Holidays 2021

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
So what are you hoping to do? I’m hoping that the positive news relating to potential vaccines against COVID-19 will eventually make travel a realistic possibility.
Other than my family, the biggest thing I have missed this year is travel.

With that in mind I’m HOPING to be able to do the following:

Holiday to Florence (cancelled this year).
Holiday to Seville (cancelled this year).
At least 4 visits to Alicante to catch up with friends.
Ride my bike from the U.K. to Spain, via the Pyrenees, and back.

So, fingers crossed, a lot to look forward to.

What about you? Are you hoping to be able to travel?

Hoping to get back to more "normal" Crete a couple of times and a long weekend up in Edinburgh.

It's our 30th wedding anniversary next year and we were hoping to go to Amsterdam. I've never been and the missus went when she was a kid. It also has the advantage of being relatively flat which helps if you're a wheelchair user and I also get a cheap rate on the Eurostar with the missus travelling for free.

Our anniversary is in July but we might look to push the trip back to September if necessary.

Just rebooked a week in Stuttgart for June that was meant for my wife's 60th this year.
No fee cancellation up to 24hr before the start date, so not exactly risky.

Fingers crossed for all of us!

We are supposed to be in Thailand now, but obviously cancelled, also missed a week in Spain in june.
Next year planning low key breaks, a few trips to Spain and hopefully a huge trip to Costa rica sometime in 2022.
Have also spent the last few months binge watching a place in the sun -)

Last edited:
back to china. Other half hasn't seen her family since last summer now so we need to get back there. Hopefully the travel agent we got the tickets through haven't gone bust by then.

I owe her an Italian holiday as well since i discovered , a day before the flight, that my passport had gone through the washing machine. So we will be off there with my new one sometime :)

Went to Amsterdam, Corfu and Crete (but Cuba and USA were cancelled) this year so hope something similiar with a couple more City breaks (Alicante, Porto). Missed skiing this year but think its a bit optimistic to think a trip to France in March will be OK.

Unless something unexpected happens there'll be no holiday for me next year. Mrs WW needs to go to the Thai embassy sometime so I may get a couple of days in London, She's then hoping to go to Thailand for a month or so sometime in the summer. I'll just get a few hours out here and there as I can manage them.

Last edited:
No idea what we'll manage yet. We might get to Lesvos for Easter, we might get to NZ for their spring, we might manage to buy a house in Europe somewhere. Too many unknowns to book anything right now.

Still waiting for our refunds from Agean and the ferry people from this year.

YPLJCkR.jpg

Feeling better?

Don’t think it’s likely we will go anywhere.. our normal big trip is to China in Easter and it’s a no go still.

You have to do a mandatory two week quarantine and even getting a visa to visit as a foreigner is near on impossible we have been told.

Wife won’t have seen her parents in 3 years by the time we get back most likely

I wouldnt make any major plans for the first half of the year - vaccines will probably only start being rolled out in any number in Q1, and that wont apply I guess to most of us here. Covid will still be needed to be managed, until at least mid year, and even then some vaccines may be unreliable, could be an issue with boosters, could still not have vaccinated everyone, so I will just be looking at cheap short minute breaks to Euro cities or maybe Centerparcs or a cottage in cornwall.

We were meant to be going to my cousins wedding in Portugal, my daughter is meant to be the flower girl.
We will have to play it by ear and see if it something we can/want to do.

Back in 2017, we drove to Salzburg and loved it, but I didn't book any accomodation, so it got a bit fraught at times. Last year we drove to Vienna via Germany, pre-booked all the hotels online. I would like to do Salzburg again but in a more organised fashion, it was a magical place, the scenery is stunning, the people very friendly, really good food and beer.

Back in 2017, we drove to Salzburg and loved it, but I didn't book any accomodation, so it got a bit fraught at times. Last year we drove to Vienna via Germany, pre-booked all the hotels online. I would like to do Salzburg again but in a more organised fashion, it was a magical place, the scenery is stunning, the people very friendly, really good food and beer.

That was similar to our plans for this summer. Fly to Vienna and then drive across Austria and fly home from Salzburg, or maybe Munich. A few days in the cities at either end and a stop or two on the way. Maybe later next year, fingers crossed.

We had a week based near Munich a few years ago. Trips out to Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, The Grossglockner, Koenigssee etc. Fantastic place. Can’t wait to return.

We were about to book a holiday to Turkey around the time of the first lockdown.
I know a few people who went abroad after the first lockdown but the idea of wearing a facemask for hours while travelling put us off the idea.
Fingers crossed we'll get away next year.

