Holidays 2021

Week in Cornwall booked in Fowey for last week of July. Had thought about May half term but too soon and by then we should have eased of most restrictions. I can cope with masks but hopfully little restriction in terms of eating out etc,,,

Last minute decision will be taken on a day trip to Cologne at some point this year, either a drink up with the lads or trip with kids, or both!

If funds allow and no covid issues may look at last minute deals in Oct half term to say ALgarve or UK

Ive definitely missed the travel. Last year was the first time in a long time that I havent been out of the Country. 2019 saw visits to Poland, Estonia, Denver, Spain and Hong Kong, so to go from that to absolutely nothing in 2020, left me feeling very frustrated.

Hoping for better this year.

i'm not confident in booking anywhere on a plane this year so im off around Scotland around the NC500 in June for a week with the lads on our bikes..oh and a week in July up in Scotland on the bike but this time solo...and another week September just for good measure, to be fair i go every year at least once but thought id bang in a couple of extra trips this year...accommodation booked all with free cancellation up to a couple of days before then trip so even if lockdown still on i wont have lost any money except September when im planning on wild camping anyway

I’m hoping to do the NC500 at the end of April if restrictions are lifted.

Ive definitely missed the travel. Last year was the first time in a long time that I havent been out of the Country. 2019 saw visits to Poland, Estonia, Denver, Spain and Hong Kong, so to go from that to absolutely nothing in 2020, left me feeling very frustrated.

Hoping for better this year.
Managed to get trips to Amsterdam, Corfu and Crete last year (luckily) but had to cancel a Cuba/USA trip, mini cruise down the Rhine at Christmas and skiing in France.
Hoping for a couple of trips to Greece this year and maybe a couple of city breaks if all goes well with the vaccines etc.

I’m hoping to do the NC500 at the end of April if restrictions are lifted.

good luck and fingers crossed for you, if you have never been your in for a treat, best tip is take good waterproofs and some spare gloves, a lot prefer going anticlockwise but i like going clockwise, the west coast of Scotland is awesome with a capital A ( my mum lives up in Ayrshire so il drop by to visit and so don't do the traditional NC500 route, but it does include either up along Loch Lomond and taking in glen coe or going over on the ferry at Gourock to Dunoon and following the road round through Inverary and Oban to Fort William that way. there are loads of great roads and stunning scenery all round there not just the NC500 route. petrol can be a bit scarce in bits so take every opportunity to fill up, ive got a list of petrol stations that i print off and i need to stop( my bike only does 130-140 miles a tank so i have to be a bit careful. it goes without saying...take your camera there are the odd view here and there to take a quick snap :p

good luck and fingers crossed for you, if you have never been your in for a treat, best tip is take good waterproofs and some spare gloves, a lot prefer going anticlockwise but i like going clockwise, the west coast of Scotland is awesome with a capital A ( my mum lives up in Ayrshire so il drop by to visit and so don't do the traditional NC500 route, but it does include either up along Loch Lomond and taking in glen coe or going over on the ferry at Gourock to Dunoon and following the road round through Inverary and Oban to Fort William that way. there are loads of great roads and stunning scenery all round there not just the NC500 route. petrol can be a bit scarce in bits so take every opportunity to fill up, ive got a list of petrol stations that i print off and i need to stop( my bike only does 130-140 miles a tank so i have to be a bit careful. it goes without saying...take your camera there are the odd view here and there to take a quick snap :p

Thanks. I’ve got good waterproofs thankfully, and I’ve read about the scarcity of petrol stations. My bike has a 20 litre tank which is good for 200 miles, but I’ll keep it topped up.
On the way up I’ll pass by Fort William and Loch Ness before staying overnight in Inverness for the start.

We were supposed to be going to Disney World last October but of course it was cancelled.
Im not planning on going abroad any time soon as my youngest is disabled and wouldn’t tolerate the test and can’t wear masks.
To be honest I will be happy just to be able to get out and about in this country and hopefully be able to visit the seaside.

Thanks. I’ve got good waterproofs thankfully, and I’ve read about the scarcity of petrol stations. My bike has a 20 litre tank which is good for 200 miles, but I’ll keep it topped up.
On the way up I’ll pass by Fort William and Loch Ness before staying overnight in Inverness for the start.

there's a NC500 app for your phone shows you all the petrol stations, a lot are unmanned and card only btw

We’ve done the NC 500 route a few times-before it was known as that too- with the car club and there’s are some nice detours off it but some are one road in/out, I could get the car down to 120 miles to a tank but we weren’t sightseeing or during touristy season, snow/ice made driving interesting but very photographic, not bike weather though.

the wife booked a few days in Great Yarmouth for the middle of April which i think is being very optimistic but her thinking is as soon as Boris allows us to travel / holiday places are going to get booked to capacity very quickly and we might miss our chance, if we book now and cannot go we can re book for a later date keeping our spot so to speak.
we have a caravan in Newquay that we havn't been able to use since 2019 and this year doesn't look to promising either, maybe later in the year we might get a chance

apart from that absolutely nothing planned

my current contract runs till end June an i plan not extending and will hopefully be on a plane to the crete house a couple of days later for at least 2 months.

