I discovered some lighting

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Last week at work the biology dept wanted loads of lamps in a far lab. So I suggested what we used the physics dept new desk lamps, which we bought last year, replacing all the old mains powered incandescent lamps.
Which are https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxnor-Fol...TF8&qid=1528670699&sr=1-68&keywords=desk+lamp

Biology weren't sure if their plants would like them for a specific experiment, so I got a spectroscope and took a look at them. Damn, they are daylight lamps with a pretty even spectra.
Then it clicked, MACRO!! I'm going to get a couple of these to play with at home too, small enough to be portable out in the field too.

What you guys think?

The spec in the advert is a bit vague, but 2.4W with LED, flicker-free and your spectroscope check of a good spectrum, plus come with their own little adjustable stand and pack down well for portability! Not just useful for macro, but quick small product product portable studio-type work. Excellent for the price!

@Pete B: Does the head lift up so the light can be projected horizontally?

The advert only shows then slightly tilted ... I'm thinking of using them with a light tent instead of speedlights.

@Pete B: That's excellent - thanks for the images. I think I'll get a few of these and experiement with them :)

I belive Chris has used them

My daughter has something like this in her room as a bed-side lamp, I have often been tempted to 'borrow' it for indoor macro, but usually just end up using flash. Just ordered one since I was on there grabbing an adapter , see how it goes, if it's any way usable for my needs I'll grab a couple more!

Last edited:
I belive Chris has used them

The medium format viewer
by chris malcolm on Talk Photography

Here they are in my first photographic use of them -- to photograph a big transparency against a bright white piece of paper lit by them. They're not switched on in the photo. I've also found one very convenient to light some paperwork by the side of the computer when working in dim light. Can't really say more about these new purchases except that they seem well designed, well made, and a bargain given the good colour spectrum Pete B found. I'm happy with my purchase.

Mine arrived today, just tested it this evening and for it's size, it's impressive the amount of light it can give off. I am kinda sorry I didn't just grab 2 while I was at it. Here is a quick phone pic just to show how far you can lean it before it'll topple, you can always put a weight on the base to push it a little further. These would be great for product photography. I also tried it with some kitchen roll taped to the front as a diffuser, as it doesn't get hot it works really well :)

The DPLED5S was the only light on in the kitchen at the time, taken just now [11:50 pm] so it was dark outside, just for light reference. Just the phone's auto WB here too, not a true representation of the light you get but you can tell it is nice 'white' light, just like you'd expect from a flash.

DPLED5S.jpg

I have it plugged into the laptop, but also have batteries in, no difference in output, and I love that you can switch between the two. No worrying about batteries being used up when plugged in,

Last edited:
I have two waiting for me at the PO to collect.

The more I see of you guys tests and experiments they do look like usefull bits of kit :)

The only thing I wish this little light had, was a power control slider. I have mine on here beside me using it as a side lamp when at the laptop. I have it facing the wall bouncing the light back as it's too bright! But, for the money can't really complain, and you can dim it down when needed with some white paper or even kitchen roll

There is a similar looking model, slightly more expensive, and takes 4AA batteries, which has three brightness settings here

Of course that model doesn't have the benefit of having been analysed and tested by the fine members of this forum!

There is a similar looking model, slightly more expensive, and takes 4AA batteries, which has three brightness settings here

Of course that model doesn't have the benefit of having been analysed and tested by the fine members of this forum!

Nice, might get one to pair with this one.

Just noticed it is available from a Marketplace seller for £6.93 inc delivery, so is actually cheaper!

Word of caution: I happened to have mine plugged in tonight and switched between usb and battery and already I can notice a significant drop in power/light on the batteries. Now, the batteries I used were cheap-ish Alkalines, nothing special, and I did leave it on battery by mistake for a while when right at the laptop last night when i should have been sparing them. Just be mindful, if you have batteris in, only use it when actually required, and ensure it's switched to the right option if you use both usb power and batteries.

Back