Hyster's 52 (Night added)

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Oh well, here I go.

I don't post many of my pics as I'm pretty pants/still learning and quite self critical, so this 52 thing should be perfect for me.

I will try to keep this going for better or worse and would appreciate ALL comments positive or negative.

If I am making a schoolboy error, please take the time to tell me, if the pic could have been finished better in lightroom and you can be bothered, please show me.

Here's to learning and improving in the next 52 weeks.

Reflections

3184588005_6c40cf91ef_b.jpg

The Missus bought me the cup in Florida last year and the vibrant colours jumped out at me when I was looking for something to use as a subject.

Its just a Mikey Mouse cup on a mirror.

ISO200 50mm f/3.5 1/25sec

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
The image looks a little soft to me, perhaps retake it refocusing on the yellow feet??.

Not sure if it's camera shake did you do it hand held and if yes have you a tripod you could use??

Kudos for taking part Hyster.

It is a little soft, I might have tried to focus on the reflection as well, but that's what's going to make this challenge interesting, different takes on the same subject(y)

Good luck

Well done for taking the first step (no pun intended) (Well just a little one :naughty:) I agree it's a little soft and you can see what looks to be a part of the light reflected on the mirror. If you could also have widened the view just a little to get the whole reflection in it would have balanced a bit more. But it's hard working with mirrors so well done you :clap::clap:. And the colours work well.

Best of luck for the next round too. I've got no idea what do yet but look forward to seeing your next picture.

When I was at college I once took a reflection shot and mounted it upside down by accident :doh:

Cheers for the comments guys, I think you are right, I have been sloppy with the focus, seem to be on Mickey's belly (shallow dof). Should have foucused on his shoes.

I acually used a tripod too,never mind, loads to learn and looking forward to it!

Idea's great. Aren't mirrors a bugger! Usual easy to see afterwards comments, focus point, depth of field. Would mine have been better? Nah! :clap:

Good idea, and nicely done, mirrors just make life extra hard (y)

Nice idea and surely the most recognisable shorts and shoes ever :)

Love the rich warmth of the colours! :clap:

Well done for taking part, and to be honest the best way to learn is to take pictures have them critiqued and then use the experience to make your future shots better. It won't happen overnight, but you will improve if you keep at it.

Good, interesting and different perception of something we all know, just a pity that the image is a bit soft.

Keep it up!

It's a great idea, and compositionally good, perhaps could do with a bit more reflection of the trouser enough to leave a little gap at the bottom, have you tried looking at this in a square image? On the technical side I'm not sure you've got the white balance quite right (seems a bit orange to me) and it is a bit soft (not sure if this is actually a focus problem as I can't see anything in sharp focus so it could be camera shake). However, overall a good start and looking forward to your Week 2 shot.

What have you learned from this week that you could use next week (or if you do this shot again)?

Last edited:
What have you learned from this week that you could use next week (or if you do this shot again)?

Your question spurred me to have another go at the shot,not to post, just for a bit of self improvement.

I reshot it, using a narrower aperture for a greater depth of field, then with a wide aperture and played about with focus points to isolate parts of Mickey. I was more careful with the focusing this time. Happier having done this. Tried it bit more square and it looks a little better. Played with the colour temp too.

Pulled a fair bit of fluff out of my navel tonight :)

Genuine thanks to all who took the time to comment and advise, its the only way I will improve.

Your question spurred me to have another go at the shot,not to post, just for a bit of self improvement.

I reshot it, using a narrower aperture for a greater depth of field, then with a wide aperture and played about with focus points to isolate parts of Mickey. I was more careful with the focusing this time. Happier having done this. Tried it bit more square and it looks a little better. Played with the colour temp too.

Pulled a fair bit of fluff out of my navel tonight :)

Genuine thanks to all who took the time to comment and advise, its the only way I will improve.

Fantastic attitude (y) whether you decide to post it or not the fact you went back and reshot based on peoples comments is great. :clap:

The good thing about being on the lower end of the learning curve is that good feedback is easy to obtain and the easier it is to make noticable improvments. The unfortunate thing is the better you get the harder it is to get quality feedback and the harder it is to improve.

Nice idea. Lovely colours. Good luck with the other 51 and remember it's all about learning and developing so keep posting (y)

Week 2

History

Struggled for inspiration on this one to be honest, this was the best of a few attempts. Could have done with a wider lens for this one.

3204649716_8971b93553_b.jpg

Hey ho, two down.........

It's an eye-catching statue and I'm curious to know more about it. I've never been to Arbroath and I'm not at all certain what the 2 figures are holding aloft.

It look quite dramatic. :)

Jean

I agree - it looks like it tells a story - good shot! Love to know more about it :)

The sky is really blue, almost looks like they have been put in front of a blue backdrop.

Interested to know where the sun was for this, is it hiding behind the stone? Nice shot, and I agree it would be good to know a little bit about the statue.

It's an eye-catching statue and I'm curious to know more about it. I've never been to Arbroath and I'm not at all certain what the 2 figures are holding aloft.

It look quite dramatic. :)

Jean

They are holding the declaration of Arbroath. The quote below explains It better than I could.

‘It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.’
Extract from the Declaration of Arbroath, 1320.

The Declaration of Arbroath is without doubt the most famous document in Scottish history. Like the American Declaration of Independence, which is partially based on it, it is seen by many as the founding document of the Scottish nation. It was drafted on the 6th April 1320 - a day the United States of America has declared to be Tartan Day.

The Declaration is a Latin letter which was sent to Pope John XXII in April/May 1320. It was most likely drafted in the scriptorium of Arbroath Abbey by Abbot Bernard on behalf of the nobles and barons of Scotland. It was one of three letters sent to the Pope in Avignon, the other two being from King Robert Bruce himself and from four Scottish bishops, attempting to abate papal hostility. The document received the seals of several Scottish barons and it then was taken to the papal court at Avignon in France by Sir Adam Gordon.

:agree: but it works well. I like it (y) So when is the new camera arriving :D?

You have either done some crazy perspective thing or that is a massive pencil - great stuff :)

I was struggling for inspiration when I passed my daughters bedroom and saw this huge pencil and the idea for the pic just jumped into my head.

I love this one. The pencil is almost 3D in the way it jumps out at you.

A little dubious that this was handwritten though. Not sure you deserve that 5D for cheating :LOL:

Used a bit of tinfoil to throw some light onto the pencil and the lines were printed out in word, used a handwriting font.

Got a really funny look from one of my neighbours when she passed walking her dog, I was balancing standing on a chair with with my tripod on a table.

Oh well, as Adam Ant said "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of" :LOL:

Amazing shot, cleverly done and original :)

And it looks like you haven't learned a thing despite the 'lines' :D

:clap::clap::clap:

Wow, that is a very clever piece of photography, I agree that lines probably aren't the most effective way of learning and there is what looks like a cup ring in the top left of the image. However, I love the way the pencil seems to be writing it by itself and hanging in mid air - very Harry Potter. I presume there had to be some PP going on and you aren't actually a graduate of Hogwarts ;)

Great image that fits the theme well (y)

I'm looking forward to your "surprise" image next week

That is very good, and creativity off the scale!
But I like it :)

(Trust Simon to point out a mucky mark :) )

A+ for effort, creativity and having a great idea (y)

That is a crazy photo...and I love it..:love:

I was wondering how you got the pencil to look so large..:thinking:

Excellent....(y)

Back