How to rid myself of that self-conscious feeling.

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I like to blend in with everybody else normally, but when I am walking around with my camera I feel like I stand out and that people look at me funny. Maybe they are, I don't know hehe.

What do people normally do to rid themselves of this feeling ? Maybe I just need to grow a pair and not bother what people think :bonk:

I think this feeling leads to me rushing my shots leading to sub par results. :bang: I just bought myself a big camera bag so its going to get much harder to hide my camera under my water proof jacket now.

dont hide it, get it out & use it with pride & sod what every body else thinks........ :)

My mates always make fun of me (great mates I know) but after they see the pictures they want copies or say nice things
Just ignore people even if they stare at you
Its your choice what you do

But be careful taking pictures from under your coat :)

So long as your not hiding in bushes late at night, people are probably thinking, "i wish i was into something rather than just work, eat, sleep, repeat."

I tell people I have a camera and things like that, its just the random people that I see haha. Im not a shy person, I just always think the worst.

Im going to give myself a slap soon and go out around town or something and take some pics on a Saturday afternoon.

some brilliant comments....made me chuckle.........

Only way is to get out there and shoot, the more you do it the more comfortable about it you will feel, when in reality there probably wont be many people that even notice you.

I recently saw a stunning ARPS panel - all were of 'street people' in london, and each one had been asked if they could be photographed and no money changed hands :)

I guess it's the way you approach people and whether you can make them see your love of photography and pull them into your vision :)

I always thought pictures of random people involved bobbing behind a wall with a 400mm lens. Although this random person who I didn't even see in the window decided to smile for the camera.

I will just have to get out then I suppose. Maybe il try a random quiet little town, not my home town

I recently saw a stunning ARPS panel - all were of 'street people' in london, and each one had been asked if they could be photographed and no money changed hands :)

I guess it's the way you approach people and whether you can make them see your love of photography and pull them into your vision :)

I do love photography, I see all these pictures that make me just go WOW. Although, my pictures don't make me do this, but im learning. I look at photography as a fun way to keep me out of the pub, Every £3.50 spent on camera gear is 1 less pint consumed.:nuts:

Trying to be stealthy is probably why you are getting funny looks. Anything resembling suspicious behaviour where a camera is involved usually has people thinking 'P****' in this enlightened day and age. Sad but true.

I was never too bothered about people looking at me or giving me funny looks until yesterday (Monday) morning. I was taking a photo of a rose bush in a (public) footpath between 2 houses. My lens was pointed in the direction of a living room window but it's very clear I was photographing the rose bush with moving around that one bush, camera pointed down rather than straight ahead. The owner of the house came out and went ballistic at me! I apologised and went on my way without having even got my shot :shake: so I'm a little less keen now! I'll keep going though, the longer I don't get out and do it, the more "scary" it'll seem :)

It's is far easier with the x10 though :D A lot of it for me is not knowing 100%, in clear terms, my rights and their rights in all situations!

Last edited:
I like to blend in with everybody else normally, but when I am walking around with my camera I feel like I stand out and that people look at me funny.

Are you walking around draped in cameras and lenses ? If you want t blend in, why not.. well.. blend in? Something like a Fuji X100 or other high quality compact has it's uses sometimes.

Are you walking around draped in cameras and lenses ? If you want t blend in, why not.. well.. blend in? Something like a Fuji X100 or other high quality compact has it's uses sometimes.

I can't do that :eek: I like my dslr, although this 18-200mm lens isn't very discrete. I will get over it hehe one day

It depends what you want from the images though. If you want shots of people who are oblivious to your presence then a whopping great DSLR and and large zoom lens is going to make you conspicuous. The people in the shots will probably be looking at you, or the camera. YOU may get over it... but the people you are photographing won't.

There's a reason the best street photographers in the classic tradition... Myerowitz, Winnogrand et al used small range finder cameras.

If you're after portraits with the subjects permission, then yes, it's all about you... you just have to ask people.

Last edited:
I felt the same in a local town last year and felt very awkward everytime I raised the camera to my eye.

I think I need to go to another local town that is full of tourists all carrying cameras (some DSLRs) then I won't stand out so much.

