How does this photographer achieve these colours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whateverwhatever

Suspended / Banned
Name
George
Edit My Images
No
These images in the link have such a beautiful edit on them but I have no idea how to achieve it. I know she shoots film.. and might scan the negative as a positive and edit on top of that. It's not as simple as adding saturation or curve balance.. it doesn't even come close to having this effect. Really look at these images and you can tell there it is a really unique way she edits these!

http://www.talentandpartner.com/paris/profile/elina-kechicheva/p:numero-tokyo-october-2017/

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Looks to me like a bit of selective masking on the subject using a layer. Then the effect is applied to the background, either as a single layer or multiple layers.The subject layer can then be worked on. There are other techniques that could be used as well. It's also possible to do some of this effect in Lightroom, but PS gives yo more control

Last edited:
If shooting film it could well be a darkroom technique whilst developing, masking, filtering, a bit of dodge and burn etc. It has a rawness which suggests this was a manual rather than computer process

Good grief... DGP hit it on the head. Instagramastic filter fails. Dreadful, truly awful images. Sorry if that offends the OP’s sensibilities but these images offend mine.
thanks for your input.. such a terrible photographer right? only represented by talent and partner and shoots covers and stories for the biggest fashion magazines in the world..

thanks for your input.. such a terrible photographer right? only represented by talent and partner and shoots covers and stories for the biggest fashion magazines in the world..

Great photographer I'm sure, but those edits are nasty. It depends on the context of how they are presented of course.

I doubt it is that hard in photoshop, selective colour adjustments and some blur.

And get paid for them?

From your original question it’s clear that you’re a person with limited knowledge of photography and painfully clear you’re a classic photographic fashion victim.

Is it actually necessary for some people to be so argumentative and dismissive to a new member?

How I read it, he didn't ask if we liked them, he just asked how the effects were achieved. As with most things, what is a good photograph is a subjective opinion, would it not be better to welcome a new member and answer the question, or if you aren't interested in that, then just ignore it?

We weren't all born as natural photography superstars here, and isn't part of the point of these forums to be able to ask questions? Maybe I have just misunderstood!

Is it actually necessary for some people to be so argumentative and dismissive to a new member?

How I read it, he didn't ask if we liked them, he just asked how the effects were achieved. As with most things, what is a good photograph is a subjective opinion, would it not be better to welcome a new member and answer the question, or if you aren't interested in that, then just ignore it?

We weren't all born as natural photography superstars here, and isn't part of the point of these forums to be able to ask questions? Maybe I have just misunderstood!
Thank you.. No reason to just come in here and dismiss this fashion photographers work and add nothing to the conversation. Every forum has people like this..

Thank you.. No reason to just come in here and dismiss this fashion photographers work and add nothing to the conversation. Every forum has people like this..

I had a browse through her Instagram page and, whilst the processing particularly in the linked article isn't too my taste at all, she produces some beautiful work! Some of the compositions and moments captured are beautiful and not all of her work is processed as per the link you shared. Unfortunately, some people can't see past that unfortunately.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question as to how she achieves the look she does, only she would be able to tell you that exactly, everything else would just be guessing but could get you close, I am sure. Just browsed again and some of her work is really stunning, IMO.

To be clear, I don't think the photos are terrible at all, just the processing is - for me

But as I said, I think Chappers has outlined enough of how its done for the OP to be able to have a go replicating this technique if he so wishes

Oh and there's LOTS of highly paid photographers, famous ones too, who's work I don't like - that's just personal taste and what helps make photography so interesting :)

Dave

Yes, you’re right, I was quite out of order there. My apologies. I get unreasonably irritated when images that are clearly (to me) processed ‘ugly’ (again to me) and then get diefied as brilliant photography.
Mea culpa and to each their own.
you are a t***

you are a t***
Unnecessary
He apologised. You won't last long here with that attitude.
Absolutely. :(

glad you pointed it out guys, next time, RTM it as well, it's only pure luck I decided to browse this thread.

OP - you're new here, and while you've had a bit of a rough reception, mainly because those shots are REALLY marmite in the processing (I think they're bloody awful faked attempts at emulating Cross processed Velvia 100F in C41 chemicals, probably pushed a couple of stops for good measure BTW) - but, if you throw insults and personal attacks around, you're really not going to last long here before we decide we can do without you... Calm down and consider what you've done for a moment - would you behave like that in a pub you've just entered for the first time? If you do, I bet you spend a lot of time in Accident and Emergency, getting bar stools removed from your rectum.

If shooting film it could well be a darkroom technique whilst developing, masking, filtering, a bit of dodge and burn etc. It has a rawness which suggests this was a manual rather than computer process

if it was film, the exagerated colours (especially the nuclear reds) would most likely be the result of cross processing E6 Velvia 100F in C41 chemicals - the Velvia would also probably account for the fairly un-natural skin tones as it's well known for being pretty crap for shooting anything with skin tones (it was largely formulated as a punchy, colourful film, generally employed to shoot Landscape Works and Advertising Pack Shots that needed to pack a wallop on the magazine pages or on the billboards)

But, as people have pointed out, there's masking involved - which makes me think that it's likely faked in photoshop rather than done with actual chemicals.

a more cynical person than myself would wonder why you've made a couple of posts to be allowed to add URL's to your posts, then started two threads linking to the same artists work...

but not me, I'm not cynical enough to think there might be some ulterior motive. No Sir, never crossed my mind.

a more cynical person than myself would wonder why you've made a couple of posts to be allowed to add URL's to your posts, then started two threads linking to the same artists work...

but not me, I'm not cynical enough to think there might be some ulterior motive. No Sir, never crossed my mind.

Okay? What would it achieve though? The photographer shoots covers and features for the likes of Vogue etc.... would there be an advantage to touting work here?

you caught me.. I'm the photographer.. I want the validation of middle-aged men who take micro hdr shots of their pet dogs and their balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back