Holidays 2021

We have three days in Portugal just to attend a family wedding i August, which was booked pre-covid. Ready to cancel if it looks too risky. But likely will be cancelling regardless if the requirement for testing remains, that is likely to add another ~£700 to the cost.

Also got a trip to Disney Paris booked for November for the kids as they have been amazing how they have handled the last year. But we haven't told them yet and it is free cancellation, so again will see closer to the time if we actually decide to go.

We have a week in Cornwall in July on a working farm and then we have a week near brixham in August. Then I'm off for 3 days to Newark in September to the mighty trent barbel fishing.

We need to make a "balance payment" decision before the 15th May.......this is for a ferry route holiday in Guernsey in July.

2 nights in Wemyss Bay Holiday Park with the grandkids in a fortnight.
We're babysitting, so thought we'd take them away for the weekend.
There's a swimming pool there so they'll be happy.
It's only just over an hours drive as well.... :cool:

Won't book anything to visit my daughter in Lisbon until things are clearer re covid tests etc....I'm off in June, and again in Sept/Oct so we'll see how things are closer to then....

Costa Rica in July, now looking unlikely again, although I think if we have re-book for next year then so be it. When we re-booked last year there was a 20% discount rebooking incentive, I think that has gone and its either money back or rebook at the current price now.

We have a week booked in Spain in August, I can tests done for free if this still applies, though I am hoping that won't still be the case.

We reckon we will will wait and let others be the guinea pigs for foreign travel, I did look but not only have flight times become unattractive but prices are rising rapidly above what I'm prepared to pay. We'll just support tourism in the UK instead.

I’m currently spending a few days in The Cotswolds. Weather is hit and miss!

Last edited:
Given the traffic light system we now have, if a country isn't shown on any of the lists, where would you stand ?

In England.

Not ben away since March 2020. Its a case of have caravan will travel, but later in the year. Never been abroad unless you count southern Island abroad doe's not interest me.
Need to make mind up where i'm going when all the idiots have been and gone home. Only have myself to look after loosing my wife beginning January.

Trevor

It has now been confirmed that Portugal will be taken off the green list as of next Tuesday, so anyone still there after that date will need to do 10 days quarantine on return. Watch the mad scramble for flights home now as people try to get home before then.

Due to fly to Portugal tomorrow but applied for voucher from BA. Nothing booked until September now and will wait until hopefully things settle

I've just had a week long work trip in Glasgow and upon arriving into Heathrow this afternoon, I was rather surprised to see so many BA arrivals from Faro.

I don't have any holidays planned but will likely go somewhere within the UK as I've got a week off in both June and July - it'll be a last minute booking for sure though.

vaccine passports will be a thing when travelling abroad, maybe not so much in the UK.

Of course travelers to Spain still have to quarantine on their return.
Also Ximo Puig, President of the Valencian Community, today expressed concern how COVID cases are on the rise again and has said he won’t rule out reimposing severe measures again (curfew and closure of the border).
So don’t book Benidorm yet!

Returning to the US soon for a memorial and a chance to see family and friends. Quarantine on arrival and quarantine on the return home is the current situation.

I can't imagine it is going to be any easier getting through US immigration which is usually a trying experience at the best of times. Fortunately my wife and son have Dual Citizenship so it'll be me in the long queue with the TSA scrutinising my every move :eek: .

When you apply for an ESTA now they ask you to list your online accounts and user names for things like FB/Instagram/Twitter etc. They still ask you if you are planning any terrorist activity during your stay :rolleyes:

When you apply for an ESTA now they ask you to list your online accounts and user names for things like FB/Instagram/Twitter etc. They still ask you if you are planning any terrorist activity during your stay :rolleyes:

Surely that's a) optional, b) would take ages to fill out and c) how would they know if I didn't put anything!

The last bit cracks me up - do they expect people to say "yes, I was planning XYZ"!!!

Tales of getting the UK NHS Covid Pass.

I have added the NHS App to my phone and yes there were some hoops with multi stage security verification..................but it was on the whole straightforward ~ got the pass :)

My OH because has too little space on her older phone could not make enough storage room so we went through the "NHS Covid pass" web portal.

Most of the first steps for her to verify herself (as I had to via the App) were AOK but then she was required to do more ~ take photo of a Photo ID doc e.g. Passport or Driving License, then upload the photo.

Then the system required to allow the laptop to video her speaking a phrase......!!!

At last the system told her she had completed it but it would take 24 hours to confirm that she was indeed who she said she was :banghead: :thinking:

So having jumped through more hoops than I had to, we shall have to hope that "computer says yes"....sometime tomorrow. fingers crossed :confused:

Last edited:
Tales of getting the UK NHS Covid Pass.

I have added the NHS App to my phone and yes there were some hoops with multi stage security verification..................but it was on the whole straightforward ~ got the pass :)

My OH because has too little space on her older phone could not make enough storage room so we went through the "NHS Covid pass" web portal.

Most of the first steps for her to verify herself (as I had to via the App) were AOK but then she was required to do more ~ take photo of a Photo ID doc e.g. Passport or Driving License, then upload the photo.

Then the system required to allow the laptop to video her speaking a phrase......!!!

At last the system told her she had completed it but it would take 24 hours to confirm that she was indeed who she said she was :banghead: :thinking:

So having jumped through more hoops than I had to, we shall have to hope that "computer says yes"....sometime tomorrow. fingers crossed :confused:

I did all the above, photo and then face recognition etc.
Said up to 24 hours, but the confirmation came in the next hour and all working ok now.

Also sent off for the Covid Pass letter, some places such as Malta will only accept that as proof.
Not the app nor the pdf print you can download from it despite some saying that is the Covid Pass document
The paper copy came well within the week they stated on Gov UK, might as well have everything that might be needed.

Last edited:
Surely that's a) optional, b) would take ages to fill out and c) how would they know if I didn't put anything!

The last bit cracks me up - do they expect people to say "yes, I was planning XYZ"!!!

Not optional!

I just stuck to the main ones.

You fill out the form online so if there is nothing in the box I guess it would flag up for checking.

Maybe they are hoping they will come across an honest terrorist once in a while :rolleyes:

They are completely serious. The terrorist bit allows you to be arrested for lying if they think you are one.

Well I’ve bitten the bullet and bought flights to Spain for the end of September. The dates can be changed at no cost if things go tits up.

Wonder what the German markets will be like this festive season. Will they even be open I wonder?

Back