Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

I'd like a mju. It's one of those cameras I keep an eye out for in charity shops and boot sales. Good find for £3.

The local Friday car booty. No cameras worthy of a close look. However, I did buy a nice little book: Straightforward Printmaking by L.A Mannheim, 1951 impression. What makes it especially nice is that someone left a loose print inside it, and you can see a guy in the background using his box camera. It also had a Brighton Division Civil Defence Corps bookmark "Are you doing your bit to preserve Peace?". I knocked the seller down to 50p.

So nowt worth picking up on my boot sale detour on the way to work bar a roll of hp5. the guy wanted 3 quid for a roll that's out of date.. what is it with boot sale sellers some are overcharging for tat and some don't have a clue and charge peanuts

Well if you don't mind not getting the early bargains and get to the bootie late there can be some fantastic bargains when the seller just wants to get rid of stuff e.g. A3 printer all boxed with accessories. manual and spare ink for 20p (got that)...pentax Espio for 10p (oh no I don't need another compact)...Zenit with 44-2 and 135mm lens for £1 (got that) and I could go on ;)

I was good. No purchases. Today I spotted a Pentax K1000, an old Kodak folder, a 110, a boxed Polaroid, and an Olympus Trip 35 in case. I was tempted by the Trip which was two quid. The selenium seemed to work - but when I tried changing aperture, the lens started to part from the body. I quickly put it down and moved away.

Got a tatty no 2 Brownie for a pound yesterday and for £6, a pretty minty 620 box which I can see to frame through and every thing!

Passed on a comet for a fiver but only because I'd spent my play money, it had a half used roll of film in it that was calling to me!

Bought a zenit e with 2 helios lenses, a 2X converter and a fujiyama wide angle adapter for a tenner off a guy with a box of cameras. They were his dad's who had passed away. I had a good look through and found a few rolls of film that looked to be used. I advised him to get them processed and gave him my number and a price guide.
He had an om 10 that was a bit scruffy but the lenses were ok. I hope he brings the films in.

Got me a nice little find on the charity shop on Great MAavern station this week.

Nice little Halina 500 - Oly Trip-a-like. Absolutley mint in black leather ever ready case! £6 - happy chappie! :)

Picked up a Weston Master 5 from a local charidee shop yesterday - battered case but the meter's in mint condition, and working well :)

However, I've since decided that I just won't do it justice, so it's up on a well known auction site

Last edited by a moderator:
Wandered into a few charity shops today and found this Pentax K1000 in a leather case with a 50mm f1.4 lens.

It's in superb condition and the light meter seems to be accurate when compared to my DSLR.

DSC_4337 by simon ess, on Flickr

DSC_4338 by simon ess, on Flickr

DSC_4340 by simon ess, on Flickr

£10

Yep, I'm chuffed with this one.

This was the Douglas Macmillan shop up 'Castle.

(That's Newcastle under Lyme for non-Stokies) :)

Simon,

The lens sell for between £60 and £100 depending on condition and yours look superb. Great find.

Thanks both. I know nothing about Pentax but just had a gut feeling that this was a bargain.

Film loaded and ready to go.

I've just ordered a Cosina 24mm f2.8 for it.

Got a good feeling about this camera.

IIRC the K1000 was the staple of photography courses, a real workhorse, a bigger version of the MX. And as said, that 50mm Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 is a cracker.

I think I did my photography at uni with a k1000. They had about 10 of them. Having a working meter was a real novelty after my dad's pentacon that was a bit mental in many ways.

Great find - all the charity shops I ever visit have tat for cameras, no f/1.4 lenses! It's a later K1000 model, if you didn't know.

That Pentax looks great.

Having read about the various charity shop finds on here I went for a trawl of the local shops and not one had a single camera for sale.:(

Great find on that Pentax. Only one of the charity shops I've popped into in Reading has had any cameras, a battered old Zenit and a couple of 35mm compacts, but they relocated and didn't have any cameras when they reopened.

