Hmmmm, a Panasonic FF might be nice...

So if this is able to take m4/3 lenses via an adapter and it was lets say 50mp sensor, what would the mp count be reduced to to get the 2x crop? Any ideas? I'm not sure how its worked out.
12.5mp

Just seen this line on the page

Sigma and Leica will make cameras and lenses with L-mount too

Looks like an attack on the established makers new mirrorless cameras.

I'm liking the sound of a cheaper model. Leica L glass might be stupidly expensive, but if Sigma are also joining in and Panasonic are making their own lenses then things could get very interesting indeed. IBIS too! How much can we trust in that? as up until now the strong rumour was NO IBIS. These might well be the kind of cameras that you only need1-2 lenses and you're good [bit like the Fuji GFX] Cannot see them being aimed at the sports togs.

TBH, if Panasonic had just used the G9 shell and controls and stuck a FF sensor in there it would be a proper beast. If this new model is going to be even better than that, I'd be scared if I were SoNiCan

Last edited:
He talks a lot of hot air. Not too many are excited that it's a Leica SL mount, those lenses cost a fortune.
But sigma lenses dont Keith , and don’t forget Olympus still have kept very quite , the one positive thing I do see is that with ALL the major players trying to grab a slice of the F/F mirrorless market the crazy launch prices are going to erode very quickly , don’t be a first responder

I'm liking the sound of a cheaper model. Leica L glass might be stupidly expensive, but if Sigma are also joining in and Panasonic are making their own lenses then things could get very interesting indeed. IBIS too! How much can we trust in that? as up until now the strong rumour was NO IBIS. These might well be the kind of cameras that you only need1-2 lenses and you're good [bit like the Fuji GFX] Cannot see them being aimed at the sports togs.

TBH, if Panasonic had just used the G9 shell and controls and stuck a FF sensor in there it would be a proper beast. If this new model is going to be even better than that, I'd be scared if I were SoNiCan
But sigma lenses dont Keith , and don’t forget Olympus still have kept very quite , the one positive thing I do see is that with ALL the major players trying to grab a slice of the F/F mirrorless market the crazy launch prices are going to erode very quickly , don’t be a first responder

I know, I said it earlier up. That might be the game changer. I mean not many will want to buy it for Leica glass. Those lenses are like £4K a piece

We now have talk of Sigma making bodies as well as lenses, three ranges of bodies, three ranges of lenses and three R&D departments working on the same mount and system.

If it has dual card slots and ibis that would put it level with Sony and above the other two on desirable specification

Last edited:
If it has dual card slots and ibis that would put it level with Sony and above the other two on desirable specification
And if they add the improvements of a normal Panasonic it will be way ahead

if they can get the same level of ibis into full frame that will be amazing, id love to see oly join with them again

Seems to be interesting rumours with this Panasonic announcement. If they are working in collaboration with Leica and Sigma it looks to me like there taking the format of MFT but applying it to full frame which I don't think is a bad thing. Plus it means it'll be an open mount possibly where anyone can produce a camera and lens. I think the consumer will be the winner here.

if they can get the same level of ibis into full frame that will be amazing, id love to see oly join with them again
That’s the one that’s puzzling me seeing as how they work together on MFT

That’s the one that’s puzzling me seeing as how they work together on MFT
I must admit although I love the fact oly/panny mft kit was interchangeable I never really understood how that came to be, is it all joint decisions? Or perhaps just an agreement for the lens mount share for a set period of time, maybe this contract has run out (if it ever existed)

I must admit although I love the fact oly/panny mft kit was interchangeable I never really understood how that came to be, is it all joint decisions? Or perhaps just an agreement for the lens mount share for a set period of time, maybe this contract has run out (if it ever existed)
As of the 2006 Photo Marketing Association Annual Convention and Trade Show, the Four Thirds consortium consisted the following companies:

This does not imply a commitment to end user products by each company. Historically, only Leica, Olympus, and Panasonic have produced bodies. Olympus and Leica/Panasonic have made dedicated Four Thirds lenses, and Sigma makes adapted versions of their "DC" lenses for APS-C format DSLRs. Kodak once sold sensors to Olympus for use in their Four Thirds bodies, but the newer Olympus Four Thirds cameras used Panasonic sensors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_system

It's a minor issue, admittedly, but do Panasonic but minimum shutter speed control in Auto ISO in any of their bodies?

I couldn't live without that now.

It's a minor issue, admittedly, but do Panasonic but minimum shutter speed control in Auto ISO in any of their bodies?

I couldn't live without that now.

The G9 and GH5 have this feature. The lower end bodies do not. It's a function I would personally never make use of either way. I'm still not sure why they haven't added it in a FW update to the cheaper models though, as a fair amount of people seem to want it. The likes of my G80 can at least use Auto ISO in manual mode. You just set the shutter you want and let the camera choose the ISO

How the focus works will be key too, if they've got fast focus and tracking or not will matter. I don't know if they have good eye detect but the people with A7's and A9's seem to think it's a game changer which is an over used phrase but I think it is a game changer in this instance.

They won't be out until early 2019, so plenty of time to save up I guess. The 24mp one interests me, will have to see what the pricing on the lenses are like, if there will be any kind of adapters for other glass etc ..

Well. Kinda makes Nikon and Canon's efforts a bit amateur. Pricing is going to be key I guess.

Agreed, if it's priced right, i reckon they could clean up with this.

I'm actually more worried about the lens pricing. L lenses are stupidly expensive, unless you really like MF and third party offerings, even then they are not cheap. What are Panasonic going to do? Bring out similar lenses but a lot cheaper? Can't see Leica being into that

Well. Kinda makes Nikon and Canon's efforts a bit amateur. Pricing is going to be key I guess.
and sonys tbh, if the ibis is as good as their m/43

Last edited:
They have Dual IS on the list of specs, they're not going to put a lesser IBIS system in their new 'Pro' line than they have in their MFT series. And that, is very juicy indeed, nobody does IBIS better than Olympus and Panasonic to this date.

They have Dual IS on the list of specs, they're not going to put a lesser IBIS system in their new 'Pro' line than they have in their MFT series. And that, is very juicy indeed, nobody does IBIS better than Olympus and Panasonic to this date.
defiantly, it was really hard to give up my oly m43 because of how good the ibis is, now that on FF-------------------

I'll be impressed if they can stabilise such a large sensor as well as the m43 cams.

I'll be impressed if they can stabilise such a large sensor as well as the m43 cams.

Fuji are attempting it on their highest end cam to date, a MF 100mp beast costing $10K ... and it's apparently got IBIS. If you look at the size of the current Panasonic G9, it's not that hard imagine a FF sensor with the ability shift arund in there, and these S bodies may be a little bigger to accommodate it better again

Fuji are attempting it on their highest end cam to date, a MF 100mp beast costing $10K ... and it's apparently got IBIS. If you look at the size of the current Panasonic G9, it's not that hard imagine a FF sensor with the ability shift arund in there, and these S bodies may be a little bigger to accommodate it better again

L mount is quite a small diameter though.

L mount is quite a small diameter though.

Hmm, they do make a point of stating 'Dual IS, body and lens, maybe it'll be just 3-axis, which would be a shame. Better than no IBIS of course, but with their rep for excellent 5-axis ... it's what people want

Back