High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Addendum to this:- This was taken on the Dorset coast at West Bay which was a bit of a busman's holiday for me as we get a million of these guys roosting each winter in the Somerset Levels [where I live] - however I wouldn't get as close as this normally.

Some fantastic images on here lately! I've done a bit of a swing around and ended up with (never lost!) the RX10 3 and the Leica V Lux 114 (again!). Just while on lunch today, I popped to LCE and had a nosey at some secondhand stock - was sorely tempted with the G3x that was there on offer for £450 incl viewfinder (used) but withheld the urge knowing it would be used (even less!) than what I currently have! However... They did have a Nikon P1000 on display. I didn't get chance to look but it stuck in my mind til later. Just had a google and found a really good review with some really good samples (RAW) and... I have to say. I'm impressed. Check out this review and download the RAW and open in photoshop. Sure they are noisy but there seems to be bags of detail there. I'm sorry sorely tempted now to get one of these for a play. Any one else bought one of these lately?

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-p1000/nikon-p1000A.HTM#overview_start

Some fantastic images on here lately! I've done a bit of a swing around and ended up with (never lost!) the RX10 3 and the Leica V Lux 114 (again!). Just while on lunch today, I popped to LCE and had a nosey at some secondhand stock - was sorely tempted with the G3x that was there on offer for £450 incl viewfinder (used) but withheld the urge knowing it would be used (even less!) than what I currently have! However... They did have a Nikon P1000 on display. I didn't get chance to look but it stuck in my mind til later. Just had a google and found a really good review with some really good samples (RAW) and... I have to say. I'm impressed. Check out this review and download the RAW and open in photoshop. Sure they are noisy but there seems to be bags of detail there. I'm sorry sorely tempted now to get one of these for a play. Any one else bought one of these lately?

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-p1000/nikon-p1000A.HTM#overview_start
Yes I have one I play with now and again. For a small sensor I am surprised just what you can get out of it and that zoom is crazy. It is a big camera but a lot of fun to use.

I’ve recently been using a Sony RX100vi just as a carry everywhere type of camera and must admit I’m very impressed with the quality of snaps it can produce, so much so that I’m seriously thinking of purchasing an RX10iv as I’m sure it uses the same sensor. I’d be very interested to know what you users that have one of these feel about it. I’m not concerned about the interface etc as its easy to get accustomed to the workings etc with a bit of practice. What I am interested in is how good the lens performs at various focal lengths? Is the lens suseptical to flaring easily? And what are any short comings of the camera that you have found? Any information that you could pass on to me would be gratefully appreciated.

This would not be as a replacement for my Fuji equipment, just as what appears to be a very usable addition. (y)

George.

I have the same quibbles about the RX10 IV that I had about the original version in 2013: battery life and dynamic range. DR will be the same as your RX100 VI so you know what to expect but the FW50 battery is well past its use-by date. Plus, of course, the RX10 III & IV are big, heavy lumps compared to the original & II which is why I hang onto a II for those occasions when portability is more important than reach.
I do have a feeling that the lens on my RX10 IV sample isn't as good at '600mm' and 'infinity' as it could be but the results others post here show that that's not common.

Yes I have one I play with now and again. For a small sensor I am surprised just what you can get out of it and that zoom is crazy. It is a big camera but a lot of fun to use.

Aye! Missed out on one on Ebay that was up for £700 which didn't seem a bad price! Drat, next time!

Aye! Missed out on one on Ebay that was up for £700 which didn't seem a bad price! Drat, next time!

I have the same quibbles about the RX10 IV that I had about the original version in 2013: battery life and dynamic range. DR will be the same as your RX100 VI so you know what to expect but the FW50 battery is well past its use-by date. Plus, of course, the RX10 III & IV are big, heavy lumps compared to the original & II which is why I hang onto a II for those occasions when portability is more important than reach.
I do have a feeling that the lens on my RX10 IV sample isn't as good at '600mm' and 'infinity' as it could be but the results others post here show that that's not common.

"Many thanks for taking the time to post a detailed description of your findings etc its very much appreciated.

I'm not too bothered about battery life as being brought up on large & medium format film cameras I'm well used to having to change a film every few shots, so changing a battery will not bother me too much. The size & weight's an interesting thought though but I guess as long as its more portable than my Fuji cameras together with lenses to cover from 24mm - 600mm then I'm sure it'll be fine. Your findings with the lens on your unit at 600mm infinity is interesting and I wonder if anyone else has experienced the same. I think most zoom lenses that have a considerably long range between their wide & long focal lengths do drop of a bit in definition at the longer end but would you be saying with your findings that your shots are still usable at 600mm and could it possibly be a little camera shake creeping in at that focal length? I wonder if the lens performs better when mounted on a good tripod, maybe you've already tried that and still get a bit of softness at the 600mm setting. Once again many thanks for your detailed reply.(y)

George.

Interesting! I've got the olderMark 3 - and I have to say I have absolutely no complaints at lal regards sharpness and clarity, I've posted a few earlier on in the thread with high res images, and I find the detail amazing, at infinity and long range at the full zoom. Might be worth checking out your model, I know for me - if it was slightly more updated on the UX side of things - would be the only bridge camera I need!

"Many thanks for taking the time to post a detailed description of your findings etc its very much appreciated.

