Hmmmm, a Panasonic FF might be nice...

Hmm, they do make a point of stating 'Dual IS, body and lens, maybe it'll be just 3-axis, which would be a shame. Better than no IBIS of course, but with their rep for excellent 5-axis ... it's what people want
the 3 axis is fine by me for stills, worked wanders on my little oly 10.

Hmm, they do make a point of stating 'Dual IS, body and lens, maybe it'll be just 3-axis, which would be a shame. Better than no IBIS of course, but with their rep for excellent 5-axis ... it's what people want

Hopefully, Sony has dual stabilisation, ibis and OSS in lens.

the 3 axis is fine by me for stills, worked wanders on my little oly 10.

It's not bad but it's at least a stop behind 5-axis, if not more. I had the EM5, the original 5 axis cam, and even that was excellent for stability. That preceded the em10, but it was a higher end model, they gave the 5-axis next to the EM1.

Hopefully, Sony has dual stabilisation, ibis and OSS in lens.

Panasonic already use it too, but you still get 5-axis from the body only with non IS lenses, even adapted ones, which is great.

Last edited:
It's not bad but it's at least a stop behind 5-axis, if not more. I had the EM5, the original 5 axis cam, and even that was excellent for stability. That preceded the em10, but it was a higher end model, they gave the 5-axis next to the EM1.

Panasonic already use it too, but you still get 5-axis from the body only with non IS lenses, even adapted ones, which is great.
the 3 axis oly stabilization was better the the sony a7r11 I had buy a fair margin, no idea how many axis on that sony. btw that's with Sony native glass, with is.
but time will tell how good this is. The biggy is with lots of new options on the market its great for us end users.

Let’s wait and see how good the system is when it’s released.
A lot thought that Nikon & Canon would equal or surpass Sony’s offerings and yet here we are.
I think Panasonic are in a better position to complete with Sony compared to both Canon & Nikon..... need the full release specifications to see.

the 3 axis oly stabilization was better the the sony a7r11 I had buy a fair margin, no idea how many axis on that sony. btw that's with Sony native glass, with is.
but time will tell how good this is. The biggy is with lots of new options on the market its great for us end users.

Afaik Sony's IBIS is 5-axis, but it is shifting a much larger sensor. This is why people are a little skeptical about Panasonic including it, will it be more like Sony's? that will disappoint some who might upgrade from the likes of the G9, GH5, Olympus EM1 mkII etc ... who are used to that level of stabilization

Let’s wait and see how good the system is when it’s released.
A lot thought that Nikon & Canon would equal or surpass Sony’s offerings and yet here we are.
I think Panasonic are in a better position to complete with Sony compared to both Canon & Nikon..... need the full release specifications to see.

Well if we don't speculate we may as well close all of these threads :p

think this will spank the Sony :p

Thing is...

Early 2019 could mean June 2019, that’s 9 months from now. Sony can announce the A9mk2 by then with the same 9 month lead time for it to be release the following March which makes it exactly 3 years since the A9 came out.

CAF? Nooooooooo

It says 3 axis tilt, not flipped screen tilt.

It doesn’t mention full sensor 4K/60.

Any Eye-Af?

Leica lenses I can rule out completely, it’s way too expensive.

Sigma can adapt their Art lenses to it but it should be just like adapting it to the Sony FE.

Sensor unknown.

Battery life unknown.

FPS unknown.

AF unknown.

Plus it’s a 1st generation camera, so I don’t expect it to be amazing amazing. It should be good but I don’t think it will spank the Sony...not before Sony can spank right back around that time :p

Ps too many cooks and all that is also a concern.

Last edited:
Thing is...

Early 2019 could mean June 2019, that’s 9 months from now. Sony can announce the A9mk2 by then with the same 9 month lead time for it to be release the following March which makes it exactly 3 years since the A9 came out.

CAF? Nooooooooo

It says 3 axis tilt, not flipped screen tilt.

It doesn’t mention full sensor 4K/60.

Any Eye-Af?

Leica lenses I can rule out completely, it’s way too expensive.

Sigma can adapt their Art lenses to it but it should be just like adapting it to the Sony FE.

Sensor unknown.

Battery life unknown.

FPS unknown.

AF unknown.

Plus it’s a 1st generation camera, so I don’t expect it to be amazing amazing. It should be good but I don’t think it will spank the Sony...not before Sony can spank right back around that time :p

Ps too many cooks and all that is also a concern.
thanks Ray,though if im honest was trying to bait Jonney and Riz :D

Well if we don't speculate we may as well close all of these threads :p

(y) :D But there's so little to go on, that it's speculation on what we can speculate about.

They're making some bold claims, but does anybody really believe Panasonic can beat Canikson straight out of the trap? I was expecting something heavily video-centric, something that Panasonic already does well, but if they're going toe-to-toe on full-frame with the established market leaders - and hoping to win with a me-too camera and a mismatched range of Sigma/Leica/Panny lenses - well, good luck with that :eek:

Sounds to me like the three company bosses got together on the golf course, had too much saki in the clubhouse, and came up with a masterplan...

Last edited:
(y) :D But there's so little to go on, that it's speculation on what we can speculate about.

They're making some bold claims, but does anybody really believe Panasonic can beat Canikson straight out of the trap? I was expecting something heavily video-centric, something that Panasonic already does well, but if they're going toe-to-toe on full-frame with the established market leaders - and hoping to win with a me-too camera and a range of Sigma lenses and Leica lenses - well, good luck with that :eek:

Sounds to me like the three company bosses got together on the golf course, had too much saki in the clubhouse, and came up with a masterplan...

