Hmm, time to dump flickr and finally build my own website?

People spend thousands on camera gear then moan about paying less than £1 a week to store and display their photos, hmm
Some people *may* spend thousands yes.
Its not the price that it seems most people are objecting to, its the fact the price has doubled with no increase in "return" for them / me / et al

Its not the price that it seems most people are objecting to, its the fact the price has doubled with no increase in "return" for them / me / et al
I get that but there’s a lot of people complaining that their free account will have new limits imposed, they should be thankful it’s still free. I don’t work for nothing why should Flickr? As for the fee doubling is it competitive against their rivals ? Seems good value to me.

People always complain when things change, it`s human nature. I going to stay, but drop down to free (to keep in touch with contacts etc), mainly because of the price doubling more than the actual price itself.Like others have said, we spend enough on various other things do do with photography.

I get that but there’s a lot of people complaining that their free account will have new limits imposed,
Its a retrograde step, back to what it was a few years ago, or is it less? I can't quite remember TBH.

As for the fee doubling is it competitive against their rivals ?
Reading through the various posts, yes, it seems to be.
But if you are selling a product, for half your competitors, you will be very popular, double your price so its on a par, then don't be surprised if people jump ship.
There are no points for loyalty these days, as the popularity of comparison web sites prove.
People will always look for an alternative. *if* they think someone is taking the p***.

The basic Smugmug package is now cheaper - with unlimited uploads. Hmmmm...

$3.99 a month.

The basic Flickr virtue to me is non-profit image-sharing, ie cultural exchange. It's good for that. You can build a community with posters there that you tangle with. What's out there that's comparable?

I mentioned Ipernity, but it got short shrift.

But's been dirt cheap for so many years, I know it's a 100% hike, but I would say it's a fair price today.

As for the fee doubling is it competitive against their rivals ?
Competitive?
Instagram: No limit
Viewbug: No limit (10 uploads/week)
500px: 2000 images (7 uploads/week)
Facebook: No limit
Those are some of the "free services" currently available... so not competitive there.

Is the $50/yr cost competitive? That kind of depends on what you want/need. If you actually need anything approaching several terabytes of online storage then I would say yes, but to a large extent for most users I would say not. It's an old ploy, sell you something you don't need and won't actually take advantage of... I think they're betting that the 1000 image limit will convince a lot to pay for a pro subscription but never really take advantage of what they're paying for.

Who has read this?
This is what they are saying about the 1000 photo limit for free accounts.
I read it (and most of the other related posts as well). I think most of that one is BS...

1. I don't see how people joining/using the service for storage would have any impact on the "tonality" of the site/service... it would be completely invisible to the rest of us... I certainly never saw it.
2. I never saw evidence of advertiser interests being prioritized over anything else. And wait, 1 TB is a "vast amount of storage?" But they'll sell you "unlimited storage" because you probably need that...
3. Well yeah, maybe...

Competitive?
Those are some of the "free services" currently available... so not competitive there.

Is the $50/yr cost competitive? That kind of depends on what you want/need. If you actually need anything approaching several terabytes of online storage then I would say yes, but to a large extent for most users I would say not. It's an old ploy, sell you something you don't need and won't actually take advantage of... I think they're betting that the 1000 image limit will convince a lot to pay for a pro subscription but never really take advantage of what they're paying for.
None of those examples are comparable, two of them are purely social media platforms that display crap quality and the other two have weekly limits.

Anyway I was asking about competition in the paid arena, seems hard to beat for what they are offering.

Competitive?

To be fair whilst Facebook say no limit and free they limit the number of followers that your posts reach..... unless its a paid ad campaign. I was talking about this with one of my friends recently, it wasn’t until he said it happened that I worked out I hardly ever see posts directly from his page, majority of the one I see are shared by a close friend or his wife.

This thread is going round in circles bringing up the same reasons both for and against.

I'm out.

This thread is going round in circles bringing up the same reasons both for and against.

I'm out.
Not entirely true. But bye, anyway. You're right. to a degree, but let's move on, and seek the light. Abscond as you see fit, but I'm sticking with it, so far.

