Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

Hi all. This is my collection as of last week. Have now added a Chinon CS to the collection.
Hope you all approve. Am hoping to keep adding to it over the next few months and years x

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1442431795.553436.jpg

"memotron"......o_O

if you take a picture of somebody, does the flash wipe their memory.........or sumfink

:)

:D you got me wondering why "memotron" ...and it has the feature of holding your exposure reading in memory.....all good stuff and IMO a superior camera to the spottie although I have no idea if Chinon made quality built cameras. i.e. more pro than newbie.

http://zorkiphoto.co.uk/2013/05/14/chinon-memotron-review/

Last edited:
Both hun. Mainly shoot digital but love loading up a 35mm film and having a play lol

Hope I have put this in the correct place (admin please move if not)
Just popped to my local Tesco and they had triple packs of fuji c200 colour film (24) for £2.00 on special offer.

Hope I have put this in the correct place (admin please move if not)
Just popped to my local Tesco and they had triple packs of fuji c200 colour film (24) for £2.00 on special offer.

Merged into the existing film bargains thread for you...

They've had these before when they're near or past expiry. Nice to know they're back.

Bought a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar DDR 50mm f2.8 for £5 from a charity shop and the bloke threw in a Praktica MTL-3 with an identical lens, a hard Sacar case, 2 SuperSnaps films that expired in Nov 2001 and an old looking lens hood.

Oh, but the drawback was the MTL-3 had been dropped, the mirror was missing and the film advance doesn't work. Both lenses have the diaphragm stuck open. Odd thing about them is the difference in serial numbers. Though they look identical one is 10.5 million range the other 61 thousand. The case has lots of disintegrating bits of black foam in it. The camera had a well corroded PX625 which I had to remove by removing the base as the battery cover wouldn't open.

Bought a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar DDR 50mm f2.8 for £5 from a charity shop and the bloke threw in a Praktica MTL-3 with an identical lens, a hard Sacar case, 2 SuperSnaps films that expired in Nov 2001 and an old looking lens hood.

The Tessar is a good lens but the weak spot is with a lot of CZJ lenses is on the mechanical side esp with sticky blades. Easy to take apart and fix with a drop of lighter fuel but you have to continually operate the blades (say once a week) or they stick again.

My 29mm one is fine but the three 50mm lenses I have all have sticky or stuck blades. I keep meaning to take one apart to try and fix it.

If it's a 29mm Lydith and it's a good copy....you'll be pleased.

It's a 29mm Pentacon, I thought it was a CJZ. I have one somewhere with the red T I think.

It's a 29mm Pentacon, I thought it was a CJZ. I have one somewhere with the red T I think.

Pentacon also seem to have above average problems on the mechanical side again esp sticky blades, and have just thrown away a mint 50mm as I got fed up trying to fix it.
Must be pollution in the air (or whatever) that is the reason for when a lens is not used the blades are more likely to stick :(

Just to add:- quite a few of these lenses, that you can buy for peanuts, and once stopped down, you would have to have a good eye to see the difference compared to an expensive lens..and that goes for the sweet spot in quite a few zooms.

I was checking out the Vivitar 24mm (tokina) bought at the bootie, well the Asda machine must have got confused by the 2006 colorama film (Agfacolor) as it came out like an over processed digi shot......but the shot looks sharp to the edges...so a good 2nd to a Nikon 24mm..so saves me buying one.

Last edited:
I have 3 Zenits so I also have a couple of 44-2 and a 44-4. My Yashica TL-Electro has a Yashinon-DS 50/1.9 I still need to get batteries for that. I also have the SMC Takumar 50/1.4 so I am OK for screw mount fifties.

I also have an m42 adapter for my Tamron lenses, a 24/2.5, a 135/2.8, an 80-210/3.8-4 and a 300/5.6 as well as a few other adapters.

