High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Well I took the RX10 M3 to our trip last week to Lake Garda; Stunning place - and no better camera to capture it with! Fallen in love with the Sony RX and its phenomenal image quality and all round flexibility!
DSC05778.jpg DSC05796.jpg DSC05850.jpg DSC05852.jpg DSC05856.jpg

Beautifully sharp with lovely color. Did you do much post processing? I sold my FZ1000 and Im very tempted with the RX10.

Warning ! you are looking at images captured by a true artisan (dibbly dobbler) with this lens. Mere mortals may struggle to achieve similar results. :(

Half a dozen from our recent cruise:

DSC00502.JPG

Cartagena

DSC00584.JPG

Palma de Mallorca

DSC00595.JPG

Barcelona

DSC00605.JPG

Barcelona

DSC00662.JPG

Villefranche

DSC00792.JPG

Cadiz

I've been out and about with the RX10 II & IV (separately!) this last week so I'll put up some examples once they're ready.
The Bath owls are finished and just waiting for Mrs S to approve them so they can go up on my web site.
There are rather a lot of motocross shots from last weekend so they may take a while......

Can anyone tell me if the Panasonic FZ330 can cope with quick moving objects, namely an 8mth old pup ?

I seem to be reading mixed reviews on the web...

Can anyone tell me if the Panasonic FZ330 can cope with quick moving objects, namely an 8mth old pup ?

I seem to be reading mixed reviews on the web...

I found the auto focus on the FZ330 to be very good. Equally as good as the Panasonic G7 in continuous.

They'll never win an award but I was surprised when it tracked wasps in flight. It also tracked my puppy when running.

Attachments

• P1010412.jpg
    P1010412.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 18
  • P1010675.jpg
    P1010675.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 17
Owls - there are currently 82 over-sized owls in and around Bath of which I've photographed 52. The details of the project are at https://minervasowls.org/.
I used the RX10 II as I didn't expect to need more than '200mm' and only 8 of the 128 shots were at 200mm and, of those, only 4 would have benefited from a longer lens.
Nearly all the shots are SOOC JPGs with just a few getting a small amount of cropping, rotation, etc. The whole set is here.

Minerva's%20Night%20Owl%201.JPG

Athene%20Noctua.JPG

Our favourite - painted to look like a real Little Owl and given its Latin name.

Last edited:
I found the auto focus on the FZ330 to be very good. Equally as good as the Panasonic G7 in continuous.

They'll never win an award but I was surprised when it tracked wasps in flight. It also tracked my puppy when running.
Plus one for the FZ330. Had one for a while and then gave it to my brother. He loves it. Quality is actually quite amazing for such a small sensor, and has insanely quick AF, bright 2.8 zoom lens and great ergonomics. Good choice indeed!

Plus one for the FZ330. Had one for a while and then gave it to my brother. He loves it. Quality is actually quite amazing for such a small sensor, and has insanely quick AF, bright 2.8 zoom lens and great ergonomics. Good choice indeed!

That's good to hear. I've spent an hour or two looking at different options and keep coming back to the fz's. I'm even considering upping my budget and going for the 1000.

The issue I have is having shot professionally with full frame Nikons, I'll end up comparing the results to those :D. With that in mind the 1000 is as close as I'll get without having to go down the DSLR route again.

anyone using a flash on their rx10? just wondered what you were using/opinions thereof

I've used a good selection since the original RX10 was released in 2013: HVL-F20M, HVL-F32M, HVL-F43M, Nissin i40, Godox TT350S & TT685S.
The F20M isn't powerful enough to use other than indoors as a trigger for other Sony (etc.) flashes.
The F32M doesn't have anything to recommend it over the TT350S which is a fraction of the price.
The F43M is a keeper but pricy.
The i40 is nearly very good but the dials rotate a little too easily and the hinge is placed too far to the rear so the whole thing isn't flat when the flash is pointing up which makes it a pain in the shoulder bag.
The Godoxen are great value and work very well.

If I'm out I take either the TT350S or F43M depending on whether I know I'll need flash or not. If I'm at home I'll use a scattering of Godox units with an XPro-S transmitter.
Basically, if you're not a heavy flash user, get a TT350S or the Lithium-battery V350S. Otherwise get a TT685S or V860S II.

Last edited:
Here's a pano from our stay in Brixham last month. Taken from just in front of our B&B, eight portrait-mode frames with my elbow resting on a railing. Pano created using PSE's Photo-merge tool. This is the small (1024px) version; the large one (3000px) is here.
DSC01621-8.JPG

And here's a night scene from our cel^H^H^Hroom window, just above where I took the pano.
DSC01674.JPG

Thought this was an interesting find from the archives! Taken back in 2008 according to the EXIF and on the old Panasonic FZ50; My second every camera! I have the RAW file and just processed it again - still impressed me! So this was at ISO 800 and in RAW - and I remember this camera then had a a wait of around 5 seconds each time you took a RAW file! Not to mentioned the AF - continuous didn't exist and it fully blacked out during motor drive shooting. I think its interesting how far we come, and yet this still looks pretty decent at 200% zoom! Low res attached JPEG attached plus link to original high res file if anyone is interested! The high end of the old days!
P1540470 2.jpg

https://we.tl/t-4FlIX3eY9n

Back