Hellooooo yummy Bokeh.....50mm 1.8

Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
No
Oh my!!! I have been saying i hate hate the 50mm 1.8 for the last 2 years! Could never get focus with that darn thing! Well I decided to give it another whirl ohhhhhhhhh my I think I may be in love. It must have been because I had no idea what I was doing 2 years ago and could not master 1.8 but now hellooooo yummy Bokeh where have you been all my life!

1112vk5.jpg

2i6i0qb.jpg

10mqyhs.jpg

nd29ok.jpg

ztgkdx.jpg

2hnw4dc.jpg

Last edited:
fantastic shots! loving the sharpness of the foreground. I really need to get myself a prime very soon :) the bokeh is luuurvly!!!

well done! :clap:

Last edited:
I really like all of these, but no.4 is my favourite.

Either way she looks lovely in all of them.

Wonderful set Sarah. Such a photogenic child too! Every single shot nailed. (y)

You are lucky you have a chid that will stand still enough to be photographed:)

Very nice set, Sarah, you have definitely mastered the use of the wide open lens, congratulations.

Numbers 1 & 4 for me, and I love the pp on them, just perfect.

It is a wonderful lens, especially on the 5d II, I love mine. A beautiful set of photos, Sarah, well done :)

OH DEAR! now you've started something... I remember my first 50mm f1.8, ended up spending a fortune....lol

excellent shots, some of the nicest outdoor kid shots I'v seen in a while, kudos to you.

I wouldn't mind getting a 50mm f1.8 again if these are the kind of results you can get. I've had a f1.8 and a f1.4 but I never really got to grips with the 50mm focal length but I did mainly use it indoors. I'm really tempted to get another and have a go with some more outdoor portraits like these.

Lovely shots all of them!!

Sold my 50mm 6 months ago. Gonna get another. Fab set, well done. Love them.

Sarah, if you like this wide open you simply have to upgrade to the f1.4. It's way sharper and the bokeh is much nicer. It's criminal not to on a 5DII. :)

What a stunning set.
I try and try to get nice results wide open,but never come anywhere close to this.
At one point i was convinced the AF wasnt working properly,as focus always seemed just a tiny bit off. :D
Very,very nice shots. (y)

Thank you so so much everyone BTW 'she' is a 'HE' my SON Daniel ha-ha! the only way i could get pics of him was because he was sitting on a high stool he could not get down from lol
I only was experimenting to see why everyone raved about this lens so much as the last time i used it i got maybe 1 pic in 100 in focus! So blew off the dust and had a go NEVER expecting to get these so i am quite please!

woo hoo... absolutely nailed those there Sarah.

so, that's 2 new things you've done here...

1. mastered the 50mm
2. created a new word... 'brokeh'.. i think this should be applied when people don't nail the shot :D

These are really great, I've just got myself a 50mm 1.8 and hope I get something close to these!

Now i want one after seeing your portraits, lovely Bokeh for a lens under £100 (y)

Great shots.

So have you been trying something differen to what you were doing before? Or was it a case of leave it and try later and it all just came together?

Ok, i will be the one to ask then.
Where is that pixelation coming from in the first 2?
Its in thebackground but not on the main subject and it doesent appear in the third anywhere.

Third one is fantastic, but the first 2 with that pixelation are not for me im afraid.

I'm sorry I couldn't see the bokeh because there was a stunning little girl in the way. What a little cracker! She's going to be a heartbreaker when she grows up. You must be very proud!

Ok, i will be the one to ask then.
Where is that pixelation coming from in the first 2?
Its in thebackground but not on the main subject and it doesent appear in the third anywhere.

Third one is fantastic, but the first 2 with that pixelation are not for me im afraid.

Hmmm i have no idea but i could probably get rid of it i am afraid the 1st 2 are my favourite i don't mind that pixalation not certain that is what it is though is it just digital noise that you get when you shoot RAW? I actually kind of like it lol

bass_junkie83 said:
Great shots.

So have you been trying something differen to what you were doing before? Or was it a case of leave it and try later and it all just came together?

No idea i think i am just more experienced i had no idea what i was doing with a camera 2 years ago lol

How were these lit? Did you use flash? I can't seem to get the exif from each pic so can't check settings. Nice shots. Were you using center point focus and what metering? I ask for such details as I also own this lens and have attempted similar before with 50/50 results. Sometimes the focus seems off with this lens and I swear it front focuses a tad sometimes.

amazing shots!

I really need to get my old 50mm out again, manual focus only with it though. really should upgrade to a new 50mm 1.8 as mine is 30-40 years old now and I am sure the quality difference is immense!

Sarah, if you like this wide open you simply have to upgrade to the f1.4. It's way sharper and the bokeh is much nicer. It's criminal not to on a 5DII. :)

I've owned both the f/1.4 and f/1.8 and sold the f/1.4 as I simply could not detect a noticable image quality improvement. Definitely not enough to warrant 4 times the cost of the nifty fifty. Granted, it has more reliable, accurate, faster and quieter focus, better built and FTM however. The bokeh everybody raves about being amazing on the f/1.4, but I also feel the f/1.8 can be great, as per above set. :)

in terms of photographs, these are lovely. nice compositions and nice tones.

but to me none of them look sharp, i'm not sure if it's how they've been saved/resized but they all have a kind of mushyness to them, is it just my eyes ??

Look pretty good to me, maybe now you mention it they could use a slight unsharp mask boost?

Back