High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Sorry I can't help you there Gary, but I hope someone comes along who can give you the advice you need!

Hi everyone

Are there any Panny FZ2000 users out there. I 'm thinking of adding one to my bag for video use and having spent 2 hrs watching youtube videos and trawling the net I still can't find the answers to a few questions I have. I would like to know if the camera has a sleep mode and what happens when you bring it back out of sleep. I have a Panny VX870 4K camcorder at the minute that goes to sleep when I flip the screen back in. When I open it back up it remembers the settings I had set. Most importantly it starts back up at the exact same zoom setting as previous. I'm trying to find out if the FZ2000 also goes straight to the last zoom setting. I t would be a deal breaker for me if you had to reset the zoom again.

cheers
Gary

The FZ1000 has the zoom memory function, so the 2000 definitely will. I am loving my FZ1000. Highly rated!

A few from a trip to the zoo yesterday, first outing! Needless to say - massively impressed. The jaguar shot is at 2500 ISO - unbelievable. The meerkats kissing is from a 4K photo mode - again great!

IMG_1483433348.114572.jpg
IMG_1483433363.835065.jpg
IMG_1483433377.285924.jpg
IMG_1483433402.888224.jpg

Continuing the wildlife theme

Sparrow_zps6ewxd4uw.jpg

As it's been quiet for a week, something taken in Castle Combe during our recent visit.

DSC01103.jpg

Can anybody's help me with the video shooting on the FZ1000? The manual and various online manuals (incl. Panasonic) all advise that you can shoot at "high speed" frame rate with video. However, when I go into the video options (on the main LCD, using the "quick menu" the only options are MP4 and AVHD format which gives me 4K down to 640p. However, the max frame rate I can get no matter what the video quality appears to be just 50p (60 FPS). I have gone through the main menu, even ensured the mode dial is on the "motodrive" setting in case this is causing something? I'm heading out tomorrow and would love to be able to experiment with this - so any FZ1000 owners that understand my jobberish - please do help! :)

I have to ask, reason for selling?

Am going back to pentax, K1.
Absolutley nothing wrong with sony, they are the most versatile camera ive ever used, and if you are into video at all this is a fantastic bit of kit, 1000 fps slowmo.
Huge focal range, and sharper than the sigma 50-500mm that i used to have and easier to use.
I just have an itch for FF that i cant seem to shake.

The DL is nonexistent.... I second the fz1000 - hard price to beat!
i was in ron harrisons in sheffield just after christmas and they had a couple of the nikons in stock i even had a play with the shop demo

Can anybody's help me with the video shooting on the FZ1000? The manual and various online manuals (incl. Panasonic) all advise that you can shoot at "high speed" frame rate with video. However, when I go into the video options (on the main LCD, using the "quick menu" the only options are MP4 and AVHD format which gives me 4K down to 640p. However, the max frame rate I can get no matter what the video quality appears to be just 50p (60 FPS). I have gone through the main menu, even ensured the mode dial is on the "motodrive" setting in case this is causing something? I'm heading out tomorrow and would love to be able to experiment with this - so any FZ1000 owners that understand my jobberish - please do help! :)
What SD card are you using? With the RXs, the high frame rates aren't available unless there's a good SDXC card in place.

i was in ron harrisons in sheffield just after christmas and they had a couple of the nikons in stock i even had a play with the shop demo
Gary, I don't know what you did handle but it can't have been any of the Nikon DL range as production models have never been available. The latest rumour is that they'll start to ship in March.

What SD card are you using? With the RXs, the high frame rates aren't available unless there's a good SDXC card in place.

I'm using a Sandisk 64gb card - designed for 4K, I forget the title of it, but it's yellow and was apparently the faster available.

Ah! So at 3.37 in this video it gives the options of choosing from 100FPS to 200"FPS. Yet on mine it only shows as one option, the100 FOS. Can anyone check their FZ1000 and report back if you have a moment? I am so confused with this!

I'm using a Sandisk 64gb card - designed for 4K, I forget the title of it, but it's yellow and was apparently the faster available.
I think that's probably the basic Sandisk Extreme card which has a write speed of 40MB/s. Theoretically that's fast enough but I know my RX10 would get sniffy about it and not offer the higher frame rates. I know this Sandisk card and this one from Integral have high enough write speeds (both 90MB/s) that the camera is happy with them. I have to say that Integral's tech support was first class when I needed it.

I think that's probably the basic Sandisk Extreme card which has a write speed of 40MB/s. Theoretically that's fast enough but I know my RX10 would get sniffy about it and not offer the higher frame rates. I know this Sandisk card and this one from Integral have high enough write speeds (both 90MB/s) that the camera is happy with them. I have to say that Integral's tech support was first class when I needed it.

I will have a look again! See if I can St a faster card, maybe that will help. Cheers!

That is incredible sharpness! I don't think my FZ1000 is anywhere near as good!!
Pretty impressive

Hmm it's actually the "Pixtor" Sandisk memory card with 80MBS displayed on it - I do recall purchasing it as it said it was suitable for 4K. Alas, not the card speed to rule out now..

Hmm it's actually the "Pixtor" Sandisk memory card with 80MBS displayed on it - I do recall purchasing it as it said it was suitable for 4K. Alas, not the card speed to rule out now..
A bit of research shows that Pixtor is a sub-brand created by Sandisk for Best Buy in the USA and not normally sold in the UK. The 80MBS is the read speed and the write will be at most half that.

A bit of research shows that Pixtor is a sub-brand created by Sandisk for Best Buy in the USA and not normally sold in the UK. The 80MBS is the read speed and the write will be at most half that.

I see...!! Interesting, I did purchase off eBay from an apparently reputable seller. Cheers for finding that info!

Okay, 60 MBS is the claimed write speed which should be enough but I don't know whether the FZ1000 is as picky as the RX10s.
On a point of principle, most people here wouldn't buy cards from eBay as there are too many counterfeits on there and the same applies to Amazon Marketplace. The favoured supplier here is www.mymemory.co.uk.

Okay, 60 MBS is the claimed write speed which should be enough but I don't know whether the FZ1000 is as picky as the RX10s.
On a point of principle, most people here wouldn't buy cards from eBay as there are too many counterfeits on there and the same applies to Amazon Marketplace. The favoured supplier here is www.mymemory.co.uk.

Thanks for the link - I have to say, they seem exceptional prices too! 64gb SD card there is only 25! Good find! :)

How do RX10iii users feel the Sony handles birds-in-flight compared to say an Olympus micro4/3rds with their 75-300 zoom? I tried some BIF shots with my E-M5ii and that lens and failed miserably! Would I have managed better with the Sony, or do I just need to brush up my technique a bit (a lot!)?

How do RX10iii users feel the Sony handles birds-in-flight compared to say an Olympus micro4/3rds with their 75-300 zoom? I tried some BIF shots with my E-M5ii and that lens and failed miserably! Would I have managed better with the Sony, or do I just need to brush up my technique a bit (a lot!)?

I can't comment for the Sony, but the FZ1000 (close cousin/Panasonic equivalent) does latch on pretty good when attempting at ducks in flight.

Not something I have tried to be honest but I suspect it would struggle...

I can't comment for the Sony, but the FZ1000 (close cousin/Panasonic equivalent) does latch on pretty good when attempting at ducks in flight.
I found an FZ2000 on display in my local John Lewis and had a quick play with it. It felt very quick to AF at full zoom so maybe it would cope better. It's just that for the same money I could get the Pana-Leica 100-400 lens... hmm...

Back