turbine - I take it this is for Dominating, in which case the theme works. I also love the low angle as it helps not only with the theme but giving us an interesting viewpoint.

Snapper's choice - I think that some of the beauty of the compositions that worked so well in the two shots above could have been used here. Maybe a lower angle, or a higher angle or something in the foreground to add another element of interest.

Nice leading lines through the image Helen. Is this HDR? I was trying to get dappled light in my local woods with HDR and the sun kept going in :)

Looks a lovely peaceful spot for a walk.
Thanks @Bebop - it was a single shot straight out of the camera. I think the R5 has to take the credit... its such a good camera!
My kind of place for a walk, a nice grab shot
It’s a lovely tranquil picture you have there. Very peaceful.
As the last few aren't marked, I'll comment on them as shots rather than for themes.

Lighthouse - love it. I do like the ethereal nature of infra-red and the composition works really well.

Wind Turbine - I take it this is for Dominating, in which case the theme works. I also love the low angle as it helps not only with the theme but giving us an interesting viewpoint.

Snapper's choice - I think that some of the beauty of the compositions that worked so well in the two shots above could have been used here. Maybe a lower angle, or a higher angle or something in the foreground to add another element of interest.
Thanks for the kind comments folks.

Hands... I remembered seeing this sculpture some time ago so headed south to capture it. Unfortunately in between heavy downpours so mono conversion seemed the way to go given the lack of interesting light.

PW6A6467 by Helen Cannon

Nice shot. Looks very similar to the big face in the centre of Wigan by Rick Kirby!

Back