True, kind of annoying that they don't even give a solid release date. I'm sure we'll know a lot more about these cameras over the next few months. I can always keep saving on the side, if it's not as amazing as we expect, well maybe the others will already be reduced in price by then :D I wouldn't be in any rush to jump at any of them yet, even if I had the cash spare. I like that Panasonic are [so far] saying these cameras are more photography-centric, as I personally don't care about who 'wins' this race, if it's video features that make up the differences. I think there will be a place for all of them. Look at Fuji, they're sticking to APSC, and then leap frogging all the FF shenanigans with MF for their higher end too. I like their style.

Last edited:
thanks Ray,though if im honest was trying to bait Jonney and Riz :D

No need to bait me, I’m sticking with Sony... pre-ordered the FE 24mm f1.4 GM :D lol
Out of all the recent body press announcements, the Fuji XT-3 has interested me the most.

They're making some bold claims, but does anybody really believe Panasonic can beat Canikson straight out of the trap? I was expecting something heavily video-centric, something that Panasonic already does well, but if they're going toe-to-toe on full-frame with the established market leaders - and hoping to win with a me-too camera and a mismatched range of Sigma/Leica/Panny lenses - well, good luck with that :eek:

But wait, there's more! A new Sigma full-frame mirrorless, using a Foveon sensor and L-mount lenses https://www.dpreview.com/news/4798649806/sigma-to-take-foveon-full-frame-and-move-to-l-mount

The second comment beneath the article: "Is there any SA-mount user out there? Or are they a myth?" :D I don't know anyone who's ever owned one, but I'm sure they do exist.

More to the point, Foveon is a dead end. Nobody wants to know :(

Yes and no. They're coming at it from a better starting point as the G1 was 2008 - 10 years experience in mirrorless cameras now.
If they can make all the tech from the G9/GH5 work with a full frame sensor they'll be on to a winner

I agree. The current line up of Panasonic cameras are already excellent but some won't count that just because of the smaller sensor, which is a pity. The tech was already there, as was their partnership with Leica [already a bunch of nice Pana-Leica lenses out there, using one myself] it's just a larger sensor this time out, I doubt Pany are fumbling about wondering what to do next, they have 100 years experience behind them in general when it comes to technology. They might be holding back on intricate details as they got to see the others step out first. But they didn't make this up in the last month, I reckon they've had the ability to do something like this a long time now. They will have been eyeing Sony for the past 5-6yrs too, probably have a stack of A7III bodies stripped down and under microscopes at their RND since it was released :D

More to the point, Foveon is a dead end. Nobody wants to know :(

I don't know much about it tbh, only it's a sensor that possibly best replicates film? has incredible detail, with no aliasing but it sucks in low light apparently

If it's the same one as in the Leica... didn't that one suffer when recovering shadows?

Was it not said that Panasonic are making the sensor themselves? pretty sure I read that earlier

Dunno. Time will tell.

In the meantime Steve Huff gives reasons why Panasonic will blow your socks off...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2018/...nasonic-s1-and-s1r-will-knock-your-socks-off/

He's dreaming.

All we've seen so far is an unremarkable camera. That doesn't mean it won't be any good, or even very good, but without some killer features or major performance aspect it'll end up just going head-to-head with the big payers and get beaten up. Like Samsung did with their NX1 DSLR, an excellent camera, even market leading in some respects, but it needed more to make its mark where the traditional players hold sway and Samsung simply decided the prize wasn't worth fighting for in a declining market.

The new 'universal' L mount (which isn't universal at all) is just as likely to end up causing confusion amongst the three different lens providers (all with their own agendas) and putting people off. Who want's a mismatched system, and if you do, there's already Sigma and Tamron and half a dozen other third party manufacturers but there's only ever one reason to buy those, and that's price, otherwise it's OEM every time. We've had a so-called Universal mount before, Pentax K, that was picked up by any number of second-division camera makers who had no lens range of their own. Where are they now?

IMHO, Panasonic's only hope is to do something amazing on the video front, but even then they'll not make many friends around here.

Samsung didn't have 10 years of mirrorless behind them, I think they'll do alright. It'll be out of reach for me no doubt as I learned a long time ago not to spend tonnes on a picture taking box. I don't think they will care who buys on here to be fair :D

As explained many times he usually only writes about stuff he likes so praising almost everything he writes about isn't entirely surprising and to be fair he does occasionally state what's wrong with kit and what he doesn't like.
tbh alan I thinks he lies about that, anyone with so many links on his site for £donations is only in it for one reason

It's a minor issue, admittedly, but do Panasonic but minimum shutter speed control in Auto ISO in any of their bodies?

I couldn't live without that now.
Pretty sure you can do that in manual mode , will try later and update

Just watched the video of it from photokina , the screen at the moment appears to be just a tilting one that pulls to one side , the launch date is given as q1 and stated as being feb,March . The rep was also quite honest in stating there out to take market share off the big boys , and one other point not many have noticed is that sigma will be quietly getting ready a host of lenses for launch day , hopefully in a lot of cases some of the newer ART series will just need a new mount . . 2019 is gonna be a interesting year

the one thats being shown at photokina is just a pre-production mock up , I doubt the production one will be anything like it . and if they are pulling the same strokes as canon and nikon before them there will already be several different versions out in the field now being tested out under strict non disclosure agreements to decide on the best version to produce .

beats me as to how so many seemingly knowledgeable people can come up with so many cockwomble theories about something thats not even on the market yet .

a year ago with my big canon gear I would have been taking the p*** as well at someone using a MFT system . but my eyes have been opened now

Back