I have been accepted.

That's a fantastic achievement Charlie! My bro and my Dad have been feeding the squidgers in their back garden for a good while now, I don't know if any of them have come that close.
Well done and I'll look forward to seeing more close up action. (y)
T.

I had to do a double take mind you - I wondered what George Clooney was doing there. ;)

You think if I had been that close to George Clooney Id have been able to take that pic with no camera shake? ;) :LOL:

Just to say that Charlie and his wife Cathie were wonderful hosts as always, they have everything planned from the moment I arrive to the moment I go, taking me everywhere for photo opportunities and we have a great laugh too.

The highlight is always these charming squirrels though, Charlie has many shots OF them, but I couldnt resist getting a shot of him WITH them.

Thanks again, Charlie. (y)

Last edited:
That is just such a great image of a fella at one with nature.

You think if I had been that close to George Clooney Id have been able to take that pic with no camera shake? ;) :LOL:

Just to say that Charlie and his wife Cathie were wonderful hosts as always, they have everything planned from the moment I arrive to the moment I go, taking me everywhere for photo opportunities and we have a great laugh too.

The highlight is always these charming squirrels though, Charlie has many shots OF them, but I couldnt resist getting a shot of him WITH them.

Thanks again, Charlie. (y)

What has George Clooney got that I havent then. Apart from hair ,looks, money etc etc.:LOL:

Thanks for the comment though Janice. As always it was a pleasure to meet you again. Never a dull (or quiet) moment when Janice is about. Very partial to a chinese meal is oor Janice.:LOL:

I would also like to thank you all once more for the words of encouragement.

I do not own the land where the hide is so I am lucky indeed. Gordon the land owner has been very supportive by allowing me to build the hide on his land. He also takes a keen interest in the squirrels & is always asking how they are doing.
Some day soon I must get round to finishing his cabin for him by way of thanks.:LOL:

Is the beer fridge installed yet?

Is the beer fridge installed yet?

A beer fridge in the hide now thats a great idea :LOL::LOL:. Great to see you so happy mate, you deserve it after what you've been through hope it all works out for you mate :D(y)

This is the most refreshing threads I've set eyes on in a long while. No humungus number of pixels, no excessive mm's, nothing contentious....just simple patience and understanding...well done Charlie :clap:

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. BigLoada the squirrel is the star of the shot. Me I am just part of the landscape to them now which is as it should be. For the past few evenings now when I have been inside the hide getting some food for the Coalies a red has sat at the door looking in & watching with interest what I am doing!

Thank you all for the kind comments. It really has been a pleasure reading them.
A wee story if I may.
A year or two back things were very different for me.
My wife was diagnosed with cancer & was given 6 months if she did not have major surgery. It has been a long haul but she made it.
A young lad of 19 I tried to help when nobody else would took his own life.
I was "retired" from my job after 37 years loyal service.
It took a wee while but I think that picture shows that I am now a happy contented old fella who is getting great pleasure studying these wee squirrels.
Never been happier!

Thanks again Janice for capturing the moment(y)

And what a fantastic chap you sound, well deserving of getting the wildlife's respect and trust. They look like they show complete faith in you and don't seem nervous or twitchy at all...

You'll be building 'em a mansion next :LOL:

Have just read through the whole thread, well done to you for feeding the wee beasties and bird. It must have been a hellish time for you all, good luck for happier times ahead :) I love looking out for your red ones :)

Thanks Janice for letting us all see the man behind the camera in all his glory.

(y)

Have just read through the whole thread, well done to you for feeding the wee beasties and bird. It must have been a hellish time for you all, good luck for happier times ahead :) I love looking out for your red ones :)

Thanks Janice for letting us all see the man behind the camera in all his glory.

(y)

Thank you but there is not a lot of glory about me.

When the young lad did the deed I went through months of blaming myself for not doing enough for him. I honestly could not think what more I could have done though. The bit that really hurt was his funeral was private & although I know his folks I was not invited.Feels as if there has been no finish to that bit if you get my drift.

But as you see from the shot I have great fun with the wildlife on the hill. The squirrels are great fun to watch.

Janice was a real friend in taking that shot as I think she had a fair idea what was in my mind.

Brilliant Charlie, we'll have to meet up for definate next time I'm up at my mum and dads :)

awww nice! :D
but reminds me of...

ca083-02838v.jpg

;)
xxx

I wouldnt waste some good oak on you, Charlie.

Id use a lump of cardboard!! :D

OOh yes, sawman, you DO have a strange resemblence to Snow White... must be that blue dress you wear at the weekends! ;) :LOL:

You are a very lucky person, what a fantastic place. I was fortunate enough to feed the black squirrels out in Austria earlier this year and it really was a wonderful experience. We heard later that people also feed the small birds at the same place but we only had a bag of large nuts with us so not sure if it was true, they did come very close though as if they were waiting for something. I could have sat there for hours watching them.

I've booked to go back to the same place next year so I'll try and get some bird feed for them whilst I'm there. I can't wait.

You lucky lucky man, cracking shot, WELL DONE!!

All thats missing is Bambi and Thumper, its like a scene from Bambi, well done on getting them to come that close (y)

OH YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :LOL: :woot:

All thats missing is Bambi and Thumper, its like a scene from Bambi, well done on getting them to come that close (y)

Would Roe count for Bambi? Yes there is also a rabbit that comes for peanuts.;)

meant to comment on this when I saw it earlier but that's one of the nicest photos on here ever :clap:

mission accomplished :p

Nah, it just says so much about the patience and perseverance you've put in with the hide and the trust you've established with the local wildlife. I'm just blown away with it, huge congratulations to you :)

Back