I'm not too bothered about battery life as being brought up on large & medium format film cameras I'm well used to having to change a film every few shots, so changing a battery will not bother me too much. The size & weight's an interesting thought though but I guess as long as its more portable than my Fuji cameras together with lenses to cover from 24mm - 600mm then I'm sure it'll be fine. Your findings with the lens on your unit at 600mm infinity is interesting and I wonder if anyone else has experienced the same. I think most zoom lenses that have a considerably long range between their wide & long focal lengths do drop of a bit in definition at the longer end but would you be saying with your findings that your shots are still usable at 600mm and could it possibly be a little camera shake creeping in at that focal length? I wonder if the lens performs better when mounted on a good tripod, maybe you've already tried that and still get a bit of softness at the 600mm setting. Once again many thanks for your detailed reply.(y)

George.
George [et al]
It may be that Snapsh0t has a problem with the lens at 600mm due to a fault, or perhaps as you wondered camera shake, or choice of aperture/SS, or atmospheric distortion on a hot day I have no idea but so far I've been delighted with my RX10IV. I don't complain about the battery as it's the same one I had in my A7R2 however I must say the RX10IV has got me trying out video since it is rather capable in that regard, and I see much greater consumption of the Sony NP-FW50 battery taking video however I have 4 of them and it hasn't impacted me yet.

Regarding "Plus, of course, the RX10 III & IV are big, heavy lumps compared to the original & II " Lump it may be, however the FF A7R2 with an FE 70-200 G lens or ZA 16-35 f4 was no lighter to carry than the RX10IV and of course with the Loxia 21 and Batis f1.8 85 in the bag and that was without trying to go beyond 200mm (equiv.).

As further input, I'd have to say that I couldn't afford to buy an almost £1800 bridge camera and keep my A7R2 and lenses, if I could have justified it I would have, however realising that I wasn't taking what for me was about £5000 of gear out very often was criminal - Moved from Canon 1d3 + heap of lenses and bought the A7R2 from July 2015 and would only have wanted an A7R3 to replace it but the R2 wasn't being used enough hence sell up and get a tiny 1 inch sensor - sheer madness clearly.

However in my Canon days with a a 300mm f2.8 IS II lens or with a 2xTC I couldn't get better BIFS than with my RX10IV at 24 FPS [I can actually catch bifs now] - and that Canon lens and 1D body was a lump (at least to me) - TBH although I'm not just into bird images, 600mm prime IMHO is the best starting place for birds and even with the RX10IV 600mm isn't long enough however if one had 10grand ++ to spend and the requisite muscles a Canon 1DX11 + 600 mm prime [or equiv. alternate make] ;-) plus tripod and gimbal then I'd be really into birding as I would be able to make up for 600mm being inadequate by cropping..

My only concern regarding buying into the RX10IV today would mean you might regret not waiting for the RX10V if indeed there will be one....

Jamie

George [et al]
It may be that Snapsh0t has a problem with the lens at 600mm due to a fault, or perhaps as you wondered camera shake, or choice of aperture/SS, or atmospheric distortion on a hot day I have no idea but so far I've been delighted with my RX10IV. I don't complain about the battery as it's the same one I had in my A7R2 however I must say the RX10IV has got me trying out video since it is rather capable in that regard, and I see much greater consumption of the Sony NP-FW50 battery taking video however I have 4 of them and it hasn't impacted me yet.

Regarding "Plus, of course, the RX10 III & IV are big, heavy lumps compared to the original & II " Lump it may be, however the FF A7R2 with an FE 70-200 G lens or ZA 16-35 f4 was no lighter to carry than the RX10IV and of course with the Loxia 21 and Batis f1.8 85 in the bag and that was without trying to go beyond 200mm (equiv.).

As further input, I'd have to say that I couldn't afford to buy an almost £1800 bridge camera and keep my A7R2 and lenses, if I could have justified it I would have, however realising that I wasn't taking what for me was about £5000 of gear out very often was criminal - Moved from Canon 1d3 + heap of lenses and bought the A7R2 from July 2015 and would only have wanted an A7R3 to replace it but the R2 wasn't being used enough hence sell up and get a tiny 1 inch sensor - sheer madness clearly.

However in my Canon days with a a 300mm f2.8 IS II lens or with a 2xTC I couldn't get better BIFS than with my RX10IV at 24 FPS [I can actually catch bifs now] - and that Canon lens and 1D body was a lump (at least to me) - TBH although I'm not just into bird images, 600mm prime IMHO is the best starting place for birds and even with the RX10IV 600mm isn't long enough however if one had 10grand ++ to spend and the requisite muscles a Canon 1DX11 + 600 mm prime [or equiv. alternate make] ;-) plus tripod and gimbal then I'd be really into birding as I would be able to make up for 600mm being inadequate by cropping..

My only concern regarding buying into the RX10IV today would mean you might regret not waiting for the RX10V if indeed there will be one....

Jamie

Thank you for taking the time to reply, that’s a very fine & detailed report with some points well worth thinking about.(y)

George.

SON09703_zps9pygjetl.jpg

SON09729_zpsdqgq1kob.jpg

SON09726_zpsekx2edlr.jpg

How does the AF speed of the RX10iii compare with the Panasonic FZ1000? I have the Panasonic and find the AF often frustrating particularly for wildlife as it doesn't AF quick enough. I'm hoping the Sony is better but don't want to swap if not!

The RX10 III probably isn't any better than the FZ1000 but the IV certainly should be.

The RX10 III probably isn't any better than the FZ1000 but the IV certainly should be.
Hmm can’t run to a IV at the moment but I’ll see what the III is like as I’ve just committed to buying stickytape’s one! One of my kids had run off with my FZ1000 anyway so I’ll need something to shoot the garden birds with. :)

Back