I seem to remember that at one time Flicker imposed a smaller storage space limit, I never reached that either.
I only upload relatively small files to be shared on forums etc, so I bet the amount of space I use on their server is
next to nothing
It would be good if it could go back to that, want to upload full size megabyte images you pay, those that just want
to share, show mates smaller files limit the space you are allowed

Who has read this?

https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/...&utm_medium=help-forum&utm_content=1000photos

This is what they are saying about the 1000 photo limit for free accounts. Prior to 2013 the photo limit was 200 apparanetly

A bit contradictory.

First, and most crucially, the free terabyte largely attracted members who were drawn by the free storage, not by engagement with other lovers of photography.

Lastly, we looked at our members and found a clear line between Free and Pro accounts: the overwhelming majority of Pros have more than 1,000 photos on Flickr, and more than 97% of Free members have fewer than 1,000.

I'm out.
As robin says this is going round in circles , simple answer . Pay up or shut up

Then basically your not using it to your advantage hiss ,

First off never ever join any group that is post one like three etc . .

Add sensible people to your contacts list as I do either because there Flickr stream is orient end towards the same interests as you or after viewing there profile they got big tits

Explore used to be quite a worthy guide to how you were actually performing, if your one of the 300 a day on there you must be doing summat right

I only fave contacts photos that are actually worthy of a fave or comment if it’s crap they won’t get either unless they have big tits or the photo contains big tits

Now stop being grumpy and pay your 74p a week ,there no pockets in a shroud

Are you serious???............No, not about the "Big Tits" ;)
I mean about the "Explore" situation?...I thought to get one of your images "Explored", you had to play the numbers game? As in - Use heaps of tags, Have as many followers as possible, Dont put your images in too many groups etc.........By sticking to this pattern, all of 100s/1000's of followers, fav the s*** outta your image double quick, boom...your average image gets Explored!

I also thought getting Explored was just a "random" lucky dip, spin of the wheel thing too?!...But hey, what do i know ;)
By the way, yep, you guessed it...........Ive never had one of my images Explored...maybe i need to change my flickr tactics :D
To be fair, i kinda "whore out" my images in Groups, never use tags, only have 366 followers...............Ive got zero chance of getting Explored...But damn it, after 7 years, an uploading worthy images of late....................Explore me Flickr.:rolleyes:

Ive seen several of my flickr contacts, dramatically increase their follower numbers...they now have big number/fav images, an as a result...they get Explored...an with any old image they throw up there!

PS. Ive never fav'ed a single image...but if i like an image, i will take the time to actually write something about that image. To me, fav,ing/liking is just being lazyass!

Totally no idea how there supposed logarithms work , my pics are mainly wildlife nothing special .but I think my explore stands at around the 290 area but not had one for a few years now .

I've been a member of flickr since 2009 and have the grand total of 369 images so the change won't effect me, I don't see any real appeal with the pro benefits so will happily stay on the free account for now and see what happens in the future.

PS. Ive never fav'ed a single image...but if i like an image, i will take the time to actually write something about that image. To me, fav,ing/liking is just being lazyass!

I do "fav" images for two reasons, either because I think it is an outstanding image or because I would like to be able to find the image again. I often use my "faves" page for inspiration and ideas and like being able to quickly go to that page and see all the images that I have faved over the years.

Totally no idea how there supposed logarithms work , my pics are mainly wildlife nothing special .but I think my explore stands at around the 290 area but not had one for a few years now .

A few years now hey, dont worry son, heres a sure fire way of getting you back in the "explore saddle";)
Try this one - Just start to follow as many randoms as you can, go crazy on the numbers.........they will just follow you right back(without even checking out your stream):rolleyes:
Your "favs numbers" will go through the roof...you will get explored......................Leave it for a few months, then drop all your new flickr friends/contacts...most of em will be softarses, they wont drop you...they will just carry on faving you!

I've been a member of flickr since 2009 and have the grand total of 369 images so the change won't effect me, I don't see any real appeal with the pro benefits so will happily stay on the free account for now and see what happens in the future.

I do "fav" images for two reasons, either because I think it is an outstanding image or because I would like to be able to find the image again. I often use my "faves" page for inspiration and ideas and like being able to quickly go to that page and see all the images that I have faved over the years.

Some good ideas there...on the merits of "Flickr Faving".