I vaguely recall that someone once posted a rather nice medium-format kit on here that was being sold by the British Heart Foundation through ebay which offered collection from their Salisbury shop. That shop's near our office there but last time I visited a couple of weeks ago they only had a few compacts and a Cosina SLR.

I'm just on my way home from buying a Minolta SRT-101 with a MC Rokkor-PG 50mm f1.4 for £4.50. The camera is loaded 4 frames used, there is a PX625 battery in it but it looks dead. The lens looks good and will work with my X-300 and Centon DF-300. From the same charity shop that I got the Centon from too.

Last edited:
I'm just on my way home from buying a Minolta SRT-101 with a MC Rokkor-PG 50mm f1.4 for £4.50. The camera is loaded 4 frames used, there is a PX625 battery in it but it looks dead. The lens looks good and will work with my X-300 and Centon DF-300. From the same charity shop that I got the Centon from too.

That minolta SRT-101 is beating boot sale prices..well done. You'll like the 50mm lens but flares easily facing the sun but gives lovely pictures say compared to a razor sharp hexanon f1.4 which is a bit "cold" and "clinical" in comparison.

I also got a Hanimex 80-200mm f4.5 Auto Zoom with the Minolta mount for the same price. On the way home I was thinking that I already have an 80-200 and a 60-300 and I could have saved £4.50 and just bought the camera. Then when I got home I realised I hadn't been charged for the lens.

Now I'll have to go back and either return the lens or pay for it. Though you never know, I might find another bargain when I do.

Just saw on LCE's website, two Bronica kits for £500 each.

One was an ETRSi with three lenses and five backs!
Other was an SQB with two lenses and six backs!

Look in good nick too.

Last edited:
Just saw on LCE's website, two Bronica kits for £500 each.

One was an ETRSi with three lenses and five backs!
Other was an SQB with two lenses and six backs!

Look in good nick too.

Bronica kit is embarrassingly cheap. I think an ETRS and 75mm kit is probably one of the most reliable ways to get into medium format.

I also got a Hanimex 80-200mm f4.5 Auto Zoom with the Minolta mount for the same price. On the way home I was thinking that I already have an 80-200 and a 60-300 and I could have saved £4.50 and just bought the camera. Then when I got home I realised I hadn't been charged for the lens.

Now I'll have to go back and either return the lens or pay for it. Though you never know, I might find another bargain when I do.

I went back and paid for the lens, just part of the good work I do for charity, buying cameras and lenses at bargain prices. :snaphappy:

i came across a helios 135 f2.8 yesterday in a charity shop at £4.99. It looked ok but i noticed it wouldn't stop down so i passed it over. I'm now in a state of torment that i really should have nabbed it for that money.
However, today i was in another charity shop and got a lovely padded lens case for a pound. I haven't heard of Tommee Tippee lens cases before but it makes a fine case. :D:D:D

The thought had crossed my mind when I've seen them. I use Budweiser padded can holders for a couple of smaller lenses.

they are perfect, easily takes my 28-135 canon lens. At first glance i thought it was a lens pouch, what can you get for a quid these days?

You can get a fair bit. Film for example. Maybe Poundland will have Tommy Tippee style lens cases too, they sell baby stuff.

Today I received an ebay item I only paid for yesterday, now that is good service. The item, a Canon AE-1 body was actually listed as Canon A-1 spares or repair but had a picture of an AE-1. My X-700 was listed as an X-300 when I bought it, but had an X-700 in the picture. The Canon was £8.45 inc £4 p&p.

Like the X-700 there is nothing wrong with this camera that a battery didn't sort out. It does need a new mirror buffer and a clean, but shutter, wind on, frame counter and metering are all working. The picture shows it with the Canon FD 50mm f1.8 lens I got for £2 a few months ago from a charity shop.

View attachment 26660

Last edited:
Back