I was never too bothered about people looking at me or giving me funny looks until yesterday (Monday) morning. I was taking a photo of a rose bush in a (public) footpath between 2 houses. My lens was pointed in the direction of a living room window but it's very clear I was photographing the rose bush with moving around that one bush, camera pointed down rather than straight ahead. The owner of the house came out and went ballistic at me! I apologised and went on my way without having even got my shot :shake: so I'm a little less keen now!

Unfortunate but I don't think I would apologise and walk off, I would smile and politely explain what I was doing and how beautiful the roses were, making me want to photograph them - bore him with my enthusiasm.
I find that a smile is the best way to deflect most curiosity or concern.

I'll post from a neutral perspective.

I'm quite a shy person with a lack of confidence.

I've only recently got into photography and I'm still at the nervous about what others think stage. I've learnt that at the end of the day, whatever you enjoy doing is your own interest and you should be entitled to do it regardless of other opinions.

Paranoia also comes into it, if I saw someone with a decent camera I'd be curious as to what they were photographing. I'd give them a look to see what they were shooting and that could perhaps be perceived as a negative look even if it wasn't.

I had a similar experience when I was taking some pics of a car on the street. The owner shot out the house and came up demanding to know what I was doing. I just told him I liked the look of his sported up car and showed him some of the pics I'd taken. He was very pleased with what I'd done and now he has 2 large canvas prints on his wall and a disc full of pics (which he paid me for) and he's recommended me to others in his car club.

Toadstool, that's interesting - what were they going ballistic about? Perhaps you unwittingly found yourself outside a 'safe house' or some crimeworld hideout :eek:
I'm with Gramps, you're not doing anything wrong so just explain what you're actually doing and it's quite legal whether they like it or not. Unless the above paragraph applies in which case things could turn ugly...
I was once on my hands and knees by a pavement photographing lichen after rain and it was amazing the number of people who asked what I was doing. Even more amazing was the reaction when I got people to actually look very closely at the lichens that they walk over every day, as beautiful as any garden border but in miniature!
I find that if you go about what you're doing with confidence no one reacts negatively, in fact you'll strike up some interesting conversations (if you're that way inclined like I am).

The vast majority of people won't care or even notice you so just have that in your mind. I walk around the streets with a DSLR and small prime and just take pictures of whatever I fancy.
Only had a couple of occassions where I have overheard people say "that man just took our picture" but they have never approached me. If they did object then I would happily delete the picture (even if I don't legally have to) as I put their feelings above my picture.

The more you walk around, the more normal it feels to you.

The vast majority of people won't care or even notice you so just have that in your mind. I walk around the streets with a DSLR and small prime and just take pictures of whatever I fancy.
Only had a couple of occassions where I have overheard people say "that man just took our picture" but they have never approached me. If they did object then I would happily delete the picture (even if I don't legally have to) as I put their feelings above my picture.

The more you walk around, the more normal it feels to you.

I think I will try that, walking around with my 35mm prime on and do the same, hoping to invest in a 105mm macro soon, so il be on my knees much more I'm guessing.

Last edited:
I've been into photography for years and this still bothers me from time to time, but I just try and ignore it.

I just tell myself life's to short to worry about what other people think.

A good friend once told me 'what other people think is none of my business' :-D

Just get out there with your camera, forget about other people and enjoy it.

Or just go the extreme, get out there with a full set of Kenko extension tubes, 70-200mm L series complete with hood, that'll soon get you noticed! :-D

Last edited:
I find this an interesting Topic that i can relate to.

I have a lack of confidence and low self esteem that always makes me think twice about where i go with my camera - which is why i'd much rather take pictures of landscapes etc where there are very few (if any) people about.

Without going in to too much detail, i spoke about it to my counselor and she suggested that rather than hiding away from people, i should use my camera as a reason to interact with people.

One of the other things she said was that if there were people looking at me while i took pictures, to actually speak to them and see if they knew any other area's that would be nice to shoot !

I haven't actually got to the point of asking them, but now rather than completely ignoring people, i usually offer a greeting - good morning / good afternoon, or lovely day isn't it ! It makes a huge difference i've found !

I know what you mean about everyone watching you. I suppose thats a price you have to pay if you want to take pictures. Maybe they are just curious and are thinking I might be in the papers tomorrow. I also think that the majority of people dont mind having their picture taken, even quite like it. If you need to gain more confidence why dont you go on one of the meets theres usually somthing going on in the 'meeting place forum' that might help? Confidence in numbers ect.

