High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Had a play with the new RX10 111, pretty pleased with this 1st winter Coot.

1st+Winter+Coot

Glad I've found this thread, it looks an interesting read! Having had a quick scan through - is there any one in particular that would be recommended massively over the other? I'm preferably already thinking about the Panasonic as it has a similar style to my V lux and would be a worthwhile upgrade.

im still so undecided rx10mkiii is nearly £1500 the fz1000 is only 600 and just had a look at the nikon dl24-500.

im still so undecided rx10mkiii is nearly £1500 the fz1000 is only 600 and just had a look at the nikon dl24-500.
I had an email from Cameraworld and the RX10 MK3 is £1299 with 32gb card and spare battery. Hope that helps!

I went into Currys this morning - suprisongly wasn't that busy! - and has a look at the Panasonic FZ2000 which appears to be the new update to the fz1000. It doesn't appear to have a great deal of change over the old model, but i did like the ergonomics - the viewfinder was incredible(!) - so I am going to do a bit more reading and have a look on the web for the last model, as I don't think I could justify the changes for the extra few hundred £s.

I went into Currys this morning - suprisongly wasn't that busy! - and has a look at the Panasonic FZ2000 which appears to be the new update to the fz1000. It doesn't appear to have a great deal of change over the old model, but i did like the ergonomics - the viewfinder was incredible(!) - so I am going to do a bit more reading and have a look on the web for the last model, as I don't think I could justify the changes for the extra few hundred £s.

Don't know if my thoughts will help ? I owned the RX10 mk1 when it first came out. I had no complaints and it was a very capable camera. I sold it and purchased a Panasonic FZ1000 as I wanted the flexability of the longer zoom. I found the FZ at least the equal of the RX in all aspects but with a far superior auto-focus performance. Reviewers everywhere confirm that Panasonic m4/3rds/Compact cameras have class leading auto-focus systems.
As I near the ripe age of 70 I was doing less photography and I sold the FZ1000. My appetite for photography is renewed recently and I am tempted by a new 'high-end' bridge camera. The FZ2000 is very competitively priced against the new RX10 mk3 but I am sure they are both great cameras.

You really only 'need' the Sony RX10 iii if you want the 600mm reach. Otherwise the Panasonic FZ1000 is an excellent camera and has better autofocus than the Sony. I have owned the FZ1000 and love my RX10 iii.

Don't know if my thoughts will help ? I owned the RX10 mk1 when it first came out. I had no complaints and it was a very capable camera. I sold it and purchased a Panasonic FZ1000 as I wanted the flexability of the longer zoom. I found the FZ at least the equal of the RX in all aspects but with a far superior auto-focus performance. Reviewers everywhere confirm that Panasonic m4/3rds/Compact cameras have class leading auto-focus systems.
As I near the ripe age of 70 I was doing less photography and I sold the FZ1000. My appetite for photography is renewed recently and I am tempted by a new 'high-end' bridge camera. The FZ2000 is very competitively priced against the new RX10 mk3 but I am sure they are both great cameras.

The more thoughts, the more though provoking things - so thank you. Interesting points. I'm going to give it another week of umming and arring and then order an FZ1000. I think at around £550-600 it is an exceptional deal!

Make sure you've got a spare battery or two as you'll need them. An external charger is a good idea too. The battery life is, to put it very politely, poor compared with a DSLR.

Well.... I bought an FZ1000! Can’t wait for it to arrive now! I have done a bit of thinking and have decided that I want to throw myself into this, so will be investing in the FZ1000, at some point a Leica X series (yet to be decided, and because I love the old Vlux but think it is about time I get a genuine leica from germany!) and possibly some sort of DSLR... or Micro DSLR. I think the FZ1000 will be an excellent starting point as it will give me a wide lens to figure out which focal lengths will be best, for if/when I get an SLR. Excited about the increase in sensor size and apparent speed of it... a browse down the Spec Sheet reveals how advanced the thing actually is.. Pins and needles with excitement!

Well.... I bought an FZ1000! Can’t wait for it to arrive now! I have done a bit of thinking and have decided that I want to throw myself into this, so will be investing in the FZ1000, at some point a Leica X series (yet to be decided, and because I love the old Vlux but think it is about time I get a genuine leica from germany!) and possibly some sort of DSLR... or Micro DSLR. I think the FZ1000 will be an excellent starting point as it will give me a wide lens to figure out which focal lengths will be best, for if/when I get an SLR. Excited about the increase in sensor size and apparent speed of it... a browse down the Spec Sheet reveals how advanced the thing actually is.. Pins and needles with excitement!

congrats on your choice hopefully you get some nice days out with your new toy.. :)

Hi everyone

Are there any Panny FZ2000 users out there. I 'm thinking of adding one to my bag for video use and having spent 2 hrs watching youtube videos and trawling the net I still can't find the answers to a few questions I have. I would like to know if the camera has a sleep mode and what happens when you bring it back out of sleep. I have a Panny VX870 4K camcorder at the minute that goes to sleep when I flip the screen back in. When I open it back up it remembers the settings I had set. Most importantly it starts back up at the exact same zoom setting as previous. I'm trying to find out if the FZ2000 also goes straight to the last zoom setting. I t would be a deal breaker for me if you had to reset the zoom again.

cheers
Gary

Back