Hmm, time to dump flickr and finally build my own website?

Well that confirms it then.

Pity that you have to go to a third party website, especially for those paying £50/year for stats. I guess i'll be staying a free user for now. Only have 200 odd images so don't see any benefit of being Pro. Not at the moment anyway.

None of those examples are comparable, two of them are purely social media platforms that display crap quality and the other two have weekly limits.

Anyway I was asking about competition in the paid arena, seems hard to beat for what they are offering.
Like I said, it depends on what you want/need... If it's smaller storage there are other options (many free), if it's sharing the occasional good image then social media type services might be (more) suitable, if it's marketing/promotion then other services are probably much better.
But if you actually need the large ("unlimited") storage space then flick'r is probably the best/economical choice. And if you just want the ease of cross posting images (i.e. auto code/resizing/etc) then flick'r is the best I know of.

Well that confirms it then.

Pity that you have to go to a third party website, especially for those paying £50/year for stats. I guess i'll be staying a free user for now. Only have 200 odd images so don't see any benefit of being Pro. Not at the moment anyway.
Pretty sure that's part of the stats you get... can't remember for sure, I quit pro service last year (was pro from the beginning).

Guess I've never been explored then.

Dont sweat it, neither have i. ;)

Damn it, all this talk of Explore...ive just checked out what i assume is todays explored images(thats the 1st time ive done that in at least 5 years).
Nothings changed either...several great images......But also plenty of crap images made it too.

I mean c'mon... poor basic images of cars, trains, buses, trucks etc.
Images of ordinary toys...worst of all, images of bloody action figures/toys...an some pics of SGI/CGI or whatever you call it art/people.......................I rest my case.

I've just renewed my PRO subscription for a year for $34.99 (about £28) using a 30% discount coupon code easily found on the net.
A bargain in my opinion.
(I admit I haven't read all the posts on this thread so apologies if I have repeated what someone else has already posted).

Back towards the beginning Flickr seemed like it made more sense... getting explored seemed to be a bit more "relevant." I made many sales and had more than a few images published from posting them there... that has mostly gone away and I don't see any way back (some of that is just the market/trends IMO).

How do you know if your images has been explored. I doubt I have every been explored but without a Pro account and without the stat's how do you know?

I'm not too bothered about being explored but some of the crap I see in explore, I do wonder what it takes to get there.

.... I always receive an invitation to place my Explore's selected image on their group page. I have only ever been a FREE member. You cannot ask to join Explore or post on their page without an invitation. It's always from the same person and so I assume he is a Flickr staff member. As said before, I do not sell my work nor do any tagging and so these factors don't have an influence on Explore's selections.

Last edited:
but I would say it's a fair price today.
I'd say it was a fair price ...

Use heaps of tags,
One is enough if you get it right :D The most viewed image of mine is an Armadillo, that I tagged "Armoured Dildo" just for the hell of it.
You have to wonder WTF they were searching for in the first place ?

I'd say it was a fair price ...

One is enough if you get it right :D The most viewed image of mine is an Armadillo, that I tagged "Armoured Dildo" just for the hell of it.
You have to wonder WTF they were searching for in the first place ?

I've come across some right iffy stuff on there in the past ... completely by accident, honest! :whistle:

I have 8,123 photos on there using just 0.2% of my allowance (all lo res copies) and have no intention of paying $49.99 USD to keep the service so it's goodbye from me on Flickr.

I've come across some right iffy stuff on there in the past ... completely by accident, honest! :whistle:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But it really is a picture of an armadillo, honest guv :D

Out of curiosity, is there anything anywhere near as good as Flickr as I use it alongside photobucket which to be brutally honest is pants but for uploading onto TP Flickr does seem to be the best option.

If there is, I've yet to find it, been on Flickr 10yr now. I think I'd miss it if it were gone. I've gotten some sound advice in groups on there, back when discussions were actually a big thing, seen some fantastic images [and some disturbing ones] and it's a nice way to look back through my own little journey. I will very probably just look for a discount and sub to pro.

Look at it from another p.o.v today I had a special offer from pixys the image theft website which I took up , it now covers my entire Flickr stream of over 7000 images , if they had been removed then there would be no way of matching pics and catching up with the image thieves . I only need one match to pay out to cover a few years of pro membership . .., more than on3 way to skin a cat if you think it through . At my age this hobby is my lifeline and I’ll be damned If I let it slip away for a few Bob a week

Look at it from another p.o.v today I had a special offer from pixys the image theft website which I took up , it now covers my entire Flickr stream of over 7000 images , if they had been removed then there would be no way of matching pics and catching up with the image thieves . I only need one match to pay out to cover a few years of pro membership . .., more than on3 way to skin a cat if you think it through . At my age this hobby is my lifeline and I’ll be damned If I let it slip away for a few Bob a week

But on the other hand, I also have a pixsy account and the only matches I’ve ever had are from websites that display your image on their website via the Flickr API. Nothing you can do about that.

Dont sweat it, neither have i. ;)

Damn it, all this talk of Explore...ive just checked out what i assume is todays explored images(thats the 1st time ive done that in at least 5 years).
Nothings changed either...several great images......But also plenty of crap images made it too.

I mean c'mon... poor basic images of cars, trains, buses, trucks etc.
Images of ordinary toys...worst of all, images of bloody action figures/toys...an some pics of SGI/CGI or whatever you call it art/people.......................I rest my case.

