High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Thought this might be of interest - the shot was taken at iso800 on the RX10iv (pretty noisy and mushy as you might expect), I treated mysel to Topaz DeNoise and I must say I am impressed! Cleans up quite nicely I think - will definitely use iso800 now where before I was rarely happy with an image taken at that level :)

Wren Edit by Mike Smith, on Flickr

That's very interesting Mike, just wondered if this capture is pulled up quite a bit in the first place? Only I shoot regularly with my RX10M4 & RX100M6 (same sensor) at 3200 ISO with no adverse effect. Admittedly there's some noise in the shots but nothing that I can't clean up in "Affinity Photo" usually with the Luminance noise slider to about 15%.

Must admit though this shot has certainly cleaned & sharpened up nicely. "HAPPY NEW YEAR"

Last edited:
So that's it I plan for an IV and Topaz denoise when February gets here!

You'll certainly do well to get an RX10M4 Mark.

Mike put me on to one a time or two back when I was unable to carry my main kit about for health reasons. Over more recent times I have drifted back to using my Fuji-X gear a bit more now that I'm able to carry a little more, but I still maintain that if I was forced to keep only one of my cameras including Medium Format then I would keep the RX10M4 and let all the others go. In my opinion the M4 is best all round most versatile camera available.

Sure you can't change lenses etc but with an absolutely stunning quality 24-600mm equivalent lens on board who wants to change lenses? I had a couple of converter lenses made for mine with one that can give me an ultra wide angle of view and the other to a very, very close macro setting depending on zoom length that is set.

That's very interesting Mike, just wondered if this capture is pulled up quite a bit in the first place? Only I shoot regularly with my RX10M4 & RX100M6 (same sensor) at 3200 ISO with no adverse effect. Admittedly there's some noise in the shots but nothing that I can't clean up in "Affinity Photo" usually with the Luminance noise slider to about 15%.

Must admit though this shot has certainly cleaned & sharpened up nicely. "HAPPY NEW YEAR"
Happy New Year to you too George :)

The 'before' is just the jpeg I think so I didn;t mess around with it. Interesting that you find iso3200 to be ok... I think I'm right in saying I have never used a shot taken at over iso800! So maybe with Topaz DeNoise I should amend my auto iso settings to allow iso1600 ... food for thought anyway and it would help in the gloomy winter conditions :)

Happy New Year to you too George :)

The 'before' is just the jpeg I think so I didn;t mess around with it. Interesting that you find iso3200 to be ok... I think I'm right in saying I have never used a shot taken at over iso800! So maybe with Topaz DeNoise I should amend my auto iso settings to allow iso1600 ... food for thought anyway and it would help in the gloomy winter conditions :)

Mike, I think its fair to say that I only ever snap in RAW. I then convert the file to DNG and then do the majority of my PP in "Affinity Photo" and use absolutely no presets whatsoever ie everything is done visually. I think your style of shooting ie mainly birds is perhaps more demanding than mine with regards to noise etc. Going back a time or two I used to snap everything on a "Nikon F" loaded with "Tri-X" which could sometimes give grain the size of marbles if you weren't careful :), so now a bit of noise doesn't bother me one bit.

I'm still very thankful to you though for putting me onto the RX10M4 and I'm still amazed at the quality of images that can be obtained from these units.

Mike put me on to one a time or two back when I was unable to carry my main kit about for health reasons. Over more recent times I have drifted back to using my Fuji-X gear a bit more now that I'm able to carry a little more, but I still maintain that if I was forced to keep only one of my cameras including Medium Format then I would keep the RX10M4 and let all the others go. In my opinion the M4 is best all round most versatile camera available.

Sure you can't change lenses etc but with an absolutely stunning quality 24-600mm equivalent lens on board who wants to change lenses? I had a couple of converter lenses made for mine with one that can give me an ultra wide angle of view and the other to a very, very close macro setting depending on zoom length that is set.
It's something to look forward to

Hi George many thanks. I have a little concern about the weight (I suffer a neurological disorder) but I plan to use a black rapid strap and perhaps a monopod to help.

Two years ago at the then age of 73 I decided I no longer wanted to carry a DSLR camera and lenses around, I looked at the Sony RX10 and the Panasonic FZ2000 cameras. I decided to buy the Panasonic as the Sony cost almost twice as much (I didn't think the Sony was twice as good) and I wanted a fully articulating LCD screen which the Sony didn't have at that time (I don't know if it does now), another reason I went for the Panasonic was the £100 cash back offer which reduced the cost to £779... I have never regretted my decision as I love my Panasonic.

Last edited:
Hi George many thanks. I have a little concern about the weight (I suffer a neurological disorder) but I plan to use a black rapid strap and perhaps a monopod to help.

Hi Mark, sorry to hear that matey.

