HelenC's 52 for 2021 - Week 52: Showcase - critique welcome

Love the landscape shot. The land at the top actually makes sense to me - the lines from the rocks in the foreground point to it, so I think it's right to be there - compositionally

I also really like the feel of the unnatural shot. I'm pretty sure the definition I read said it was either a lens disconnected from your camera - or another lens put in front.

This might be the answer - it's for the RP
View: https://youtu.be/22dkFEu3rYA

Magnifying glasses have been deemed to count for free lensing (especially as some of our group are using fixed lens cameras).

I think that works quite well, and is different to the others I've seen so far where the focus is on the image inside the magnifying glass, rather than outside of it.

Unnatural
The colours look good. The technique is a hard one to master.

Am doing a bit of a catch up as I have been away but it was taken last week. The Natural end to the day...sitting on the deck of our holiday let - G&T in one hand and remote in the other :LOL:

PW6A6807 by Helen Cannon

Last edited:
A lovely scene and very fortunate to be able to stay somewhere where it's there every day! That end-of-day light is beautiful.

Autumn - I think that works well. I like the way you've captured the same greens and oranges, but have them both in focus and very OOF. There are two distinct layers to the shot.
Door(s) - For some reason it isn't showing on my laptop and I had to go through to Flickr. Well shot, plenty of texture and because I clicked through, I now know you have an R5 !!! Is the Eye AF as good as it's reputed to be?
Architecture - Remnants of a Pier? if so, B&W works well for it as it emphasises the dilapidated state.

Door: It's a door, but for me it hasn't decided what it wants to be. It's too far away to see the texture in the wood, too close to see the door in context. As LC2 says, there is no picture but for the link to Flickr.

Autumn: Nice colours, looks like one of those 'magic eye' pictures and I keep trying to see something else in it.

I have to go with Architecture as my favourite here; stark, simplistic, uncluttered, with a simple line between sea and sky. Very good.

Last edited:
Nice minimalistic sea things!

Autumn - I think that works well. I like the way you've captured the same greens and oranges, but have them both in focus and very OOF. There are two distinct layers to the shot.
Door(s) - For some reason it isn't showing on my laptop and I had to go through to Flickr. Well shot, plenty of texture and because I clicked through, I now know you have an R5 !!! Is the Eye AF as good as it's reputed to be?
Architecture - Remnants of a Pier? if so, B&W works well for it as it emphasises the dilapidated state.
Door: It's a door, but for me it hasn't decided what it wants to be. It's too far away to see the texture in the wood, too close to see the door in context. As LC2 says, there is no picture but for the link to Flickr.

Autumn: Nice colours, looks like one of those 'magic eye' pictures and I keep trying to see something else in it.

I have to go with Architecture as my favourite here; stark, simplistic, uncluttered, with a simple line between sea and sky. Very good.
Nice minimalistic sea things!

Thanks for the comments.
I'm not sure what the problem is with the door pic... if I go to edit the post it shows up in the preview and vanishes when I click "Save".
The sea structures are actually cooling towers at Sizewell nuclear power station... very popular for long exposure photography round here.

@LC2 I can't really comment on the Eye AF on the R5 as I don't tend to shoot things that move so its a bit wasted on me :D . I upgraded from a 10 year old 5D2 so all I can say is that it's a fantastic camera in comparison with the old model. I'll have to try it out on the cat and get back to you.

The sea structures are actually cooling towers at Sizewell nuclear power station... very popular for long exposure photography round here.
Wow, I really thought that was a long exposure seascape.
@LC2 I can't really comment on the Eye AF on the R5 as I don't tend to shoot things that move so its a bit wasted on me :D . I upgraded from a 10 year old 5D2 so all I can say is that it's a fantastic camera in comparison with the old model. I'll have to try it out on the cat and get back to you.
You'll have to come out with us shooting the models in London one Saturday to try out the Eye AF.
Whilst I really don't want to go back to big cameras and lenses, the Fooj Eye AF struggles when there is a lot of make-up, which is a pain for models and cosplay - my main subjects D'oh.
So I could be tempted by an R6 which uses the same AF, as it's a bit smaller (still the same h00g lenses though :( )

Hi Helen

Nice colours in the sunset image, also in the autumn one and the lack of colours works for the cooling intakes at Sizewell.

Pete

After days of flat grey and miserable skies we've had a brief window of sunshine so a cheery red boat in the sun at Dunwich. Say Hi to Thelma...

PW6A7386 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Nice and simple I like it.

Nice boat shot, sky looks a tad dark to me.

Nice empty shot the red and blue go well together
Lovely simple picture definitely hit the theme there.
I like that!
Nice and simple I like it.
Lovely uncluttered, clear shot, right on theme!
Nice boat shot, sky looks a tad dark to me.
Thanks for the comments folks. @robj20 you're right... I had a .9 grad on from a previous shot so it did overcook the sky.

Architecture is a beautiful image. Serene & peaceful. Really nice indeed.

Red is great too. The contrast against that lovely blue sky works really well.

Architecture - fantastic! that is a WexMondays kind of image, really nicely captured and great use of the long exposure.

Red - Lovely image and great use of negative space, it really gives it a sense of scale.

Architecture is a beautiful image. Serene & peaceful. Really nice indeed.

Red is great too. The contrast against that lovely blue sky works really well.
Love both the architecture shot and the 'RED' themed boat.

But the architecture nudges it for me. It's awesome.
Architecture - fantastic! that is a WexMondays kind of image, really nicely captured and great use of the long exposure.

Red - Lovely image and great use of negative space, it really gives it a sense of scale.
Thanks for the kind comments. I have loads of shots taken of the towers at Sizewell but still enjoy shooting there - and every time it is different.

I really like your chosen image. Timeless and elegant, and yes, irregular.

Both images are really nice. I also saw some irregular cloud formations yesterday but got home too late to make anything of them. Both images are good for the theme.

I think you chose the right one, although both shots are good. I like the line of the fence/path making me wonder what's over the crest....

Gorgeous chosen shot. Looks really windswept. In the second one, I love that if you follow the cloud front you reach the vessel at sea too.

Hi Helen

Nice Fence, good spread of Tones in the B&W conversion.

The 2nd shot, the cloud formation is great and having Sizewell in the distance shows scale

Both nicely done

Pete

I really like your chosen image. Timeless and elegant, and yes, irregular.
Both images are really nice. I also saw some irregular cloud formations yesterday but got home too late to make anything of them. Both images are good for the theme.
I think you chose the right one, although both shots are good. I like the line of the fence/path making me wonder what's over the crest....
As it's half term over the crest were hoards of families dangling their crab lines in the creeks :D

Gorgeous chosen shot. Looks really windswept. In the second one, I love that if you follow the cloud front you reach the vessel at sea too.
Lovely shot of the fence but both are very good
Hi Helen

Nice Fence, good spread of Tones in the B&W conversion.

The 2nd shot, the cloud formation is great and having Sizewell in the distance shows scale

Both nicely done

Pete
I really like the picture you’ve chosen. Quite dramatic in its own way.

Thanks for the great comments guys.

Absolutely a double whammy there Helen :)

Back