Hellooooo yummy Bokeh.....50mm 1.8

great set, I am just buying f1.8 prime, and I cant wait, dof in your photos is excellent

Thank you so much

They are just brilliant!! Absolutely stunningly gorgeous ;)

The model is such a sweet little dot, and that bokeh is right on the money!

Absolutely fantastic portraits! (y)

wow a great set I like them all!!

I keep looking at 50mm f1.8 and f1.4 I realy must buy one soon, It seams very sharp even wide open.

fantastic pics

Great pics! Also love your website you have a great style about your photography. Good work!

Your child has THE most fabulous eyes, enhanced by the glorious bokeh. Fab shots!

Hi, Sarah, I have to agree I have the same lens and it's a stunner for the price...:)

Really like the photographs, and she's a really pretty girl with loads of emotions in her face.

For me, #5 really stands out - such a quizzical look...(y)

Cheers.

Really like the photographs, and she's [HE's] a really pretty [HANDSOME] girl [BOY] with loads of emotions in her [HIS] face.

:)

Last edited:
wow, gorgeous. Need to try and get these kind of results with mine. Consider me inspired

fantastic shots! loving the sharpness of the foreground. I really need to get myself a prime very soon :) the bokeh is luuurvly (there's no "r" in Bokeh for future reference BTW :geek:)

well done! :clap:

Just in cas anybody id interested

Bokeh

In photography, bokeh (Japanese pronunciation: [boke][1][2]) is the blur,[3][2] or the aesthetic quality of the blur,[4][5][6] in out-of-focus areas of an image, or "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light."[7] Differences in lens aberrations and aperture shape cause some lens designs to blur the image in a way that is pleasing to the eye, while others produce blurring that is unpleasant or distracting—"good" and "bad" bokeh, respectively.[3] Bokeh occurs for parts of the scene that lie outside the depth of field. Photographers sometimes deliberately use a shallow focus technique to create images with prominent out-of-focus regions.

Bokeh is often most visible around small background highlights, such as specular reflections and light sources, which is why it is often associated with such areas.[3] However, bokeh is not limited to highlights; blur occurs in all out-of-focus regions of the image.

Oh my!!! <snip>

ohhhhhhhhh my I think I may be in love.

Just so's you know Sarah, I hold you entirely responsible for ensuring that my Saturday afternoon in the garden was the very best EVER EVER EVER as I got a 50mm yesterday after seeing your shots... and I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS LENS!

yummy bokeh for sure! ;)

Your fault, entirely your fault... anddddddddd... thanku! :D

a lovely set which just shows what this lens is capable of. I literally got mine last weekend and it has only been off the camera for a couple of hours whilst I chased some buzzards round a field.

Although the bokeh isn't as smooth as what it might be from a much more expensive lens (I have both a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4), I can't imagine most clients are going to give a hoot when presented with shots like these.

Looks like there's too much JPG compression going on which is causing the blockiness.

Last edited:
Are those lights in the background in Pic 3 ?
it also looks like it could be sparkling gold coins being thrown in the air.

Awesome. Pretty model and Lovely set. I especially like the #3.
Love the whole set.

Really lovely shots, my fav is no6 in the second lot. Wow you must be proud of him, what a cutie, i too have not quite used my 50m enough. The colours are really nice, especially the skin tones.

Lovely photos, he is an absolutely stunning looking child.
How long ago did you get your 50mm? My first copy was tack sharp but got smashed by my son, and I never loved the replacement. I eventually sold it. But I have heard of others saying the newer copies are definitely not as good as older ones.

H x

I was wondering if anyone would see that bokek the same way i do.

Seriously, shoot similar pictures with the 85 1.4 or the 200 2 and you'll realise the reality of the quality of bokeh.

Don't get me wrong, these ARE lovely portraits but the bokeh really isn't yummy.

Sorry

I thought you were mad when i fist read this the bokeh is smooth and really yummy but last night i was at my mums and looking on her computer and it looks horrid all blocky pixels reall really rubbish and believe me if the pics really looked like that i would have never have posted them. What has made them look like that? if you go to my blog they look ok please tell me what you see there i may re save for web and post another on here see if you can see if it looks any different because i am back on my computer now and i just don't see it!

http://www.sarahwilkesphotography.com/blog/

Sarah - could you post a few SOOC's to see what it looks like before any editing? The bokeh here is typical of the 50mm 1.8 - I sold that lens a few years ago for the 1.4

I thought you were mad when i fist read this the bokeh is smooth and really yummy but last night i was at my mums and looking on her computer and it looks horrid all blocky pixels reall really rubbish and believe me if the pics really looked like that i would have never have posted them. What has made them look like that? if you go to my blog they look ok please tell me what you see there i may re save for web and post another on here see if you can see if it looks any different because i am back on my computer now and i just don't see it!

http://www.sarahwilkesphotography.com/blog/

I've just compared one of the photos above with the corresponding photo on your blog and there is a difference. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the blockiness appears to be due to JPG compression. This is in the version hosted at tinypic.com. It could have also been resized by tinypic unless you've done that yourself prior to uploading it there. The version which you're hosting on your own website looks fine.

To put them side-by-side, I'll have to hotlink to the image on your blog...

Tinypic version

1112vk5.jpg

Your blog version

Dan-garden-3-copy.jpg

They are not the same file. If you uploaded the same file to tinypic then they could have applied the resizing and additional compression on their end.

[edit]You can really see the image degradation as JPG artifacts around the nostrils and mouth[/edit]

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning set Sarah!
I'd be prepared to travel from just south of Lincoln if you could show me how to manage that image quality.

Sure Paul no problem ( just sent my camera for repair though boohoo)

Will why do i see no difference on MY computer?
Yes i resize in PS i don't normally let tinypic do it. My blog ones are always sized larger than my forum sized ones

Hey Sarah - I can see a difference on the 2 pics posted above... the second one is smoother... not sure of the technical name there - I can see it mainly in the black above your writing... the top one is blacker... not so smooth...

<but I really have to look closely - unless the two are seen together, I would not have notice a difference)

I still think they both look yummy tho! ;)

My eyes must be totally pooped, as I can't see any difference at all between the two images.... :shrug:

I can see the difference clearly, the tinypic image is awful, loads of artifacts all over it!

For future reference, don't use them to upload images - They're obviously compressing the images to save on bandwidth, at the cost of the image quality.

They are lovely photos though, when they're not being badly compressed (y)

Absolutely fantastic shots and also love your logo works great well done.

Back