Beginner I realise I'll get flamed for wanting to aquire yet another camera but...

It probably doesn’t apply in this case but there are now people who’ve only used phone cameras and may be good photographers (for some definition of the word) but they evidently have a hard time getting used to aperture etc.

I do think that people (like us) take camera use for granted, probably because some of us have been using them for decades. Even quite clued up youngsters in my family have no idea of exposure triangles and all the dials and buttons because they've never done it.

If you're planning to take the D50 to a comic con in a couple of weeks (which is what I think I've read here), then as well as practicing outdoors, you'll want to practice shooting indoors, and figuring out at what shutter speeds you can handhold comfortably / what the max ISO you're happy with is.
You'll already know how bad the lighting is at most of these events (I've seen that you've taken photos at events on your Flickr), and at this time of the year, most cosplay events are indoors.

If you're planning to take the D50 to a comic con in a couple of weeks (which is what I think I've read here), then as well as practicing outdoors, you'll want to practice shooting indoors, and figuring out at what shutter speeds you can handhold comfortably / what the max ISO you're happy with is.
You'll already know how bad the lighting is at most of these events (I've seen that you've taken photos at events on your Flickr), and at this time of the year, most cosplay events are indoors.
I've took a couple of photos indoors (which I'll upload next week when I can get them off the SD card) including a close up of a red Postbox on the top of my road, taken from out of my window in the rain.

I've took a couple of photos indoors (which I'll upload next week when I can get them off the SD card) including a close up of a red Postbox on the top of my road, taken from out of my window in the rain.
Do you need any help uploading them richard? Do you have a card reader or can you plug the Camera straight into your pc?

we don't need to critique your practice shots chap (unless you want some guidance / suggestions), it's purely a suggestion so that you're practiced with the camera in the conditions you'll be hitting. It helps you to know how the camera is going to behave, and have an idea of what the output is going to look like.

Out of interest, which convention is it that you're going to next?

we don't need to critique your practice shots chap (unless you want some guidance / suggestions), it's purely a suggestion so that you're practiced with the camera in the conditions you'll be hitting. It helps you to know how the camera is going to behave, and have an idea of what the output is going to look like.

Out of interest, which convention is it that you're going to next?
Sheffield comic con on March 13th at Magna Adventure Centre (which technically's in Rotherham, just past Meadowhall) the next one after's Doncaster on the 3rd of April.

@MrRichAllen1976 I agree with @Gremlin. Whilst I don't have any Nikons, 99.9% of SD cards are ejected by gently pushing them in a mm or so, which releases them and they spring out.
Thanks, I'll download/upload my stuff next week.

And weather permitting I'll pop across to the Ponderosa (local Park) and take some scenery shots, or nip in the Cathedral in Town for some shots next week.

Thanks, I'll download/upload my stuff next week.

And weather permitting I'll pop across to the Ponderosa (local Park) and take some scenery shots, or nip in the Cathedral in Town for some shots next week.
Good luck and enjoy, remember when you stop for a shot to look behind yourself afterwards as sometimes there's another shot to be had (y)

Good luck and enjoy, remember when you stop for a shot to look behind yourself afterwards as sometimes there's another shot to be had (y)
And always ask if someone you don't know gets into frame if it's OK to take their photo, I remember several years ago I was on a Photography course and was taking pics outside the Cathedral at the Tram stop, this old bloke got in the shot and turned nasty, threatened to stuff the camera up my arse.

And always ask if someone you don't know gets into frame if it's OK to take their photo, I remember several years ago I was on a Photography course and was taking pics outside the Cathedral at the Tram stop, this old bloke got in the shot and turned nasty, threatened to stuff the camera up my arse.
You find silly people from time to time :( don't let it spoil your fun (y)

Agreed Rich. As you know, Cosplay is NOT Consent.

Thanks, and if I can work out how to dig out the SD card from the camera
Assuming you have a card reader? don't forget that you can also download direct from the camera, without removing the card.
Usually its a USB to the PC and a micro USB to the camera.

Now you have got your camera sorted if you want any help and guidance with your photos you need to do the following.
Turn ON image editing-otherwise nobody can show you how to make improvements and what can be done and how to do it.
Tell us what computer you have
Tell us what image editing software ( if any you are using ), its no good any showing you what can be done in Photoshop or whatever if you do not have it and your computer will not run it.

Now you have got your camera sorted if you want any help and guidance with your photos you need to do the following.
Turn ON image editing-otherwise nobody can show you how to make improvements and what can be done and how to do it.
Tell us what computer you have
Tell us what image editing software ( if any you are using ), its no good any showing you what can be done in Photoshop or whatever if you do not have it and your computer will not run it.
We know that he uses Linux.

Assuming you have a card reader? don't forget that you can also download direct from the camera, without removing the card.
Usually its a USB to the PC and a micro USB to the camera.
I think the D50 pre-dates micro USB cables. The socket on the camera is probably USB Mini-B. The official cable, if there's not one in the box, is the Nikon UC-E4. A card reader may well be faster, of course, though the D50 at least has high-speed USB2, a step up from the much slower D70.

I think the D50 pre-dates micro USB cables. The socket on the camera is probably USB Mini-B. The official cable, if there's not one in the box, is the Nikon UC-E4. A card reader may well be faster, of course, though the D50 at least has high-speed USB2, a step up from the much slower D70.
Fair enough thanks for the correction.
I know nothing of Nikon's traits and assumed they were "normal" :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
Comic Con the lighting is generally poor in these venues - a flash may be of a help to you to fill in the dark spots

TbV3gBl.jpg

Les

Comic Con the lighting is generally poor in these venues - a flash may be of a help to you to fill in the dark spots

TbV3gBl.jpg

Les

Having been to a couple of shows/expo's at Magna, I'd agree that the lighting isn't going to be up to much at all, however, using a compact camera rather than a dslr, off camera flash sn't really much of an option, and it's a far more complex consignment of angling bait than I'm going to attempt to open in this situation. ;)

below's a shot from a bike show that was on there a while ago... typical stark halogens up on the side walls (in-keeping with the locations industrial past) - hopefully however the side walls of the venue may well provide some decent in-keeping backdrops to any photos....

ETAfEnOXsAsDgYn.jpg

and it's a far more complex consignment of angling bait than I'm going to attempt to open in this situation
My thoughts exactly. I do shoot cosplay and the like, and I wouldn't be without portable lighting.
However, let's get Rich used to his camera using available light before venturing into the veritable minefield that is lighting...

I can probably edit the lighting and that in GIMP if needed, I'm doing a course on Udemy.com at the moment for that.

I can probably edit the lighting and that in GIMP if needed, I'm doing a course on Udemy.com at the moment for that.

Its always best to try and get it right in camera though. I think with a couple of weeks of practise you should be able to get some nice photos that doesn't require hours of photoshoppery to get right.

Back