High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Anyone use a flash gun on the various Sony RX? Any recommendations?
The best value currently is Godox. The basic choice is between the TT350S and TT685S (or their lithium-batteried equivalents). The differences being size, power and recycling time. If you want to use off-camera flash you can then add almost any other Godox TTL flash and the system just works.

If you want to stick with Sony then my favourite is the HVL-F43M. Note it must be the 'M' version, not the 'AM' as that has the earlier Autolok shoe and will need an adapter to work.

There's also the Nissin i40 & i60. The i40 is worth consideration but the i60 is too expensive compared with the TT685.

The best value currently is Godox. The basic choice is between the TT350S and TT685S (or their lithium-batteried equivalents). The differences being size, power and recycling time. If you want to use off-camera flash you can then add almost any other Godox TTL flash and the system just works.

If you want to stick with Sony then my favourite is the HVL-F43M. Note it must be the 'M' version, not the 'AM' as that has the earlier Autolok shoe and will need an adapter to work.

There's also the Nissin i40 & i60. The i40 is worth consideration but the i60 is too expensive compared with the TT685.

Thanks for that! Will review these options. Cheers!

Are you sure this is a crow, Mike? The curve of its beak, the tuft at the base and the shaggier throat feathers suggest it's a raven. Can you remember if it said 'caw, caw, caw' or 'kronk, kronk'?

Remember Crows are crafty, it may have lied ;)

After another tandem shoot yesterday with the Canon m50 and 100-400, and the RX10 - dare I say it, the RX10 seems initially sharper, and better resolution than the M50...! Pictures to follow...
View attachment 242931
View attachment 242932
View attachment 242933

Could you get a sharper shot of a robin with a 600mm?! That was wide open, even zoomed in to 200 percent it is incredibly detailed!

Last edited:
Question guys - do Sony RX10 111 and 4 have the Sony screen protector on from new? My RX10 has this on but a friend has got some marks on the screen of his 4, but it looks like to me, just the screen protector. Am I right?

Just a thoight/... if I got the cheaper older flash (LCE have one in for £50!) I could then use this to convert it to the normal Sony fit right?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Shoe...742473?hash=item4177db6a09:g:saQAAOxy~g5RrtYS

Just a thoight/... if I got the cheaper older flash (LCE have one in for £50!) I could then use this to convert it to the normal Sony fit right?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Shoe...742473?hash=item4177db6a09:g:saQAAOxy~g5RrtYS
In theory, yes, but I don't think that adapter is correctly described as it looks more like it 'converts' a non-Sony flash to the old foot. This is a genuine one and this is a copy. Somewhere in the shambles that is my work room there's a bag of Sony flash bits. If I can find something suitable I'll put it in the Sales section.

Also, the flash in LCE is an F42AM, not an F43AM. It's a good flash but the brilliant thing about the F43 is the way the head swivels to switch to portrait mode. Only the F43AM/M, F58AM & F60M do this.

Last edited:
In theory, yes, but I don't think that adapter is correctly described as it looks more like it 'converts' a non-Sony flash to the old foot. This is a genuine one and this is a copy. Somewhere in the shambles that is my work room there's a bag of Sony flash bits. If I can find something suitable I'll put it in the Sales section.

Also, the flash in LCE is an F42AM, not an F43AM. It's a good flash but the brilliant thing about the F43 is the way the head swivels to switch to portrait mode. Only the F43AM/M, F58AM & F60M do this.

Ah!! thats a great help, thanks for taking the time out! Good point regards the Sony flash in LCE - my limited understanding was that so long as I can bounce the flash (all I do!) then it would be good enough for me; as it is just for when taking portraits or flash shots, bounce flash is much nicer! I will check out those, and hopefully wait for a sales thread of you! :)

Few from the RXIV; nothing need be said in terms of the AF speed. First time out with it and decided to try swallows. Sure framing is not great but this is a testament to its capabilities... to say I’m mind blown is an understatement! IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0852.JPGIMG_0856.JPG

I figured out using Shutter Speed mode set to 1/1000 and then the ISO auto worked to ensure it got the right expose! Technology never ceases to amaze me!

So... I could get the Sony F42 for about £50; Or the F43 for about £90. Is it worth it? Advice from those in the know would be appreciated!

Thanks George, hope you are well:)

Thank you fellow snapper, I sure do appreciate your reply.

"Many thanks for that, I'm getting there but very slowly. Sure wish I could get out & about with my camera kit"

George.

Last edited:
So... I could get the Sony F42 for about £50; Or the F43 for about £90. Is it worth it? Advice from those in the know would be appreciated!
Depends if the F43 is F43M or F43AM. If it's an F43M then that's a very good price and you wouldn't need that adapter. I'm not so sure it's a good price for an F43AM.
But, if you're looking at spending up to £100, you should also consider the Godox TT685S at £96 from Amazon which opens the door to a comprehensive flash system.

Depends if the F43 is F43M or F43AM. If it's an F43M then that's a very good price and you wouldn't need that adapter. I'm not so sure it's a good price for an F43AM.
But, if you're looking at spending up to £100, you should also consider the Godox TT685S at £96 from Amazon which opens the door to a comprehensive flash system.

Cheers! I pulled the plug yesterday on the F42M for £40 from LCE so think that will do me... for now!!

Just ordered my RX10 IV after shifting on all my canon stuff.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality camera case/bag that fits this perfectly well with space for batteries and SD cards?

I’ve only got rucksacks left from the Canon stuff, which are just too big.

Thanks in advance and appreciate your advice.

Back