The Helios lenses were going for a £1 each at the bootie not so long ago and bought a few......but for some reason don't see many now and probably because the digi guys like them and they get snapped up....quite amusing now seeing more camera bodies than lenses and sometimes boxes full esp AF.

If you go to http://www.adaptall-2.org/ you can get info about your Tamron lenses.

Last edited:
I have seen the site thanks. I have two versions of the 300mm my first had no rubber grips and I saw the second in Cash Converters complete with Nikon mount for £15 so I bought it. I bought a Zenit TTL body for £1 from a charity shop about 6 months ago. It works ok but is missing a battery cover.

Last edited:
At the bootie, I missed by two minutes, the choice of Edixamat with a box of accessories, Balda and Voightlander.... 35mm cameras with excellent lenses, the guy bought the lot inc a weird looking Polaroid (not the usual shape)....it's all luck.
The buyer was a bit odd and seemed confused and overwhelmed as I asked him about the Edixamat (still on the table) and he didn't complain when I picked it up to check it out, and then I asked the seller how much..and the seller said he has already bought it........:rolleyes:

Got a mint looking zorki 4k with a case and 50mm lens for £18 this morning. Going to run a roll through this afternoon and process it in the morning.
Also got a helios for a £1.

I got a couple of Minoltas this week, a Dynax 404si body for £1.99 from ebay and a Dynax 3xi with 35-80mm powerzoom for £10 from a charity shop. Both are working well, the 3xi had a new 2CR5 battery in it. One issue with the 404si is an orange/red discolouration inside the viewfinder. Has anyone come across this before? I have around 50 SLRs and this is the first time I've seen it.

I was having a quick look over a thread on doing it. It doesn't seem to bad at first read, although I've never tried anything like it.

It's like cooking, and not the Heston Blumenthal type, either. Just follow the recipe and you'll be good.

I'll hold you to it.

They're right, y'know. When I developed my first B&W films there was a moment of "is that it?" disappointment as it's a pretty straightforward process but that soon goes once you see that first strip of negatives hanging up to dry. The hardest part is ensuring everything is at the right temperature and even that's not critical with B&W if you're stand processing in Rodinal.

I find it helps to occasionally cackle maniacally as though you're a mad scientist in a 1950s B-movie. Doesn't do anything for the developing process but it engages me with the process. :)

Another trip to the car boot this afternoon and I have two new toys :)

An XA2 in pretty good condition, been looking at them over the last few weeks on ebay so it was a nice find for £2

IMG_20151018_49867.jpg

Later on came across a Weston Master II. I don't usually look too much at light meters but I've never seen one in as good condition so I had to snap it up too. Was also £2

IMG_20151018_3493.jpg

My Maxxum 7xi arrived from ebay today (£8.50) so I put my 50/1.7 on and took it out for the day.

While I was out I bought an XA2 from a charity shop. It had a problem winding on and the rewind button was depressed even after I opened the back. They reduced it from £25 to £10.

When I removed the bottom I found a bit of plastic in the gears, removing this freed it up and it works perfectly. It came boxed complete with flash and both manuals.

Just had a call from Mathers and they have run out of XP2, apparently the auto updater didn't auto update. Anyway, we have come to a deal and they are going to send me 3 packs of PanF instead.

Just to let you know if you have not already seen,Photobucket are doing some brilliant deals on canvass prints at the moment. I have just received a 18"x12" canvass wrapped edge print of a photograph I took last year in Spain and the quality is excellent.

All the way from the USofA for £21.00 delivered.

I think the current deal is on 12"x12" size,so great for you square shooter and the price would be about £19.00 I think after conversion.Other sizes are still available.

http://photobucket.com/

Last edited:
I see that for today only Calumet are selling the Sekonic L-209 for £59. Cheaper than the fleabay alternatives I could see, except for postage of course. Good if you want one and have a shop nearby. I know @Woodsy was interested, as am I...

EDIT: free delivery for orders over £50... :)

EDIT: can order now but awaiting stock...

Last edited:
Back