So you saw the stunning image of the Safeway facial tissues too then? I was tempted to comment but thought better of it. Some did though:

b3lak 5h

r u kidding me this looks like it was shot through a blurry cum screen

Wasn't there a thread about an auto correct search for Tattoo Park instead of Tatton Park?

But on the other hand, I also have a pixsy account and the only matches I’ve ever had are from websites that display your image on their website via the Flickr API. Nothing you can do about that.
I had well over 2 grand from them last year , I’m a believer .

Could you give more details of how you got this (apologies if this has already been posted and I missed it) ?
Yep just sign up to pixsy.com and let them have access to your Flickr stream or wherever your photos are . If you find commercial use matches from countries where it can be recovered from they then sue them on your behalf , taking a fee of 50% but that’s far better than doing it yourself , I had several payouts last year with two exceeding £500 . There website and search engine seems to be improving year on year to . The first 500 searches are free after that it’s a sliding scale of subscription . And don’t think that oh my photos aren’t good enough one of mine was a holiday snap in j.peg from a 12mp bridge camera taken in 2002 and stolen by a international travel company , in fact travel companies are one of the worst offenders

Last edited:
That's good... when I used them their algorithm for finding matches seemed pretty generic... a lot of very poor "matches."
I did about fifteen new ones yesterday and it was a doddle

I did about fifteen new ones yesterday and it was a doddle

I gave it a quick try, it did come up with some mis-matches, but others were absoloute definite. Thing is, some of the sites when I look into them just loop you back to Flickr, how to know if any are actually worth chasing up?

I gave it a quick try, it did come up with some mis-matches, but others were absoloute definite. Thing is, some of the sites when I look into them just loop you back to Flickr, how to know if any are actually worth chasing up?
Commercial use is the only place where there's any money... they do have filter options for the results. If it's non-commercial and the use is in violation of your copyright then a cease&desist (take down notice) is about the only thing that can be done (first step anyway).

Commercial use is the only place where there's any money... they do have filter options for the results. If it's non-commercial and the use is in violation of your copyright then a cease&desist (take down notice) is about the only thing that can be done (first step anyway).

I tried to test it on one that states it was used for commercial use, but I have to fill in more details before I can progress. Must look into it more later - some images I shot in Euro Disney a few years back that are very distinct were included

It has to have been used commercially , and not just a bot upload , , also ensur3 its your image that’s being used not just a similar looking one

Yep just sign up to pixsy.com and let them have access to your Flickr stream or wherever your photos are . If you find commercial use matches from countries where it can be recovered from they then sue them on your behalf , taking a fee of 50% but that’s far better than doing it yourself , I had several payouts last year with two exceeding £500 . There website and search engine seems to be improving year on year to . The first 500 searches are free after that it’s a sliding scale of subscription . And don’t think that oh my photos aren’t good enough one of mine was a holiday snap in j.peg from a 12mp bridge camera taken in 2002 and stolen by a international travel company , in fact travel companies are one of the worst offenders
Thanks for that, sadly no real matches so far, several fake ones. One fake one was a photo that someone else had taken from exactly the same angle as me, which is I suppose something that will happen with so many photographers in the world.

Last edited:
It has to have been used commercially , and not just a bot upload , , also ensur3 its your image that’s being used not just a similar looking one

Unless someone was standing by my side using the exact same settings and then processed the exact same way, there's a few that are definitely mine. One in particular of the castle, it's a silhouette with a very distinct sky backdrop, impossible for anyone else to have shot exact same. I'll have to look into the sites using it, see if they are commercial.

Strewth Jeff @the black fox
I just signed up to pixys, and immediately they have found 30% of my images have been used elsewhere. Alamy are a big cuplrit, but every country in the world seems to be dabbling in my images.
Now to try and understand what to do next!!!

JEEZ Jeff, 391 matches. Submitting the first case has taken me over 10 minutes to fill in all their recurring forms. That's just not cost effective. 65 hours to fill in all the details?
I thought it was automatic?

Once you have your profile complete it should only take a minute for each case, just done a couple there. I don't expect anything form it, just want to see how it works out

And don’t think that oh my photos aren’t good enough one of mine was a holiday snap in j.peg from a 12mp bridge camera taken in 2002 and stolen by a international travel company , in fact travel companies are one of the worst offenders
Blimey Jeff! it seems you have started something here (y)
I'm not going to try it though, I couldn't stand the disappointment knowing no one wants to nick my images :(

Although a year a so ago, I was fairly convinced the graphics on the back of a certain van was one of my images ..

Last edited:
It`s just like the Pro Flickr, Nothing is for free with Pixsy
That's why they charge 50%. Looks like all they do is send out computer generated letters after I've done all the work.
Doesn't seem to equate to a great hourly rate of pay.....for me!

If its the BBC, its gotta be worth a shot surely?
Dunno. I suspect they've been using it on their local programmes. This is in Brum, and I'm not so haven't seen it. Usual thing - give a name check.

I'll have a further look tonight but it does seem like a lot of work at this end. Every picture usuage I have to complete an online form then I get an e mail with another form to fill in.

Nowhere near as simple and easy as I thought.

Well that was curious, ok so it killed the cat but hey :D
Wildlife image in Japan "This website has been identified as not viable for Pixsy resolution"
One image being used by local media 110% sure its mine as there is a slight anomaly in the image.
I went back to Flickr to treble check, went back to Pixsy and the image is no longer there ;)
There are also a few on TP that are being ripped off, onto other web sites..

Oh well looks like I'm going to have to continue to go to work :D

Back