Not entirely true. But bye, anyway. You're right. to a degree, but let's move on, and seek the light. Abscond as you see fit, but I'm sticking with it, so far.

.... I'm back! I got interested in the discussion of the Explore aspect of Flickr.

Are you serious???............No, not about the "Big Tits" ;)
I mean about the "Explore" situation?...I thought to get one of your images "Explored", you had to play the numbers game? As in - Use heaps of tags, Have as many followers as possible, Dont put your images in too many groups etc.........By sticking to this pattern, all of 100s/1000's of followers, fav the s*** outta your image double quick, boom...your average image gets Explored!

I also thought getting Explored was just a "random" lucky dip, spin of the wheel thing too?!...But hey, what do i know ;)
By the way, yep, you guessed it...........Ive never had one of my images Explored...maybe i need to change my flickr tactics :D
To be fair, i kinda "whore out" my images in Groups, never use tags, only have 366 followers...............Ive got zero chance of getting Explored...But damn it, after 7 years, an uploading worthy images of late....................Explore me Flickr.:rolleyes:

Ive seen several of my flickr contacts, dramatically increase their follower numbers...they now have big number/fav images, an as a result...they get Explored...an with any old image they throw up there!

.... I only have FREE status not PRO, I never tag and in fact often remove any default tags, I fave and sometimes comment on other's images but only if I really like their images irrespective of who they are, but I still get images selected by Explore and usually only after receiving a few faves.

Apart from the welcome ego boost (come on, be honest!) due to the wider exposure Explore does usually increase the number of those following your work but at the same time introduces you to some other photographers whose work you like enough to then decide to follow them. Other photographer's work can both be inspiring and something to aspire to.

I don't know how Explore works but I'm not complaining and it's interesting when someone else, even a bot, curates your work.

My Explore album if anyone is interested, displayed in latest-first timeframe : https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157686132840835

Last edited:
.... I'm back! I got interested in the discussion of the Explore aspect of Flickr.

.... I only have FREE status not PRO, I never tag and in fact often remove any default tags, I fave and sometimes comment on other's images but only if I really like their images irrespective of who they are, but I still get images selected by Explore and usually only after receiving a few faves.

Apart from the welcome ego boost (come on, be honest!) due to the wider exposure Explore does usually increase the number of those following your work but at the same time introduces you to some other photographers whose work you like enough to then decide to follow them. Other photographer's work can both be inspiring and something to aspire to.

I don't know how Explore works but I'm not complaining and it's interesting when someone else, even a bot, curates your work.

My Explore album if anyone is interested, displayed in latest first timeframe : https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157686132840835

Hey..................i thought you was "out" Robin?! :rolleyes:

Your back "in" now then?....................................to self promote an stuff...its cool, we all do it.

Hey..................i thought you was "out" Robin?! :rolleyes:

Your back "in" now then?....................................to self promote an stuff...its cool, we all do it.

.... I said in my first line why I was back :rolleyes:

I linked to my Explore album because I thought it primarily relevant to the discussion for others to see examples of selection by Explore. I don't sell my work so why would I need to promote? But I'm always happy to have my ego stroked :D Who isn't!?

I linked to my Explore album because I thought it primarily relevant to the discussion for others to see examples of selection by Explore. I don't sell my work so why would I need to promote? But I'm always happy to have my ego stroked :D Who isn't!?

You can self promote, without monetary gains(well, you can in my world). ;)

As i said Robin its cool...Ego's/Photography, go hand in hand.

Im not normally much of an active forumite, but ive been rained off work today :rolleyes: so excuse my light hearted sarcasm in my last couple of posts on this thread.

Admit it robin your just a TP slut :naughty:

A few years now hey, dont worry son, heres a sure fire way of getting you back in the "explore saddle";)
Try this one - Just start to follow as many randoms as you can, go crazy on the numbers.........they will just follow you right back(without even checking out your stream):rolleyes:
Your "favs numbers" will go through the roof...you will get explored......................Leave it for a few months, then drop all your new flickr friends/contacts...most of em will be softarses, they wont drop you...they will just carry on faving you!
Wow I love the son bit much appreciated as I fast approach 73 :runaway::runaway::runaway: I don’t think your idea will work for some reason , though I see where your coming from , but if you want to try and cheat the system feel free to go ahead . I can at least hold my head high in that respect mine are all done on merit as far as I’m aware . ....