We were about to book a holiday to Turkey around the time of the first lockdown.
I know a few people who went abroad after the first lockdown but the idea of wearing a facemask for hours while travelling put us off the idea.
Fingers crossed we'll get away next year.

I went to Japan and Korea in the middle of February, got back pretty much a week or 2 before they closed their borders. I wore facemasks the whole time, it's fine, everyone does it. It's not really a big deal, it was a 12hr flight there and 13hr back. I did put on a new mask halfway through as it gets damp after a while.

I suspect even after restrictions is lifted, with vaccine, facemasks on air travel is here to stay. It was common whenever I took a flight to the far east in the past before Covid was even a thing, they are just a lot more accustomed to it, I used to think "it must be uncomfortable" but now I don't really care.

That was similar to our plans for this summer. Fly to Vienna and then drive across Austria and fly home from Salzburg, or maybe Munich. A few days in the cities at either end and a stop or two on the way. Maybe later next year, fingers crossed.

We had a week based near Munich a few years ago. Trips out to Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, The Grossglockner, Koenigssee etc. Fantastic place. Can’t wait to return.

The road between Salzburg and Munich gets incredibly busy, so if it was me I would fly from Salzburg. Another place to see is Zell am See, really lovely scenery.

The road between Salzburg and Munich gets incredibly busy, so if it was me I would fly from Salzburg. Another place to see is Zell am See, really lovely scenery.

Yep, we stopped there on the way back from the Grossglockner HA Road.

We also almost missed our flight home because of a dash up to the Marienbrucke for that view of Neuschwanstein. I wouldn’t have minded one bit.

Umbria at Easter 2021 is booked, cancelled from this year.
I'd like to go to York, also cancelled this year.

I did get to Gent for three days just before everything stopped in March and saw the van Eyck exhibition.

I went to Japan and Korea in the middle of February, got back pretty much a week or 2 before they closed their borders. I wore facemasks the whole time, it's fine, everyone does it. It's not really a big deal, it was a 12hr flight there and 13hr back. I did put on a new mask halfway through as it gets damp after a while.

I suspect even after restrictions is lifted, with vaccine, facemasks on air travel is here to stay. It was common whenever I took a flight to the far east in the past before Covid was even a thing, they are just a lot more accustomed to it, I used to think "it must be uncomfortable" but now I don't really care.

I struggle wearing a mask for 30 minutes in the supermarket and nothing I try stops my glasses from misting up.
It wouldn't surprise if wearing a mask on a plane becomes permanent so if that's the case I'll cross the bridge if it comes to it.

I'm 80yo in mid-February - bit early to know what to do - maybe a photo trip to B&Bs in the Highlands

South Lanarkshire is considering Level 4 lockdown so travel would be restricted..........:mad:

Last edited:
I struggle wearing a mask for 30 minutes in the supermarket and nothing I try stops my glasses from misting up.
It wouldn't surprise if wearing a mask on a plane becomes permanent so if that's the case I'll cross the bridge if it comes to it.

You need to adjust the mask to your nose making a better seal, breath through your nose and not your mouth helps.

Helps but doesn't stop the problem.

The only person I've seen who has managed to stop her glasses from steaming up when wearing a mask uses micropore tape to seal the top of the mask.

I’ve taken a punt and booked a few days glamping in the Cotswolds. If I can go, and if it’s permitted, it will make a great base to go and see my family from.
Fingers crossed!

Not booked anything yet. Last year's £900 caravan is £1600 this year for the same week. Plus there's only a 50% refund for cancellation if unable to go. I appreciate their side of things, but I'm not risking that just yet.

Stuttgart in June cancelled, no fees so nothing to worry about there.
Just heard that Eurostar have extended their voucher expiry date until Dec 30th.
Can be used for bookings six months in advance so that's middle of next year to use them.
Deutsche Bahn vouchers were already valid for three years so they should be fine.

Had already booked (very) detached self catering in Cumbria and Yorkshire for this year.
Fingers crossed for Germany in December, but not getting my hopes up too much

I've just had my flight to Singapore cancelled in April

We will have to wait and see what Boris says on Monday. We were hoping to go to Germany for Easter and Greece at the end of May.

i'm not confident in booking anywhere on a plane this year so im off around Scotland around the NC500 in June for a week with the lads on our bikes..oh and a week in July up in Scotland on the bike but this time solo...and another week September just for good measure, to be fair i go every year at least once but thought id bang in a couple of extra trips this year...accommodation booked all with free cancellation up to a couple of days before then trip so even if lockdown still on i wont have lost any money except September when im planning on wild camping anyway

Back