High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

The AF speed was the Achilles heel of the mkiii so hopefully this will fix that.

The AF speed was the Achilles heel of the mkiii so hopefully this will fix that.
I disagree it's still excellent, not as good as Panasonic's, depends whether you really need these supercharged afs, personally I've not missed a shot because of the af.
Though I expect the new version to be far superior.

Last edited:
I disagree it's still excellent, not as good as Panasonic's, depends whether you really need these supercharged afs, personally I've not missed a shot because of the af.
Though I expect the new version to be far superior.
AF speed seems to be the key point they're pushing for the mk4 which suggests they felt it was lacking on previous versions. I compared the mk3 against the Panasonic in Jessops recently and thought the Sony was quite a long way behind but that's just my impression from a short use in the shop rather than as an owner.

Agree they're is a difference, the sony sometimes struggles where the panny doesn't and certainly if you do a lot of sports this looks really promising, I had the panny 2500, I picked the Sony for extra reach and better iq otherwise I'd have kept the panny.

Last edited:
I was looking to upgrade from my existing FZ1000 so looked at the FZ2000 and the Sony mk3. Preferred the Panasonic as the AF seemed faster and more accurate but dpreview thought the iq was worse than the 1000 so held back on the upgrade. Maybe the mk4 Sony is the way to go...

The mk4 will trump them all I'm sure, but it depends on what you shoot, for the most part the iii is fast and accurate, sometimes I think we get spoiled by new technology and tend to think we need the latest and greatest when what we've got is good enough.

Well I'm back on this thread... for now! I indeed ended up with a canon 100D. Cracking camera! However, earlier today I happened past Jessops in Manchester.. popped inside. The managers specials caught my eye.. and within there they had - after a quick google - a Canon G3X. Had a quick search on the web and it revealed to be a decent model - 1" sensor, 24-600 lens.. not too bad!

So initially; AF is shockingly slow, drive rate is shockingly slow, general operation is rather odd.. twizzle zoom ring around the lens.. but it does not have the option to actually "zoom" the lens...!? And yet the "sub command twizzly dial" (used for aperture setting on my 100D) does have the option... which is very odd! The rear LCD is pretty good - touch option is a nice addition. It has wifi and full HD 60p video.. which seems prettt decent! A few quick ones from this afternoon - quality itself is very good; indeed the squirrel shot was at ISO 4000! A dash or noise reduction/sharopeonf in photoshop (RAW) and all is good. G3X never been a serious contender on this forum I'm guessing?

So initially; AF is shockingly slow, drive rate is shockingly slow, general operation is rather odd.. twizzle zoom ring around the lens.. but it does not have the option to actually "zoom" the lens...!? And yet the "sub command twizzly dial" (used for aperture setting on my 100D) does have the option... which is very odd! The rear LCD is pretty good - touch option is a nice addition. It has wifi and full HD 60p video.. which seems prettt decent! A few quick ones from this afternoon - quality itself is very good; indeed the squirrel shot was at ISO 4000! A dash or noise reduction/sharopeonf in photoshop (RAW) and all is good. G3X never been a serious contender on this forum I'm guessing?
You don't hear much about the G3X which might be down to the Panasonic and Sony getting better reviews. Your shots look good though, so maybe it deserves more attention.

Technically, it doesn't qualify as a bridge camera as it lacks a viewfinder.

I notice the rx10 iv is only touch focus screen, no menu scrolling or anything and still not fully articulated, that will disappoint many I think. It seems a better af system and not much else.
Apart from a considerable higher price [emoji10]

Last edited:
Well it's never bothered me but I almost always shoot static subjects:)
I don't shoot any sports but have got bif without any problems as others have shown , of course it's not the best for that but good enough for occasional use , I'm sure the iv will be far superior in that regard but unless that's your main area of photography I see little more it has to offer.

Last edited:
Few more from my G3X - recently purchased the viewfinder for it, which helps. Still very impressed with the image quality -even zoomed into 200% these look good; squirrel was at ISO 1000. AF isn’t the quickest, but overall a very good contender! I do miss being able to edit raw images in camera, and you can only wifi across jpeg... but hey wifi is only a gadget, happy to wait til I’m home to transfer to my MacBook!

Attachments

• 6DB98289-70D8-4862-8A89-B2606DD8082F.jpeg
    6DB98289-70D8-4862-8A89-B2606DD8082F.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 29
  • A552541A-EDEA-4357-8F02-2506CECAA641.jpeg
    A552541A-EDEA-4357-8F02-2506CECAA641.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 5A48547F-B399-4133-953B-0CC25E640E84.jpeg
    5A48547F-B399-4133-953B-0CC25E640E84.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 3C6C7004-F2FC-4054-A6D0-CA1CCF2C0F7C.jpeg
    3C6C7004-F2FC-4054-A6D0-CA1CCF2C0F7C.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 30
It's a pity canon have no intention of updating, if they put their latest af system and incorporated a viewfinder they would certainly have a good option, I had this but the viewfinder and the af was the bug bear for me. But it's still a good camera

It's a pity canon have no intention of updating, if they put their latest af system and incorporated a viewfinder they would certainly have a good option, I had this but the viewfinder and the af was the bug bear for me. But it's still a good camera

Yes I agree - it’s peculiar they’ve not updated it yet, hopefully they will.. remember the palansomoc FZ50; last one and then nearly 10 years later they updated it! Hopefully not as long this time!

Yes I agree - it’s peculiar they’ve not updated it yet, hopefully they will.. remember the palansomoc FZ50; last one and then nearly 10 years later they updated it! Hopefully not as long this time!
According to a rep I spoke to earlier in the year they have no plans to update it[emoji10] but I suppose that could change otherwise it remains a sony/Panasonic franchise

According to a rep I spoke to earlier in the year they have no plans to update it[emoji10] but I suppose that could change otherwise it remains a sony/Panasonic franchise

It’s still sold and made though, or are they not even made now?

A few FZ1000 questions.

Looking at the online instructions ime struggling to see if this way of working can be set.

Manual with auto iso and exposure compensation on the zoom lever,after assigning zoom to the manual ring, also does it have a filter thread,some reviews say no but i think Panasonic list 62mm filters for it.

Thanks

Miserable grey weather, so first try with the RX10 IV not great (think the best I managed was ISO800):

DSC00125_edited-1 by Jon Chalk, on Flickr

DSC00132_edited-1 by Jon Chalk, on Flickr

DSC00189_edited-1 by Jon Chalk, on Flickr

DSC00246_edited-1 by Jon Chalk, on Flickr

,,,but on the whole, the AF way better than the A7II I traded it for, and the zoom is fast to operate and good for f4 at 600mm.

I was wondering who would be first here.

My rx10 3 is in classifieds if anyone interested

Because you're getting a IV?

Back