High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

I'm giving up on worrying about technique. Finally got one in flight, had tried all the camera techniques previously and never got anything. Was packing camera away when saw this one flying, so I literally aimed it in the general direction (not using monitor or viewfinder) and actually got this.

Got to be a motto in this somewhere.....DSC08294.jpg

Not what we expected to find in our garden - one very small wabbit. I opened the back gate for a bit and we think it's taken the hint and left but it's under threat if it returns.
DSC01492.JPG
Taken a few seconds later, this is much more what we expect to see.
DSC01499.JPG

DSC03921 1.jpg

The House Martins have arrived!

Every year these fantastic birds fly back from Africa to the eaves of our coachouse and their mud nests. The eaves are 10 metres from ground level and they move so fast that it is almost impossible to capture them with any sharpness but I love the sense of speed and determination of these delightful little travellers.

The built-in panorama option produces badly flawed output so DIY using PS's merge option, MS ICE or whatever is likely to give better results.

I do like it when a self-appointed jobsworth tries to order people about, especially when they have no idea what they are letting themselves in for. I am Adam's father. He knows what is coming.

If I see one more picture of Eilean Donan I may have to nail my head to a gatepost. What happened to originality? OOH I know---lets go down the road and take pictures of Urquhart Castle---no-one has ever done that before!

Last edited:
I do like it when a self-appointed jobsworth tries to order people about,
Mods are asked to join conscripted more like.
Don't argue with a mod, if you have a problem use the report button...

I am Adam's father.
I was worried for a minute I thought you were going to say you were Luke's father!

Bye :wave:

Some more pictures from the Sony DSC-R1 that I mentioned a while back...

R1_01343.JPG
The Scotland Yard Pub in Mayerhofen R1_01258.JPG
Addlerblick Zillergrund Mayerhofen R1_02021.JPG
Young boys with Hamster Worgle Austria R1_02354.JPG

Here's a few which might give you an idea of what is possible - minimum focus distance is around a metre at 600mm.

Common Darter by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Dragonfly Wing with Pterostigma by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Hoverfly by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Thanks Mike. I took the plunge as I found one on ebay for 890. Annoyingly I missed delivery on saturday so got it monday so havent had a chance to go and try Dragonflies but I have been trying flies in the garden and as you say it is spot on for close up photography. I just need to find a cheap ring light that will work on it then I can use it for moths as well.

First shots from my RX10 MkIV. Very pleased with how close it will focus straight out of the camera, the fly was only about 1.5cm long. This was accidentally on jpg rather than raw but I could still clean it up a little which was nice. I was impressed by the focus as well, this was on wide continuous and it locked onto the tiny fly no problems at all.

gardenfly.jpg

Thanks Mike. I took the plunge as I found one on ebay for 890. Annoyingly I missed delivery on saturday so got it monday so havent had a chance to go and try Dragonflies but I have been trying flies in the garden and as you say it is spot on for close up photography. I just need to find a cheap ring light that will work on it then I can use it for moths as well.
Great stuff - hope it works out for you and look forward to seeing some bug shots! :)

Back