The RX10M4 is not the lightest camera on the planet (quality seldom is) but the thing I did before I got mine was to put things in my bag that weighed the same etc and wander about with that to see how I got on before spending money on a unit that I maybe unable to carry (might be worth you trying the same thing). I'd had a pump transplant in March 2019 and then I was opened up again in August 2019 for some lung surgery so obviously at the time I had to keep a check on the weight that I could carry.

I did however already have the RX100M6 so I already knew what the quality of that sensor would be like, and although the smaller unit is not as versatile as the larger camera the quality of images are of equal quality.

Hope this bit of blurb helps you to make a decision, and if you find you can manage the RX10M4 I know you'll not regret it. (y)

@G.K.Jnr. - you were quite right George, the below was shot at iso1600 (cleaned up in Topaz DeNoise) and it's perfectly fine!

Robin by Mike Smith, on Flickr

"Excellent" wildlife shot Mike, it sure has got some detail and looks pretty clean to me.

"I shall give that "Topaz DeNoise" a look tomorrow as it looks to to me to do a very good job indeed, so if it fits in with my workflow I'll certainly invest in a copy"

Hi Mark, sorry to hear that matey.

The RX10M4 is not the lightest camera on the planet (quality seldom is) but the thing I did before I got mine was to put things in my bag that weighed the same etc and wander about with that to see how I got on before spending money on a unit that I maybe unable to carry (might be worth you trying the same thing). I'd had a pump transplant in March 2019 and then I was opened up again in August 2019 for some lung surgery so obviously at the time I had to keep a check on the weight that I could carry.

I did however already have the RX100M6 so I already knew what the quality of that sensor would be like, and although the smaller unit is not as versatile as the larger camera the quality of images are of equal quality.

Hope this bit of blurb helps you to make a decision, and if you find you can manage the RX10M4 I know you'll not regret it. (y)
Thanks George best wishes

Thanks George - getting good results at higher iso really helps me get the most out of the Camera :)

I’m very impressed with Topaz DeNoise but am no kind of an expert in these things so it’ll be interesting to see what you think.

Cheers
Definitely on my shopping list M4 and Topaz denoise

Definitely on my shopping list M4 and Topaz denoise

That's good to hear Mark, the M4 is one hell of a good camera by any standards, as for Topaz DeNoise I can't as yet comment but on the recommendation of Mike @dibbly dobbler I shall be looking at it sometime today and if it fits in with my workflow I shall certainly purchase a copy.

Hi all

I’m coming back to photography after a few years spent on my other hobby…..drumming.

Recently sold the drums and have spent a week or so poring over articles and forums trying to decide what camera/lens to get.

After seeing this thread I have just purchased a mint looking Sony rx10iii off of the auction site.

Should get it in the week sometime.

Can’t wait.

Just a bit of advice to users of topaz de.noise . When using it the program seems to ignore the “standard” setting frequently . If you click on standard in the right hand list it brings it back in I find this the best one to use .
And I certaintly don’t worry about noise on my olympus I often have to shoot at iso 6400 and topaz cleans it up lovely . Look in the olympus thread at my Robin on a log shot at 6400

Pushed the RX10 to iso3200 for these... Robin came out ok but the Wren is borderline I would say. Think that is definitely the limit even with Topaz deNoise :)

Robin by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Wren by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Two very nice wildlife shots Mike, particularly the Robin.

"I'm guessing that "Topaz deNoise" has opened up a whole new ball park for you with your "RX10M4" as your shots certainly do still look very clean & crisp. I must get back to posting a few snaps of mine on this thread again, unfortunately although I do appreciate good wildlife photography which this thread seems to be more leaning towards its not something I do very often. I much prefer to snap candid street style stuff which is probably more suited to other threads."

Two very nice wildlife shots Mike, particularly the Robin.

"I'm guessing that "Topaz deNoise" has opened up a whole new ball park for you with your "RX10M4" as your shots certainly do still look very clean & crisp. I must get back to posting a few snaps of mine on this thread again, unfortunately although I do appreciate good wildlife photography which this thread seems to be more leaning towards its not something I do very often. I much prefer to snap candid street style stuff which is probably more suited to other threads."
Thanks George - yes it has certainly made a difference especially on these dull winter days! Be great to see anything you have George - please do post :)

Hi all

I’m coming back to photography after a few years spent on my other hobby…..drumming.

Recently sold the drums and have spent a week or so poring over articles and forums trying to decide what camera/lens to get.

After seeing this thread I have just purchased a mint looking Sony rx10iii off of the auction site.

Can’t wait.
No welcome. That’s sad.

Hi all

Can’t wait.
Welcome! Had the RX10 mark 3 many moons ago - very nice! Switched over to Leica/Panasonic but the Sony was pretty good!

Back