And with all the furore the new charges have brought there will probably only be 10 people left posting to Flickr :beer:

Wow I love the son bit much appreciated as I fast approach 73 :runaway::runaway::runaway: I don’t think your idea will work for some reason , though I see where your coming from , but if you want to try and cheat the system feel free to go ahead . I can at least hold my head high in that respect mine are all done on merit as far as I’m aware . ....

And with all the furore the new charges have brought there will probably only be 10 people left posting to Flickr :beer:

Yeah, i figured you an Robin were a couple of "wrinklies"...by the way you 2 were "holding hands" on this thread! ;)

Dont worry, im mid 50's, so im not far behind you old farts:rolleyes:

My Explore album if anyone is interested, displayed in latest-first timeframe : https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157686132840835

How do you know if your images has been explored. I doubt I have every been explored but without a Pro account and without the stat's how do you know?

I'm not too bothered about being explored but some of the crap I see in explore, I do wonder what it takes to get there.

To upgrade to PRO is $49 USD , however if you enter coupon code FLICKRPRO30 at checkout you get 30 % off which means you pay £27.85.

How do you know if your images has been explored. I doubt I have every been explored but without a Pro account and without the stat's how do you know?

I'm not too bothered about being explored but some of the crap I see in explore, I do wonder what it takes to get there.

Exactly this - I've no idea if I've ever been explored. Although I've been pro for years, I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've checked my stats. OK, maybe two hands now as I've just had a look now. But when I've occasionally had a look at explore, I've been blown away by the mediocrity of some of the stuff on there. Currently on there is a picture of a Volvo lorry taken from the side of the road and a picture of tree packs of tissues - really? OK, there is some pretty good stuff on there as well, but I thought that the intention of explore was to showcase the best and most inspiring work, however I've clearly massively misunderstood.

I suspect that Explore is a random selection algorithm. It's pretty meaningless.

Since Flickr is open more or less to anyone, it's inevitable that most of the material there will be crap. So you have to hunt for stuff that isn't. And very few Flickr groups are properly curated, which isn't surprising because who'd have the time?

So it's a long way different from opening a printed or on-line journal where what goes in is subject to editorial control.

But there's consistently fine work in there if you can find it.

Surely you jest sir?!

One or two of my contacts often gets "Explored" (that sounds so wrong!!!) o_O but anyway, this is what seems to happen to them(or their image!).
If they generally get on average, say a couple of hundred views for said image...when said image gets Explored...then their views for that image goes crazyass!!
1000's...tens of 1000's of views can happen. Also, they then get a whole heap of "Flickr radoms" fav'ing said image, along with comments like - "Wonderful, outstanding, have a very good weekend, kind regards dear friend"... s*** like that. They will also get heaps of invites from "group admins" to submit there explored image.

I know this because, if i was to make an early comment on their image(before it gets Explored) then when i click "Recent Activity" on my Stream...all of their stuff comes up on my feed, and sometimes all those "Glittery Groups" (you know the ones...I invite your image to my group, but you must praise 17 other pics to join) can be bloody annoying at times.

Last edited:

https://bighugelabs.com/scout.php

Surely you jest sir?!

One or two of my contacts often gets "Explored" (that sounds so wrong!!!) o_O but anyway, this is what seems to happen to them(or their image!).
If they generally get on average, say a couple of hundred views for said image...when said image gets Explored...then their views for that image goes crazyass!!
1000's...tens of 1000's of views can happen. Also, they then get a whole heap of "Flickr radoms" fav'ing said image, along with comments like - "Wonderful, outstanding, have a very good weekend, kind regards dear friend"... s*** like that. They will also get heaps of invites from "group admins" to submit there explored image.

I know this because, if i was to make an early comment on their image(before it gets Explored) then when i click "Recent Activity" on my Stream...all of their stuff comes up on my feed, and sometimes all those "Glittery Groups" (you know the ones...I invite your image to my group, but you must praise 17 other pics to join) can be bloody annoying at times.

Guess I've never been explored then.

Back