Last edited:
I'm 50/50, depending on how I'm feeling. Sometimes I couldn't care less and just enjoy what I'm doing, other times I feel uneasy and conscious that people are suspicious or judging - obviously the former is the preferred option.

It's interesting that someone has bought this up, because this is precisely my problem. I'm by nature quite a shy person, and I tend to rush my shots, even in quiet places, because I'm thinking that people are going to look and wonder "what is that berk up to with that camera?".

Thing is, my nervous rushing is probably attracting more attention to me that would otherwise be the case.

I suppose the only real cure for this is in the doing.

It's interesting that someone has bought this up, because this is precisely my problem. I'm by nature quite a shy person, and I tend to rush my shots, even in quiet places, because I'm thinking that people are going to look and wonder "what is that berk up to with that camera?".

Thing is, my nervous rushing is probably attracting more attention to me that would otherwise be the case.

I suppose the only real cure for this is in the doing.

Exactly the same as me, rushing shots because im thinking what other people are thinking. It really is pathetic and I know this, yet I still cant get away from it

I know how you feel, I used to feel abit like that but the more i go out the more confident i become and even find when i'm using my dslr to take pictures others will get there cameras out aswell to take a shot. But i realy dont let it bother me too much and i am more concerned about how safe it is to use my camera as some places can have some doggy characters walking around who may try to pinch your gear.

I was never too bothered about people looking at me or giving me funny looks until yesterday (Monday) morning. I was taking a photo of a rose bush in a (public) footpath between 2 houses. My lens was pointed in the direction of a living room window but it's very clear I was photographing the rose bush with moving around that one bush, camera pointed down rather than straight ahead. The owner of the house came out and went ballistic at me! I apologised and went on my way without having even got my shot :shake:

You should have told him you were doing surveillance work for MI6 and his house was of interest to them. That would have shut him up. :LOL:

I find i can stroll around places such as London, Warwick, Shrewsbury etc with no issues or concerns. Probably due to the fact there are tourists everywhere. However, this morning in Wolverhampton was a completely different ball game. I was very conscious about walking round with a DSLR and didn't feel very comfortable at all.

I think my main concern was getting robbed by the inbreds with 6 toes.

Try having a go in an area where taking photos is an everyday thing ie a popular tourist town / city and build up confidence that way

I know what you mean about everyone watching you. I suppose thats a price you have to pay if you want to take pictures. Maybe they are just curious and are thinking I might be in the papers tomorrow. I also think that the majority of people dont mind having their picture taken, even quite like it. If you need to gain more confidence why dont you go on one of the meets theres usually somthing going on in the 'meeting place forum' that might help? Confidence in numbers ect.

+1..... There is quite regularly meetings which could put you a lot more at ease - it has definatley helped me!

Feel free to ask to tag along with other people on the forum on outings - most people are glad of the company!

Cheers,

Ste

I just walk around confidently and don't tend to care. I don't shy away and try to look natural. I have my camera with a prime on every day cos of my 365 project.

Some people take my picture and I have my own little game where I try to pull different faces on each shot. Gets a few laughs, when when I'm on my own.

The advice about building confidence in a touristy area is pretty good.

I know nothing about where you live, but I was thinking about your post while in Melbourne yesterday. I was fascinated by the number of people taking photos and with cameras. There were the obvious tourists posing in front of landmarks. There were other people who looked like they were on their way to work - it was a beautiful morning and I was in an area with a fountain and some stunning old buildings. There were others looking like students, just walking by with DSLRs around their necks. I saw at least two people with tripods. Then there was me - early for my meeting (had no choice but to get an early flight), in my suit and tie and snapping away with my phone.

There is no way anyone could have felt self-conscious in that situation.

I think in many situations people will notice you, but often it will just be curiousity as mentioned above (in quieter places, anything out of the ordinary will attract attention), but mostly it will just be that. I know I take notice of other people with cameras - usually out of curiousity about what gear they have or what they are photographing (and wondering if they have seen something I've missed) - and some of your onlookers may be that.

It's all in your mind.

I used to be like that, then gradually forgot about it.

Last edited:
Back