Holy crap

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Well lads I came on holiday to bempton on Sunday,and then suffered a major heart attack got rushed into a hospital in hull and had a stent fitted now in recovery hope to be let out Tomoz but can’t drive for four weeks. Feel crap but alive anyone near castle hill Hospital can visit me if you want

Sorry to hear that Jeff, daft as it may seem I feel a lot better having had my Stents fitted than I ever did before. ( haven't really changed my lifestyle either.)

Yeah it's true what they say the NHS really is rubbish.
My daughter cant stand the NHS, went to Dubai recently, didn't take out any health insurance and got Pneumonia, cost her just over £5k for 4 nights stay, bargain.

(that's all a bit tongue in cheek by the way)

Glad you are making a good enough recovery to post on here :)

Holy crap indeed Jeff!
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery (y)

Hope you make a swift recovery, Jeff.
Take it easy for a while!

Wow, sorry to hear that mate. I have to ask, did you get any warning signs at all, with the benefit of hindsight? My mother died from cardiac arrest a few years back, ironically she was in hospital just getting checked out at the time as had been feeling under the weather. It turned out to be a clot that traveled from her leg that did it

Hope you recover well, take it easy for a bit, the birds ain't going anywhere in a hurry ;)

I feel for you, I suffered a heart attack when I was 40 and wasn't allowed to drive for a month.
The waiting list for an urgent angiogram was 2 months with the NHS so I went private.
Luckily I never require any stents.

No warning just chronic indigestion followed by mild pains in both shoulders that’s when the wife called the ambulance .... super hospital here really looking after me amazing watching the stent going into my heart on the big screen to just left me very weak but improving by the hour

That must have been scary for both you and your wife.

All the best for a full and speedy recovery.

Dave

Hope you'll make a full recovery Jeff, and get back out with the camera, take care of yourself and I promise to behave
with the memes for a while xx

Thanks all , now back home but not walking that well ,I think photography will be on a back burner for the rest of the summer

Thanks all , think it will be a long job . hits hard as I’ve always led a active lifestyle

I felt sorry for myself after my recent shoulder op because I was (still) unable to hold the 150-600 lens or even sit in the hide with my arm up and finger on the shutter button but having read this and recently hearing of a friend's identical situation I now have it in perspective. The frustratioin at being tethererd,so to speak,is underestimated too, I think. Doing photography, especially wildlife, gets us out and about up and down the dales..or the hills in your case and, as you mentioned, that's tough to cope with too.,

When we read about incidents like this it also makes you realise how wonderful the NHS is.

You'll just have to settle for giving photo advice, Jeff. It will be well received.

Bloody hell Jeff - you'll do anything to get an extra thread on OOF :banana:

Glad you're Ok mate - I'm up at Bempton next week if you're still in for any reason, otherwise let me know if you need 'owt when you're back home and I'll see what I can do. Might even take you out so you can be my spotter!

Get well soon

Mike

Back home in the hills now mike ,daughter took us out for a few hours and I got a few s*** shots .. getting a bit stronger each day but very slow .. might start using the mft gear for a bit again ,still got a few weeks before I can drive again though which is holding me back..
Recovery brought the car and caravan back thankfully plus all the family have rallied round to help

Your welcome to pop round any time mike, cheers m8

Sorry to hear of your issues Jeff - been there, had that, coming up on 3 years ago now... The first month is tough - just take it steady, behave yourself and do what the Quacks said - it's a PITA about the car, but it's only 4 weeks - it'll pass - could have been way worse if they'd have had to crack the ribs open instead of stenting, can be up to 6 months in that case.

My advice - take whatever rehab they give you - my hospital offered cardio rehab physio sessions, which were pretty good - in my case it was a bit "low impact" considering my heart problem was brought on as a side issue from a bout of pneumonia that'd caused pericarditis, which in turn had damaged one of the arteries on the heart, and 6 months later "boom". Thing was, in my case I was pretty much asymptomatic - week before i'd been out on the bike and ridden just short of 100 miles in a day.

SO, after the heart attack, the clot and plaques removal and stenting, I was physically back to normal (apart from feeling knackered because of the ridiculous dose of Beta-Blockers they had me on)... BUT, where the cardio rehab came in was this, it allowed me to actually exercise, and get my heart rate up, WHILST being supervised by a couple of cardio nurses who could assess how I was, how safe it was to get to that point, and, critically, to set HR limits and monitoring points for me when I was signed off to ride my bike again at the end of the course. In short, it gave me the confidence to actually go out and exercise, and do what I needed to get "back to normal" without s***ting myself every time I felt my heart rate become slightly elevated.

Did it work... well - i'm still on some meds, the beta blockers have gone down from 20mg to 3.75mg daily (BIG decrease - they actually found that the dose expected for someone of my height, weight and age was slowing my heart rate to under 30 while I was sitting around or sleeping, which is dangerously low, so they've been gradually decreasing the dose over time, as I sit here my HR's hovering around 38, which would be low for a 10 stone marathon runner, so i'm expecting that my next followup will probably end with them trying 2.5mg daily) and basically, that's about it... I'm a bit slower on the bike, a bit steadier walking, but I'm still on this earth, not under it.

Strangely, I think it's left me a slightly different person - i'm much less "driven", much more patient, and much happier with my lot in the world than I used to be - i think lying on a hospital bed alone for 9 days, writing a will that basically disposed of everything I owned made me realise a) how much I actually had and b) how little I appreciated it - and sadly c) how few people numbered in the things I cared about column... So, when I was fixed, I knew what I had to do - I got rid of a load of the stuff that had been just hanging around because I was too idle to get rid of it - and more importantly, I tried to be a nicer human being, on the premise that people may like me more...

I'll be honest, getting rid of the impedimenta was easier.

Thanks for all the nice responses ,and good to hear some of the side issues from mark .. at least I know that what I’m going through is normal if somewhat frustrating .. am going to contact my local hospital tomorrow to find out what the next step is as not heard a dickey bird yet , I suppose that could be to do with it happening in Yorkshire while I live in wales although the paperwork has been forwarded ( allegedly) also cardio rehab I need info ..

The one thing that’s really p***ed me off about this is , is the ambulance guy said to me if it had been daytime he would have asked for a helicopter to get me to the hospital quicker , never been in one yet grrrr

Back