We celebrated our 30th anniversary last September and 2020 was the first year we have not been out of the country. I have started opening up Google maps and looking at our previous destinations, reading the comments on the hotels/restaurants we have visited, remembering the scenery, the brilliant food, just exploring, driving around villages and towns we had never been to before.
I love Europe, particularly France, Germany, Austria and Italy. Our first proper road trip was in 1998, when we booked a ferry crossing to France, then made the rest up. It coincided with France winning the World Cup - Zidane at his best. We stayed at a place called Ladoix-Serigny just North of Beaune in the heart of the CoteD'Or, where I discovered why red Burgundy is so highly rated. Then Grenoble for a couple of nights and on to Nice and Menton via the glorious Route de Napolean. We then travelled to Genova and Turin (My missus is great at haggling hotel deals) and then back via Dijon to Calais.
I really am missing the road trips abroad.

i'm not confident in booking anywhere on a plane this year so im off around Scotland around the NC500 in June for a week with the lads on our bikes..oh and a week in July up in Scotland on the bike but this time solo...and another week September just for good measure, to be fair i go every year at least once but thought id bang in a couple of extra trips this year...accommodation booked all with free cancellation up to a couple of days before then trip so even if lockdown still on i wont have lost any money except September when im planning on wild camping anyway

We're booked for Mull in May. We think we'll be able to go (self-catering cottage) but a bit concerned about getting there. Oban is 10 hours in the car..too long without an overnight stay. We didn't want to risk abroad either, especially re a flight so we booked Scotland 10 months ago thinking we should be ok. My wife is from Scotland so, rules allowing, we may end up staying overnight with friends or family.

Looks like my s/c cottage end of April has gone for a burton if reports are correct of five weeks between measures being relaxed.
Got my finger poised to book one when lying bunter has rambled on this afternoon and given a prospective opening date.

Looks like my s/c cottage end of April has gone for a burton if reports are correct of five weeks between measures being relaxed.
Got my finger poised to book one when lying bunter has rambled on this afternoon and given a prospective opening date.

Open from 12th April

The second step comes from 12 April would see major parts of the economy permitted to reopen:
  • Non-essential retail opens, hairdressers and public buildings like libraries and museums
  • Outdoor settings like alcohol takeaways, beer gardens, zoos and theme parks
  • Indoor leisure like swimming pools and gyms
  • Self-contained holiday accommodation, such as self-catering and camp sites

Open from 12th April

The second step comes from 12 April would see major parts of the economy permitted to reopen:
  • Non-essential retail opens, hairdressers and public buildings like libraries and museums
  • Outdoor settings like alcohol takeaways, beer gardens, zoos and theme parks
  • Indoor leisure like swimming pools and gyms
  • Self-contained holiday accommodation, such as self-catering and camp sites

Thanks, looks good so far, might put it back a week or two just to be on the safe side.

There's no chance of looking to book any holiday for this year, we're gonna leave it and wait until the autumn of 2022 and wait to see what that brings....(?)

Patience is a virtue etc...

Well my glamping trip needs to be rescheduled! I knew I was taking a risk.
Looks like I won’t be doing the NC500 in April either. I really wanted to do that before peak too.

Just been eyeing up the hotels in Strasbourg for December.
If things are ok and they will have us its full steam ahead, not got forever and lots of places still to see.

Really missed travelling and can't wait to get going again, love everything about it even the planning and research bit.
Some people enjoy their homes and gardens others want to explore, either got the travel gene or not.
My missus thinks I see everything in Eurostar tickets and hotel costs, she's not that wrong.
Think we will see a vaccine passport for foreign travel, fair enough I reckon.

Last edited:
Just booked Crete for September. Easy Jet have just cancelled flights to Alicante in April so have applied For vouchers to hopefully be used to go to Greece in June. Also got a moved December break to Germany.

The EU agreed last night to introduce “vaccine passports” by the summer as a means to promote leisure travel.

When was that then- as can’t find anything on line about a final agreement as France and Germany still against.
It wouldn’t surprise me though. The logistics of making it happen, particularly from non EU into EU travel would be difficult. Personally don’t have an issue with it (making my appointment this week for my first shot)if it means I can get back to travelling again.

When was that then- as can’t find anything on line about a final agreement as France and Germany still against.
It wouldn’t surprise me though. The logistics of making it happen, particularly from non EU into EU travel would be difficult. Personally don’t have an issue with it (making my appointment this week for my first shot)if it means I can get back to travelling again.

It’s reported in The Times today.

It’s reported in The Times today.
Lots of possible and probable in that report And only the Times reporting it. I’ve no issue with it, but the logistics and bureaucracy involved make me think it won’t be this year. Only 6% of EU population vaccinated. Merkel refusing the Oxford jab. I’d say there is some way to go before that is implemented.

Should have been off to Costa Rica in two weeks time have rescheduled it for this time next year, fingers crossed.
Just waiting now to see how things pan out for anything this year. Think it might be Blighty trips!

The EU agreed last night to introduce “vaccine passports” by the summer as a means to promote leisure travel.

That should not be bought in until everyone has had the option of vaccine - which for some EU countries will be after the summer as things are going. Why should a 25yo be restricted to travel?

That should not be bought in until everyone has had the option of vaccine - which for some EU countries will be after the summer as things are going. Why should a 25yo be restricted to travel?

Why should anyone be restricted to anything, just tough s*** if that's the rules.
Not overly chuffed I can't travel unrestricted in Europe myself, but again that's the way it is after Brexit

Well if they haven’t been vaccinated, the answer would be to minimum the risk of Covid-19 transmission.

Should have been off to Costa Rica in two weeks time have rescheduled it for this time next year, fingers crossed.
Just waiting now to see how things pan out for anything this year. Think it might be Blighty trips!

Rebooked a cancelled holiday from last year to July this year, if it goes ahead it will be our 2nd visit to CR after staying there 2 yrs ago.

Has any booked a holiday to any of the green list destinations?

Back