High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

I'd argue that point with the RX10 IV I have; The AF is now unbelievable on that, I was capturing swallows successfully with this a few weeks ago.. Its quite a revelation over the RX 3

:agree: The RX10M4 is the fastest auto focusing Camera I’ve ever used.

George.

As stickytape says, the RX10 IV has excellent AF as it has technology from the Sony A9. Mirrorless cameras are now as good as DSLRs for AF speed and the technology has filtered down. The moto-x shot further up this page was taken with my RX10 IV. I took high-speed bursts (20fps) of a couple of starts and nearly all frames are sharp.

:plus1: The RX10M4 is an awesome bit of kit.

George.

I was talking about superbikes doing 150mph , the III couldn't keep up with them but was better at moving stuff than any bridge I've had previously , I bought a Nikon P900 cheap a few months later the sony is 10x better than it

Last edited:
Haven’t had much opportunity to use the camera since I bought it. But first images that I’ve taken in anger have really surprised me.

The sharpness of them is simply fantastic, even when pixel peeping

Just got to get to grips with the menu system and using manual mode, rather than auto.

AD52A3AF-A7E7-401E-A1AF-361DC7711A73.jpegB4D1D921-4890-41F0-974C-9E6C1A51E583.jpeg

Haven’t had much opportunity to use the camera since I bought it. But first images that I’ve taken in anger have really surprised me.

The sharpness of them is simply fantastic, even when pixel peeping

Just got to get to grips with the menu system and using manual mode, rather than auto.

View attachment 249272View attachment 249273

Two very nice close up shots, with fine detail & colour.

George.

Just a simple snap taken at Kent UK of an Alstroemeria plant in my garden.

Sony RX10M4, 1/125th @ F5.6, ISO-160, Handheld. (I'm absolutely amazed at the quality & detail that can be obtained from these RX10 series cameras)
Alstroemeria-03313 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

Last edited:
Just a simple close up snap taken in my garden of some leaves on one of the trees that I quit liked the way the contre-jour light was catching them.

Sony RX10M4, 1/320th @ F4.5, ISO-100, Handheld.
Leaves (1)-03315 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking.,(y)

George.

Well its kinda thanks to @dibbly dobbler for more or less recommending to me the RX10 series of units. As I'm still limited as to what I can carry at the moment I bought an RX10M4, and to say that I'm bowled over with it is an understatement. The quality of images (in the right hands), the speed of focus & general operation and the superb lens at all focal lengths is outstanding.

Some of you may know that one of my interests is having a photography company & picture agency that specializes in nothing other than Motor Sport photography. Amongst our clients are three F1 teams that we are the PR photographers for, so naturally we as a company attend every F1 event with very often six photographers.That's a brief intro as to where I'm going with this post.

One of my togs asked me if he could give my RX10M4 an outing at the British Grand Prix, so I let him take it for the weekend, he also let the other togs use it for a while. WELL !!! the shots they all came back with were some of the best stuff they've ever taken with the success rate being much higher than our normal Fuji units which we absolutely love after moving three years ago from Nikon. Needless to say they all wanted to have an RX10M4 amongst their regular units which I've now invested in one each for them. So if anyone has doubts about the performance of these RX10M4 units then all I can say is try one as we photographed F1 cars moving at over (200 mph) with one of them without any problems whatsoever.

So many thanks @dibbly dobbler for your recommendations, even if you have indirectly cost me a small fortune. :):)(y)(y)

George.

Thanks for the shout out George - very interesting to hear your togs are making use of an RX10 now :)

In some circles there is a strong negative bias against these - one very successful pro tog descibed them on another site as something along the lines of 'a piece of sh1t disguised as a camera' which I thought was completely OTT so I have been on a bit of a quiet crusade to show what they can do, and it's quite a validation to know they are being used successfully by professionals :)

Hope you get lots of use out of your own RX10 also as you get back to full health :)

I have enjoyed using the RX10 III for a short while and it fulfilled the need for a versatile camera for my recent holiday. The image quality is great and the lens range really useful. However, for my day-to-day needs it is a little too big, so it's time to move it on again.

Good to see more really nice results from these high end bridge cameras on this thread. I will continue to look in from time to time.

On the macro shots that you guys post with the RX10's (III or iv) are you having to use another lens or Raynox or something? And what about flash?
Well the macro shots I have posted were shot just with the native lens and no flash - generally at 600mm and f8 or so. They’re not true macro as such but good enough for bigger bugs or flowers etc. You can get as close as about a metre away and with a fairly heavy crop you can get a decent shot :)

On the macro shots that you guys post with the RX10's (III or iv) are you having to use another lens or Raynox or something? And what about flash?

As Mike says, you can get really good shots of larger bugs & flowers etc just using the native lens and a bit of PP work.

I’ve also used the Raynox DCR-250 & MSN-202 with my M4. The 250 is pretty good with the lens racked out a bit as you get a bit of vignetting at wider settings. The 202 is only just usable but I wouldn’t recommend it with the RX10 series. In both cases you’ll need a step down ring so as to fit the Raynox to the camera as the Raynox spring mount does not stretch out to the 72mm thread on the lens.

I’ve also used a “Meike MK-14XT macro ring lite” with this camera in manual mode and it works very well with a bit of modification to the light to give more diffusion.

Hope this helps.,

George.

Last edited:
DSC02245 by alan grozier, on Flickr

a visit to culross

That’s a nice landscape type shot, with some very nice clouds.

“I wonder, do you really need the bit of railroad track in the foreground ? and without trying to be too picky, the horizon could do with a bit of levelling”

George.

Back