Hellooooo yummy Bokeh.....50mm 1.8

These are fantastic, well done - was this just outdoors with natural light only? The catchlight in No 6 looks like a large rectangular light source with you standing in front of it?

Absolutely lovely series of shots - helped by a very photogenic model! I recently got a nifty fifty too and I can't believe how much enjoyment I've had with it for the price. Lucky you persevered - it was worth it.

Very nice photos, i recieved my 50mm 1.8 yesterday hope i can produce images this nice. Do you know what settings you used? ;)

#3 for me on the composition, just slight question over the focus as it's not quite on the eyes. Excellent shots and use of DoF.

What do they say, never work with animals or children . . . :LOL: great images, its the eyes . . . (y)

CJS

Makes me want to go and have a play with my 50mm :)

Cracking shots :clap: I just sold a 50mm f/1.8D because i just couldn't use it. I have a D60 and trying to nail manual focus whilst photographing kids was just a killer.I've got a 35mm and love it but when I can justify the price i may get the 50mm f/1.4G and beg you for a tutorial on how to use it :LOL::help::D

Oh wow great shots. How much would a lens like this set one back?

There have been a couple in the classifieds going for between £60-£80 Can't really argue with that. Brill value for money

Thank you so much every one

To answer some questions
All natural light with a reflector
I have done no sharpening apart from sharpen for web because they look tack sharp in ps and i didn't want them too crispy

I got this lens for £60 off ebay 2 years ago

data for 1st shot

F1.8 SS1/320 ISO 100

They're all very nice Sarah, but i like the last one alot! lovely natural smile!

This has made me think that i need to use my 50mm much more!! :cool:

Sarah, as portraits go these are beautiful, well taken, well composed and well exposed. Your little boy is gorgeous and the girls will fall all over themselves to get hold of him in years to come :)

But am I the only one who thinks the bokey is far from yummy??

Going against the grain as usual but I have to say it as I see it. Sorry.

Superb shots of your little boy there Sarah, I love my 50 1.8 your shots really do show what can be done when you know what you are at. Superb.

Clarke

Gorgeous shots of a gorgeous boy. The bokeh in no 3 is insane!

I fell in love with my 50mm when I got it and used it 95% of the time. Now I favour my 30mm as the extra width is useful for more than one person, especially indoors. Once you experience the joys of the extra aperture there's no going back.

but to me none of them look sharp, i'm not sure if it's how they've been saved/resized but they all have a kind of mushyness to them, is it just my eyes ??

I agree. Looks like compression artifacts.

Great pictures anyway!

really well taken... the eyes on the last image are crystal! wonder if i can get this kind of result with the 1.8 on my 550d.. damn crop lol

Beautiful shots. I haven't had time to read through all 3 pages, but was there much PP done on these?

I like the composition of the shots, and then 3-D affect caused by the background blur on all of them. But I just don't like the bokeh produced by the 5 blade aperture, it just seems so harsh.

Great shots though, and well done!

I like the composition of the shots, and then 3-D affect caused by the background blur on all of them. But I just don't like the bokeh produced by the 5 blade aperture, it just seems so harsh.

Great shots though, and well done!

I was wondering if anyone would see that bokek the same way i do.

Seriously, shoot similar pictures with the 85 1.4 or the 200 2 and you'll realise the reality of the quality of bokeh.

Don't get me wrong, these ARE lovely portraits but the bokeh really isn't yummy.

Sorry

The bokeh might not be up to the 85mm F1.4, but that's only a photographers eye looking at them - any client being shown these would be blown away, and part with serious coins of the realm to get them from you....

As i don't have the money for a 1.4 i will stick to this for now as Derek said no client will see the difference!
But if i ever do come into some money then yes i would kill for a 1.4

Back